KUSF finds?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Dude, this was the WORST time I've ever had. I bought a grand total of TWO items after getting there at 6am.1) Cassietta George: This Time for $2. Cool gospel soul/funk but I'd be impressed if I can even flip this for the price of early admission. I should have been like XXXXXX and avoided the admissions dude and avoid paying.2) X-Clan: To the East Blackwards on cassette...which is funny since I've actually been wanting to have this on cassette just to listen to in the car. $1. At one point, I thought I scored with a $10 copy of Charles Kynard's "Afrodisiac" but it was VG and noisy enough with crackle that it wasn't worth it. Luckily, I handed it off to someone else who I thought might want it.

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    after the relatively poor showing at the last show, i decided to catch some zzz's instead. i was damn close to staying up all night too but was like fuck it. i'm curious though to see what people pulled. was the room even full of dealers this time?

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    Dude, this was the WORST time I've ever had. I bought a grand total of TWO items after getting there at 6am.

I felt the same way after the last KUSF I went to. It was the most expensive bagel I've ever purchased. I left completely dejected.

I spent my morning at the flea market and scored a double of

• For real, I think this is the last time I'll be bothering with KUSF. The last three shows have been god-awful. And I put in my due diligence, got there at 6 a.m. and everything. I'm starting to realize record shows are antiquated and irrelevant, at least if your aim is to find some good records at good prices.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    For real, I think this is the last time I'll be bothering with KUSF. The last three shows have been god-awful. And I put in my due diligence, got there at 6 a.m. and everything. I'm starting to realize record shows are antiquated and irrelevant, at least if your aim is to find some good records at good prices.

Is this really the situation in SF?

I was out there I guess last September and did real well at KUSF. Nothing at all mindblowing but solid records for 25-50% of their (NYC) value. Couple nice things like African Blue and Funkadelic S/T sealed. For resale, it wasn't mindblowing... but it was solid and worth the time/money. Don't know if I would feel the same way if I was only looking for myself though.

Shows out here still crack, although there's certainly better ones and worse ones. I skipped Wayne this weekend because I have as much $5-10 rock as I need right now. :/

There's almost a show every week out here, if you're willing to travel a couple hours. For some reason I feel like it's not so hot in the Bay, I know the Hoffbrau swap was a joke last time I went... although I did catch a couple nice things.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    JP and others,

I wasn't at the last KUSF but b/c it fell on the same date as Austin, apparently, half the dealers didn't show. Ouch.

Today - I'd say only about 2/3rds of the tables were taken up and while there were some good finds (ha - ask Justin, that bastard), a lot of the dealers I generally look forward to seeing have ditched KUSF and either gone online exclusively or just don't bother.

That's not to say it's totally worthless, but more than ever, it's really a luck-of-the-draw game b/c I think the number of dealers that people like you and I would benefit from are not coming.

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    I'm still boycotting the early bird ridicolosity, so I rolled in at like 12:30 with low expectations. Yeah not much there, espcially that late. For the record here's what I grabbed for $50 total:

Carlos Garnet - Black Love
    Jackie Mittoo - that S/T from '78 on UA
    Ruth Copeland - Self Portrait
    Jorge Ben - Big Ben Strikes Again
    Dennis Coffey - Instant Coffey (don't know why it took this long to track down)

I live way too close to USF to stop showing up entirely, but yeah, it's getting to be a lot less of a priority.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Man I feel so much better that I decided to sleep in. I went to that Record Man sale yesterday and that was enough record digging for me/being around "vinyl freaks" for one weekend.

I slept in, deejayed at the Haight St. Fair and got drunk.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Totally forgot about this one. The last one I went to was pretty good but probably did it a year ago or so. Some dealer was there with some pretty good hip-hop vinyl selling for extremely reasonable prices. Nothing super rare but I remember getting Return of the Crooklyn Dodgers for $5, some $5 Too Short and Ice-T (meh) and some old Run-DMC. Stuff that would have gone for $8 to $15 elsewhere.

I will never attend another Mama Buzz Cafe record swap again. Lots of garbage.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I have missed the last 4 or 5 KUSF swaps and don't feel like I missed anything in the process. The show use to be the best, but what with the increased early bid admission price, and the simple lack of good records the last couple times I did show up, make this a fading priority for me. I'd much rather sleep, especially on Sunday, which is the only day of the week I get to do this nowadays.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Does anyone know if dealers are cool with you bringing your own portable? There's always a dealer there that uses a fisher price turntable.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Does anyone know if dealers are cool with you bringing your own portable? There's always a dealer there that uses a fisher price turntable.

most dealers are fine with it. just ask before you do.

