SOUTH PARK ::: DISCUSS

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Yo, anybody want to talk about South Park?

In place of Chappelle I've been renting seasons. It's one of those shows that I saw every now and then, but am just starting to really get into. Definitely picking up my late-late pass, but better that than never!

Who are you favorite characters? What are your favorite episodes and/or seasons?

What are the craazy-stupid classics that I should make a note of?

Best animated TV show ever??

By the way, the episode on Season 5 where they light that gigantic ash snake for the 4th of July is GENIUS.

DISCUSS!

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Yo, anybody want to talk about South Park

so you think that hip hop had it's start out in 5th ward? / if you bring it on step to the park we'll pull your card, cause we're from...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    The pokemon episode is easily my favorite, followed by Lemmiwinks and Traper Keeper .There's easily like 8 hours worth of laughter in those three episodes. The giant ash snake episode is really great too.

As far as characters, Cartman is an obvious choice for most consistently hilarious, but Chef steps up and kills it on occasion.

a prostitute is like any other woman, she trades something for sex and she does it gooooood

Not the best animated show ever, but pretty damn close.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Best animated TV show ever??

I could agree with that, but i would venture to call it the Best Pop Culture TV Show Ever. I think there was another thread we were talking about this, but South Park is genius to the highest exponent. I think there's a art philosophy behind it where the more you limit your medium, the quicker your output. I mean the animation looks so elementary (but you can see the have shading and 3d aspects of the characters views now) yet its still dope, and u can recognize a south park character anywhere.

But about the "quicker output" thing. They are the ONLY show that can comment on whats big on the news the prior/current week. take for example a recent episode that dealth with everything from the release of the PSP, the movie Constantine, starwars, and the Shivagio sp? case with the euthanasia ordeal. The creators mentioned how they added bits to the show a week prior. family guy/simpsons/reality shows can't phuck with that.

and the pop culture references. jesus christ. from goths to when they did an episode on anime and all the main characters turned into anime character style format, and entered the world of it as if they were muppet babies. or when they spoofed missy elliot for 2 seconds, that was pure comedy.

the politics. they always deal with the left vs the right, and make excellent cases on both sides. then they go back to stupid humour or things you dont want to laugh at if you're watching with someone who's reserved. theres times i feel guilty laughing, its great.

download the shows in real media format on limewire...i've collected most episodes up to the 9th season and unlike any other show out there, it actually gets "better and better". i wonder when its gonna hit its climax.

to be objective, i thought team america was horrible. it was like the leftovers of south park entirely, but the concept was incredible.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Anyone know what the season or name of the episode featuring Token and all of that reverse racism?

Oh yeah, here's a list:

South Park Episode Guide

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    man, that is one serious late pass! hahaha. Of course south park is amazing. Cartman is easily the most amazing animated charachter ever. It seems to get better every season, I cant even pick a favorite show!

• DAAAAAMNNNN! You are fuckin late on this shit!

So many good episodes but some of my personal faves are

Barbra Streisand/ Mechagodzilla/ Robert Smith episode

Cartman buys pubes/ Radiohead episode

Jimmy takes steroids for the special olymics. Fuckin hilarious!

Timmy/ Lords of the Underworld

The first (and all subsequent) appearance(s) of Towelie. The terrycloth bath towel that likes to get high. Always shown holding a bong. Ridiculous!

all I remember off the top of my head, but I don't think I've ever seen a bad episode of South Park.

To clairify: I have always been familiar with the show, but didn't watch it regularly. Now I'm catching up.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everybody, more, more, more!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    To clairify: I have always been familiar with the show, but didn't watch it regularly. Now I'm catching up.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everybody, more, more, more!

Everyone is pretty much covering it. Obiously you want to see all the first episodes. "Cripple Fight" is pretty funny. The hunting one is funny (more so if you ever hunted). The ones I didn't really like was the nurse with the fetus on her head and all that stem cell stuff. Just a little to much.

Plus, I really thought the movie was funny when I saw it. It's on of those things that's only funny the first time. It doesn't really hold up to repeated viewings.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

Cartman buys pubes/ Radiohead episode

Oh man, that one was fucked up in a hillarious way. Cartman chopping up that raver pants-having kid's dead parents and putting them in dude's chili and the members of Radiohead calling kid a pussy for crying. Damn...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Plus, I really thought the movie was funny when I saw it. It's on of those things that's only funny the first time. It doesn't really hold up to repeated viewings.

I was actually pretty much forced to see it twice, because the first time was in the theater, and I (and everyone else) was laughing so hard & loud at things that I missed half the jokes. Probably the funniest thing I have seen by them.

One thing that gets lost in watching the TV episodes years later on DVD is what was brought up earlier - so much of the humor is involved in the shock of seeing something so current on an animated show. I remember during the Elian Gonzales (sp) drama, it blew our minds that South Park on Wednesday had jokes about things that were said/happened on like MONDAY!! You don't get that extra kick in reruns, and in fact the "current affairs" humor is usually what ends up seeming dated sooner.

favs: the "Star Wars Special Edition" ep, the Pokemon, the first one with the Genectics Marlan Brando dude...the "shit" one just for the punchline, that was awesome.

"you, uh, you got some shit in the corner of your mouth"

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Lemmiwinks...There's easily like 8 hours worth of laughter

my all time fav by far. ca-tata fish, corpses of other small animals, the gyroscope.. brilliant. that was the 1st appearance of mr slave i believe..

but right now it's all about the hippie drill episode.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I was actually pretty much forced to see it twice, because the first time was in the theater, and I (and everyone else) was laughing so hard & loud at things that I missed half the jokes. Probably the funniest thing I have seen by them.

One thing that gets lost in watching the TV episodes years later on DVD is what was brought up earlier - so much of the humor is involved in the shock of seeing something so current on an animated show. I remember during the Elian Gonzales (sp) drama, it blew our minds that South Park on Wednesday had jokes about things that were said/happened on like MONDAY!! You don't get that extra kick in reruns, and in fact the "current affairs" humor is usually what ends up seeming dated sooner.

That's a good point about the current events. The good thing about the early ones is that they were more stand alone and it's wasn't until later they really were on top of weekly events.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    South Park is brilliant IMO. We did talk about it a little in the family Guy Thread i starteda while back. But in all seriousness, I think the value of South Park is that it demonstartes that no ideology is sacred. Everything can be ripped the fuck open.

And a classic moment?

"It's been 22.1 years. Aids is finally funny!" At which point they unveil the plaque. Awesome!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Who are you favorite characters? What are your favorite episodes and/or seasons?

The "Raisins" episode (the one where Wendy breaks up with Stan) is amazing because they brilliantly capture the essence of Hooters "restaurants" with Raisins, the goth kids are spot-on (the purple loafers, the constant hair, tossing, the "if you want to hang with the nonconformists, all you have to do is dress just like us and listen to the same music we do" attitude), and when Stan is set up to re-enact the boombox-over-the-head scene from Say Anything, he plays "Shock the Monkey." Hee-fucking-larious.

Also a big fan of the Towelie episode, the one where the priest goes to the Vatican, and Chinpokomon. While I usually prefer surgically precise satire, South Park does it with zero subtletly but makes it work.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    I used to watch South park but enventually got a bit bored of it. The Simpsons is a much better show IMHO. But the South Park episode that cracked me up the most is the one where cartman teaches his crew how to milk a dog ..."red rocket red rocket.."

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    the michael jackson or mr. jefferson episode is a hoot.
    awesomo!!!! cartman dresses as a robot, and the hilarity ensues from there.