weekday non ball shave finds

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
i dont know about you guys but i been negotiating with grizzled freaks to exchange my cash for their stuff.^^^ brother jack has some terdy tracks but also some hot ones. bethlehem 3LP jazz sampler. the pink floyd is a UK original on Harvest. best elvin jones cover (music questionable). ive never seen that mirettes before.^^^ that surftime is hilariously bad but oddly is collectable $.^^^ the whole right side of the picture is smokey folk/rock/? obscurities. Motorhead in the leather sleeve! METALLL^^^ blue train is a later press but i needed it anyway. the new york thing has this sort of jazzy scat narration, sorta goofy but still cool. jackie mclean and andrew hill are blue note burners.^^^ redhead kingpin is late 80s rap on the weaker side. tawna is the narrated musical journey of a wolfs life or something. duane does dylan is hazelwood produced, nice sounds.^^^ a power trio^^^ white label promos that turn up about never. as a Davis collector, im pretty stoked.^^^pogo rules. 1959 goodness here. i dont think it was sold as a set originally.^^^ unexpected bookstrut from a guy who had boxes of cool SF stuff. if you know SF/horror books youll recognize some crazy raers here

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    i scored that redhead kingpin 12" fly cutie or something like that.. $0.25. not as hot as expected though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I have that Judy Mayhan, pretty cool record. "Dream Goin' By" is dope.

I want that Carolyn Hester Coalition LP - much harder to find
    than the Mayhan, that's for sure.

Arkham originals? CRAZY SCORES!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

^^^ redhead kingpin is late 80s rap on the weaker side.

way to crush the memories man, thanks.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    my friend would kill for that pogo record!

looks like some nice finds...im jealous, my town is DRY as a bone

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    that lurker at the threshold needs to be graemlinized

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    $bin cheepa action:

• joe thomas-joy of cookin
    jimmy mcgriff-red beans (great cover, gawd awful record)
    blue mitchel-last tango=blues
    pleasure-get the feeling

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

i feel terrible! i must admit i only listened to one song, ill go back and re-check it!!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Little thrift stop off last night. Can I get an OG czech on the Rupert Holmes? Pulled that right after my competition had been through the stacks.

I'm still on the fence with Lighthouse. Keep trying though. I like horn rock. The Little Big Horns record has some nice drums and keys. Arranged by Charles Mangione. The best of the lot--Beacon Street Union's The Clown Died in Marvin Gardens--is a double. Nice record.

Two Richmond Gospel Terds. The first one is actually good. Really groovy Rhodes sound.

i feel terrible! i must admit i only listened to one song, ill go back and re-check it!!

No, thing is your description is correct

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Wasn't Redhead's Do The Right Thing supposed to be the theme song for the Spike Lee movie but got rejected in favour of PE? Seem to remember it turning up on The People Under The Stairs in the end.

• not all today (only the soft machine and yamashta today!) but have aquired some pretty fun stuff recently, some jazz and a few polish bastards:

- this copy is on Probe but has both first and second albums on it!! i'm listening to the first now. good shit.

plus an awesome polish record i can't find a picture of
    - CZERWONO CZARNI + KATARZYNA GARTNER -"MSZA BEATOWA" - a mass put to popular 'beat' music so the kids could dig it in the 60's. it's got killer drums and is pretty groovy in parts. anyone know anything about this???

also a Diplo remix of Blocparties - "helicopters" - -which slews the dancefloor!!!

...and a few library joints to sample bits of and, finally, this is winging it's way to me from some ebay merchant. i'm dead excited:

Wasn't Redhead's Do The Right Thing supposed to be the theme song for the Spike Lee movie but got rejected in favour of PE?