One thing I don't get is, this is not a very big show... it is a fraction of even small town shows out here... why are they charging $25 for early bird??? That's pretty steep. Holiday Inn shows out here charge that but there's much better stuff to be had. A couple things that popped up last time I was there:

Demon Fuzz 2nd
    Love "Out Here"
    Musart
    OG Fela
    Lee Perry Productions
    etc etc etc.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    One thing I don't get is, this is not a very big show... it is a fraction of even small town shows out here... why are they charging $25 for early bird??? That's pretty steep. Holiday Inn shows out here charge that but there's much better stuff to be had. A couple things that popped up last time I was there:

Demon Fuzz 2nd
    Love "Out Here"
    Musart
    OG Fela
    Lee Perry Productions
    etc etc etc.

Goddamn, you guys have to pay $25 to get into a record fair?
    I thought having to pay $5 was bad!

And Johnny, how is that 2nd demon Fuzz record? I been wondering for a minute.

I like it, others hate it.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    im glad you all are complaining... i did great yesterday with rap 12s and soul 45s. there were some great reggae finds and my boy got some rare free jazz LPs and straight ahead ones as well. my pal barry got a nice load of northern soul 45s and there was a good collection of Holiday Inn 45s with good titles that you all missed as well. homeboy there pulled the melvin sparks for $5 too...

and at mama buzz i got some rare rap 12s and good funk LPs. i spent $60 and made over $300 on that stuff... mostly by selling it here on the strut. i had breakfast when they were setting up the show and walked right in before everyone else cause, surprisingly enough, ed and i actually get along pretty well. he underpriced a bunch of local rap 12s that day. and my boy kca brough the ill rap records that i made a killing on.

then again... i buy to resell and make more money. if youre only in it to build a collection then maybe they are bad shows...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    then again... i buy to resell and make more money. if youre only in it to build a collection then maybe they are bad shows...

Truth

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    It was a bit of work,but I did good...
    highlights
    Eastcoast on Encounter for $10
    Glenn Branca on 99 $2
    Bob Smith "The Visit"(Trade)
    Freddy Hughes"Send My Baby Back' -$70
    A stack of Decent to Good Reggae @$2 each
    Score of the Day-
    OG Count Ossie "Groundation" on Ashanti for $20

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Man I feel so much better that I decided to sleep in. I went to that Record Man sale yesterday and that was enough record digging for me/being around "vinyl freaks" for one weekend.

That's exactly what I did. I was way too drunk on Sunday morning to do any kind of digging. Did you get anything good at the Record Man? I picked up 20 or so decent records. Nothing spectacular, but good for $1 each.

I wanted to go up to him when I was checking out and say, 'See! This is what happens when you don't overcharge for your records. People come to your store. You could actually get some business. What a concept!' But instead I just gave him my $20 and left.

The real damage this weekend was at Groove Merchant. Heaven Sent & Ecstasy - sooooooo nice!

DJ Ferrari

• Options

Roots and Offshoots? I don't even bother with the other one.

K.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I slept in, deejayed at the Haight St. Fair and got drunk.

Ditto!

Okay, so I didn't get drunk, but I did have two beers and played reggae for an hour. My homie set up his sound system on Ashbury three doors up from the Ben & Jerry's. Very nice afternoon (and nothing caught on fire).

I picked up 20 37 or so decent records. Nothing spectacular, but good for $1 each.

I was the first one there, felt like the biggest dork, but yeah man some okay stuff (basically upgraded some classics and shit that I can get store credit on).

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I was the first one there, felt like the biggest dork, but yeah man some okay stuff (basically upgraded some classics and shit that I can get store credit on).

Yeah, I figured he was gonna be a dick about it and not let anyone in until the advertised 9:00 starting time so I got there at 8:45 expecting a line instead of the mass crowd that was already browsing through the boxes. Luckily it was mostly old rock dudes.

DJ Ferrari

PS - Killer hat R**s

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    I picked up 20 37 or so decent records. Nothing spectacular, but good for $1 each.

oh, hey P*tr*ck thanks for the voice mail Saturday morning , your tone alone helped me feel better about not getting up for that shit.

-B-

K.

Yeah, ha ha! Dude people are MAD when they spend a grip on it and find that it's not FUNKY enough!

• Options

K.

Yeah, ha ha! Dude people are MAD when they spend a grip on it and find that it's not FUNKY enough!

PS - Killer hat beard chinstrap combo R**s

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

PS - Killer hat beard chinstrap combo R**s

C'mon, now. Don't you know that snazzy facial hair is the 18th element of hip-hop? Ross is keepin' it real while face-shavers like me play the sideline.