On the topic of record furniture...

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
How do you all have your turntables set up? I am shopping around for something a little bit nicer for my 2x 1200 phonographs than the coffee-table-on-cinder-block setup I have now. I am considering one of those models that are custom made for turntables but I sure as hell don't want one of those hanging-from-chains jobs that you see in the club. Any functional setups, and/or places to shop for such things, anyone can reccomend are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    WT,

You looking for form, function or both?

A custom table seems, to me, excessive if function is all you want. It might look good though and that's not for nothing.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i'm rocking milk crates and sheets of unfinished wood which is highly functional but kind of sore on the eyes.

these are nice, although expensive.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    a few years ago i posted an ad on craigslist asking if any carpenter could make me something that looked like a few of the models posted on www.dualsf.com. (looks like that page is down, but one of the models is the first image in the post above mine) i got close to a dozen responses and i ended up being able to get something very close to what they have on that site for about 1/3 the price. my only regret is that i had it made pre-Microwave so, although i have cut-outs for the turntables and mixer, i didn't think to get a high-rise laptop stand.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Thanks for the responses -- some of those pics are exactly what I imagined. What's the price range on something like that? As far as form v. function -- I'm aiming right down the middle.

I'd take something that is a little higher than a kitchen table but I don't necessarily need cutouts for the tables and the mixer. Storage below is icing on the cake.

Maybe I'll query Craigslist, though I'd be a bit weary of running into a lazy/low-skilled contractor browsing the web instead of working a job. It's construction season,

• I bought a good piece of "raw" kitchensink / kitchenblade (1.8 x 0.8 meter) and put that up on these:

cost me around $80 total and looks pretty good.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    For the budget solution, I picked up one of these:

I think the set was about $30 at Home Despot.

You can set this up 1/2 height, the top is plenty big enough for two turntables, then below that I have the amp etc on a shelf and 45 storage in boxes below that. I'll see if I can find a photo.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    There we go, this is the setup a couple of years ago:

This is probably a bit ruder than you were thinking; I'm planning on upgrading myself soon.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Oooo... the plot thickens. I think I will just go to Home Depot and make this shit happen. So many options, I'm going to improvise and see what I can come up with.