I was always somewhat amazed/disappointed by the contrast between Fight the Power and the rest of the soundtrack... nuff Ruben Blades and a bit of E.U. The brightly-attired Mr Kingpin would have fitted right in there. I'm not mad at the PE though. I remember thinking the opening credits were pretty

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The "score" to Do the Right Thing, on the other hand,
    is a great album. I've never been a big Marsalis fan, but
    Branford comes correct on the score, and Spike's Dad has some
    fine moments both playing and in the composition.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Enchantment - Once Upon A Dream
    Con Funk Shun - Touch
    Patti Austin - Live @ The Village Gate
    Larry Graham - StarWalk

Con Funk Shun - Touch
    Larry Graham - StarWalk

I would like to see a Live @ The Village Gate thread. Who wants to kick it off? All I think I have is Mongo but I might have others...

d'oh and some Descargas

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Silly Love Song on repeat X 1000.

Silly Love Song on repeat X 1000.

Trying To Get Over (With You)

we need an Enchantment appreciation post.

Con Funk Shun - Touch
    Larry Graham - StarWalk

I would like to see a Live @ The Village Gate thread. Who wants to kick it off? All I think I have is Mongo but I might have others...

OOOOps, Live @ The Bottom Line

Con Funk Shun - Touch
    Larry Graham - StarWalk

OOOOps, Live @ The Bottom Line

Fake finds revealed

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Good stuff this week!:

Black Ivory - Then and Now (1984, Panoramic) - one side of then-current tracks, one side of 80's re-recordings of their 70's songs, plus the original version of "Mainline")

Pleasure - Joyous (1977, Fantasy)

Glen Guidry - Over The Line (1982, CBS/Sony Japan) - some nice mellow Yacht-like blue eyed soul

Garland Green - ST (1983, Vivid Sound - OOP Japanese CD) - many tracks written by and featuring backing vox of Lamont Dozier)

SG

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    The "score" to Do the Right Thing, on the other hand,
    is a great album. I've never been a big Marsalis fan, but
    Branford comes correct on the score, and Spike's Dad has some
    fine moments both playing and in the composition.

also check for she's gotta have it soundtrack, which is suprisingly tough to find (at least for me), also surprisingly good, for a mid 80s soundtrack.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Karl, hows that Paul Bley record? I think its been reissued no?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

me too. is it a solo record?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

me too. is it a solo record?

no idea if its been reissued, and it is a solo jernt. but theres some cool personell - he must have been seeing annette peacock at the time, because her pix are all over the inside of the gatefold, and she wrote 6 of the 8 songs. (the other 2 are: 1 by bley and 1 by ornette coleman) but i dont think shes actually on it - personell is paul on piano, gary peacock on bass, and billy elgart on drums.

as for the music - id call it abstract avant piano jazz. odd n' moody in places. weird overall. definitely fits on the Limelight label.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Thanks.

Oh yeah, it's on Limelight from 1967.
    Nice one.

• past week:

trade[/b]
    sylvers II nm/nm - finally. Thanks W***!

bought[/b]
    symphonic four - who do you think you're fooling (zudan 45).
    horace parlan - Up & Down (blue note ny adress)
    wool - st lp
    clarence coulter - ride on 45
    jerry moore - life is a constant struggle lp
    bill evans & jim hall - undercurrent (mono UA with one of the most beautiful sleeves evar)
    the afro latin soultet - wild! (thanks to djelv12000000)
    terry callier - first light: chicago 1968-1972. pre-cadet demos
    isley brothers - get into something (ex/ex on t-neck)
    isley brothers - givin it back (idem)

a copy of john mayer - etudus which i had been searching for for a bit, which arrived with the edgewarp from hell (described as NM by the seller) and is now on its way back for a refund

plus[/b]

an unplayed copy of this in a collection of easy-listening / james last terds from a guy who used to teach dance classes in the seventies. Either set sailing or ebaying this.

• subsub 311 Posts
    istanbul in the last 3 weeks. not easy to dig here though. hard to find good stuff that playable and not overpriced. a lot of turkish diggers aroung too....

best ersen 45

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iranian funk 45

more stuff

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Some finds from the past few

Also, pulled a BQ In Full Effect last night (not pictured)