Pop Rock on Cotique? b/w Cotique Unknowns?

Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
This weekend I picked up a 45 on Cotique I had never seen, nor heard of before. Its by a group called Los Montemar with the songs "Todo El A??o Tendras Amor/ La Gitana." Nothing spectacular, typical Los Angeles Negro, Pasteles Verdes type tunes, with nice arrangements and atrocious vocals. But it got me thinking. A quick google search revealed a harmony trio, which became a quartet, called Los Montemar, who had an album produced by Tito Rodriguez. I doubt its the same dudes, as pop rock would be quite the departure from latin trio and quartet music. Now, I don't care too much about this group in specific, but was wondering more about these one off Cotique 45s. Did Cotique put out other pop rock 45's? I've heard there are non LP cuts of New Swing Sextet on 45. There is the Mike Ensenat & Orchestra 45, which is believed to be a part of an unreleased album whose masters have been lost. What else is there? How about some off the wall LP's Cotique put out, like that instructional Karate joint that was auctioned off a few months ago? Drop some unknown Cotique knowledge, don't be afraid... tried to photoshop the image to no avail, I suck at taking pictures of 45s, sorry!

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    There's a Dickie Goodman cut up 45 on Cotique with a Willie Colon track on the B side ("Mambo Suzie"). I always thought this was an interesting combo, but I think it's not an uncommon 45. Perhaps they used Goodman's popularity to sneak some hot latin funk into American households. Ok, Mambo Suzie is not the hottest, but it's not bad.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Yeah I heard about that one. And for the record its Johnny Colon, not Willie, doing "Mambo Suzie." How's the Dickie Goodman side?

Anyone else got something to add?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    That Goodman/Colon is the only one I find regularly (and clean!)

From what I recall the Goodman side is just like all the other ones, doesn't work boogaloo tunes in or anything...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Pretty sure I once had an LP by these dudes, Roberto.

And it was on Cotique.

And it sucked.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Yeah I heard about that one. And for the record its Johnny Colon, not Willie, doing "Mambo Suzie."

sorry, i was sick and high on Dextromethorphan when I posted that.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Yeah I heard about that one. And for the record its Johnny Colon, not Willie, doing "Mambo Suzie."

sorry, i was sick and high on Dextromethorphan when I posted that.

There was another Dickie Goodman single on Cotique that had "My Victrola" by Joey Pastrana on the flip.