Should I move back to NY?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Been in L.A. for 5 years and it's starting to get old.Tired of the driving and suburban lifestyle (although i'll miss the space and weather-no doubt). My family and friends are in NY - which is nice. But i'm afraid NY's gotten to be too much of a playround for the rich or worse- a playround for trust fund hipsters. Whattya think?

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    what do you do for a living?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

in the ad biz

• i'd say no. if you've been away for 5 years, you won't even begin to believe how bad its got...see for yourself at www.brownstoner.com.

go back for a weekend, and see how you like it -- if not, there's always detroit.

• i'm so sick of real estate. jesus...such an oppressive, omnipresent subject/conversation/topic/story.

• Detroit on the ad front is fucked, don't do it.

• gotta live somewhere, player.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    i'm so sick of real estate. jesus...such an oppressive, omnipresent subject/conversation/topic/story.

Dude, the Boston area is an extreme case. Rents and property values around here are going through the roof - or at least they were until the real estate bubble popped.

It might be a better situation now, but I guess I'll see when I move in a couple of months.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i say move, it's always better to be close to friends and fam.plus, the 5 boroughs ain't all hipsterfied.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Been in L.A. for 5 years and it's starting to get old.Tired of the driving and suburban lifestyle (although i'll miss the space and weather-no doubt).

Same with me. I've been here all my life, but I need a change. However, while I've never been on the Northeast coast, I would like to move somewhere more middle of the road where it rains a good part of the year, costs less, isn't too sheltered, rural or conservative and has a good social atmosphere.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    probably

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Same with me. I've been here all my life, but I need a change. However, while I've never been on the Northeast coast, I would like to move somewhere more middle of the road where it rains a good part of the year, costs less, isn't too sheltered, rural or conservative and has a good social atmosphere.

Sounds like you are looking to move to the NW, Portland and Seattle fit the bill perfectly.

Sounds like you are looking to move to the NW, Portland and Seattle fit the bill perfectly.

Oh shit did I just tell a Californian to move north? Please don't tell anyone, I could get
    my NW pass revoked!

Ha! I started in Portland 6 years ago...not for me.

i say move, it's always better to be close to friends and fam.plus, the 5 boroughs ain't all hipsterfied.

YUP- I HEAR YA.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

in the ad biz

plenty of work for native english creatives in Amsterdam.

Ha! I started in Portland 6 years ago...not for me.

Alright...so I guess you don't want exactly what you described previously then.
    Ad man huh? Let me guess, came to Portland to work at W*#den and K#nn%dy?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Oh shit did I just tell a Californian to move north? Please don't tell anyone, I could get
    my NW pass revoked!

"Dude that was uncool"[/b]

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    other than that nyc will remain the most over rated place ive called home...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    other than that nyc will remain the most over rated place ive called home...

Like someone said earlier. Not all the 5 boroughs are "hipster". If you come back u better do some real homework 'cause there are some suspect neighborhoods in NYC.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    no he is just a los angeleno stuck in the big city

I can understand, even if I can't relate (I don't care much for LA )

NYC is great, but in a sense it's kind of "over"

Something needs to happen, a financial crash or big terrorist attack (god forbid), to scare away the yuppies and the trust funders, scare them right back to CT/MA/NJ/IA/CA/OR/UT/etcetcetc

This city has lost a lot of flavor over the years, but it's still the biggest/fastest/most international city in this country. Couldn't do what I do anywhere else, that's for sure.

NYC is great, but in a sense it's kind of "over"

Something needs to happen, a financial crash or big terrorist attack (god forbid), to scare away the yuppies and the trust funders, scare them right back to CT/MA/NJ/IA/CA/OR/UT/etcetcetc

This city has lost a lot of flavor over the years, but it's still the biggest/fastest/most international city in this country. Couldn't do what I do anywhere else, that's for sure.

There are still "Old" NYC hoods still avoiding Yuppification. If someone wanted to move here and avoid the new nyc they could.

I think even the fact that you are saying "avoid yuppification" speaks volumes...

I agree that some parts of Old NYC are there but, you know, everything is everything...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

VS.

Gee, let me see.....

I think even the fact that you are saying "avoid yuppification" speaks volumes...

I agree that some parts of Old NYC are there but, you know, everything is everything...

No doubt.

I have no problem w/ the growth and change in NYC. But if cats wanna move here to get that "New Yawk" thang, I would recommend looking outside of 59th to Wall St. But if your a baller, well then it dont matter.

I take advantage of all the aspects. The chi-chi to the gully.
    The other cats above were concerned w/ the "trust fund" stuff.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    as with anything in life, you make the most out of it.

It depends on what you prefer....

walk or drive
    close cultural ties vs divided municipalities

I personally could never live in LA, the amount of driving is such a deterrant.

I would hate life if this was my house

NYC Beckys

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I would hate life if this was my house

Seriously. I think it would completely suck the life out of me.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

NYC Beckys

Those girls are from Jersey.

I dont see st8 up B-girls like I used to in NYC.