Berlin Strut

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
hey, whats good in terms of: record shops, food, sights, etc.......

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Check out Alexander Platz for all the museums. They do a good funk night at The Bohannon in Mitte. Food sucks there, but you live in London now so you're prolly used to it Records are there, but real expensive.

Berlin is an amazing place and extremely dynamic, but things are hidden. You need to get hooked up with a local to show you around. I'm sure there's some strutter love there. Hopefully you'll find as helpfull a tour-guide as I had in Vancouver.

• Pedro's is a good place for records in Berlin. And Soultrade (expensive though). Check the Yellow Pages. Where's piedpiper? He knows a store that I've never been to... you should try to go there. Sounds like it could be fun.

And the flea markets are supposed to be nice, although I never found a decent one myself.

I can't complain about the food. Some nice coffee bars and some very cool fast food places. I don't remember where it was, but that one Lebanese place was fantastic. Cheap vegetarian snacks and whole meals. Really great. I'd try to avoid the D??ner Kebaps unless you find a real Turkish place. But I wouldn't even think about eating a Kebap at a Turkish restaurant. Real Turkish food is totally different from Kebap.

You should check out the Soul Explosion night. It used to be Frank's Funk night. It's either Funk or Reggae at the Pavillon (www.soulexplosion.de). The Soul Explosion night hosts a club night at my home town and the people love it. Definitely the best Funk party in Germany. Mostly Funk 45s.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I don't remember where it was, but that one Lebanese place was fantastic. Cheap vegetarian snacks and whole meals. Really great.

Sounds like the one where I`ve been recently. It`s in Friedrichshain at the Boxhagener Platz (aka Boxi Kiez). Fantastic food.

• I don't remember where it was, but that one Lebanese place was fantastic. Cheap vegetarian snacks and whole meals. Really great.

Sounds like the one where I`ve been recently. It`s in Friedrichshain at the Boxhagener Platz (aka Boxi Kiez). Fantastic food.

Could be... I really can't remember. I can't recall which place I stayed at. I think it was Friedrichshain...

• major co-sign on the museums. maybe the best collections on earth?! peace, stein. . .

• i went to berlin a few weeks ago....

fun and interesting city. not much warmth to it, though.

The best record shop i found was in the mitte (the city centre bit of east berlin) on Friedrrich strasse -really close to Oranienburger tor U-bahn. it looks a bit lame from outside and there's not much upstairs but the basement is massive and chock full of shit. prices were pretty ecent aswell. although i am coming from the UK where records are massively over priced compared to the states.

there was another decent record store in the Kurfurstendamm.... theres a massive, bullet riddled, blown up church in the middle of the square (near the zoo) and opposite it there's a big music shop that looks like a lame sam goody kinda joint. but it has a massive vinyl bit that is mostly second hand. tonnes of 45's.

apparently there's a great record shop around 70 Kantstrasse (over in west berlin a bit) but i never made it over there .... even though my hotel was right near it i deiscovered on the last day!!

everyone told me that the flea markets at the weekend were the best places for vinyl but i was there in the week so didnt see them.

i trekked miles across the city to find this shop called "wowsville" that i read was good somewhere only to find EVERY record in the shop was a new 180g reissue!!! what is the point in that??? who would be interested??!! don't go there.

there's tonnes of museums everywhere as stated... up on museum island there's the old natinal gallery - -which has some amazing art in it. and not too far from the first record shop i mentioned up in the mitte is the old Hamburger Bahnhof --- which is an old station that is now turned into a modern art gallery.... tottally amazing --- massive fucking Warhols everywhere. definately go there if you're interested.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

Berlin is an amazing place and extremely dynamic, but things are hidden.

record shops are scattered in the whole city.

I think the discogs site has a nice list of shops. I also dropped a list a couple of weeks ago on here. It very much depends on what you are looking for and I would not recommend to waste your time in the wrong shops. Currently Pedros, Voice of stars, 2*2, Fatwax & da capo are the best 2nd hand shops.

there??s a massive amount of various cutting edge museums, nightlife is , places to eat are not hard to find and the best thing about all that: it??s rather cheap.

I am happy to guide anyone who is interested if I have free time.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

I forgot to mention Berlin's current object of interest number one: cute knut

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    i went to berlin a few weeks ago....

fun and interesting city. not much warmth to it, though.

This is such a provincial English view of Germany

Sayin, I grew up near Brum & Cov, don't tell me about what has warmth or not

Berlin rules, it's like a world city with a large amount of nature and places to get away from the hustle and bustle. And this is an undisputable fact: the hottest hookers in the world.