Landlord Strut: Crazy applicant related

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
In response to a craigslist ad for an apt in one of my buildings I received this email. What do guys think should I pursue this lead? BTW if you are interested in pursuing her on a relationship level, I can forward her contact info.Hello,I am looking for a place and can you please tell me more about the one you have. Can you please send the details and some pictures for the room. Please i'll like to know the total move in cost of the room as well as the picture of the house as i'll not be able to check out the place until my arrival,Thanks so much for the mail.I like the place and I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and remove the advert from craigslist.com as i'll love to rent the place.Let me tell you more about me.Name: Janny ******Age: 27Date of Birth: 10 June 1980Country: USAEducation: MSCEReligion: ChristianityMarital Status: SingleKids: No KidsLanguages spoken: Englishmy annual income is $55.000 USDMy personality traits are: serious, confident, calm, purposeful, persistent, smart, responsible, honest, modest, kind, sociable, sensitive, gentle, cheerful, optimistic, romantic, considered, responsibleI like these kinds of music: Dance/Electronica, Disco, Easy Listening, Pop/Top 40, Rap/Hip Hop, Soul/R&B and Soundtracks.I usually read: classics, novels, newspapers and magazinesMy favorite physical activities: Basketball, Working Out, Dancing, Swiming and Hiking/WalkingMy favorite cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese/Dim Sum, Deli, Eastern-European, Fast Food/Pizza, French, Greek, Indian, Italian, Japanese/Sushi, Mexican, Seafood, Soul Food, Thai, VietnameseI like to go out to/and: cinema, disco, night clubs, parks, meeting with friendsMy favorite cuisine: no preferencesI like these physical activities: dancing, playing pool, basket ball,swimming, billiardMore about me: serious girl, searches for lovedAge group of a partner: 28-50My perception of an ideal relationship: Understanding, respect, love.ALSOI'm a quiet and easy going person to live with. . I am currently working on contract for my company CleverLink Internet Technology Services here in Lagos, Nigeria and hope to end my current assignment soon .and will love to come down as soon as possible to explore my talent and hope to have a more profitable job. I do not have a pic presently on my system but will try to attach one to my next mail.However, based on your mail i will be making a payment to move in. I had like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 12months.The things i will be moving in are as follow;my Mercedes (C-class 2005 model) metalic green.suite case containing my books my 26' JVC PLASMA TV and DVD Home theatre my clothes in three luggages my desk top computer (COMPAQ) and pieces of furnitures.Hope to hear from you soon

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    If she was born on June 10, 1980 she's 26, not 27.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    If she was born on June 10, 1980 she's 26, not 27.

this is what you pick of all things to be suspect about?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

More about me: serious girl, searches for loved

This is my favorite part. I feel like asking her. You realize you are applying for a rental not the dating game, right?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    my company CleverLink Internet Technology Services

Cleverlink??

Why doesn't she just call herself SneakyScamCo?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    It's like they thought, "We want her to look like a realistic apartment applicant, so let's cut and paste someone's dating service info."

It's getting to the point where it's impossible to advertise on craigslist for any service or goods without attracting at least one or two scam emails.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    How does this scam work exactly? Clearly, it sounds shadadelic but I'm curious where the hook comes in.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    How does this scam work exactly? Clearly, it sounds shadadelic but I'm curious where the hook comes in.

What will most likely happen is they will send the first month's rent check, but it will be over the agreed upon amount. They will request that the excess be sent to a third party for some reason or another. The money will get sent on and the check will bounce, leaving the scamee S.O.L.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    So I take it that you guys think I shouldn't try to holler at Janny. She's seems real interesting.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    "She's" from Lagos, in Nigeria. Home to the "419" scam (see 419eater.com). My Nigerian friends refuse to go to Lagos as it's too dangerous for them. The police are worse than the fraudsters for corruption. 'Nuff said.

I like the idea of the overpayment scam though

• scurlscurl 75 Posts
    if you are interested in pursuing her on a relationship level, I can forward her contact info.

Lemme holler.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    my company CleverLink Internet Technology Services

Cleverlink??

Why doesn't she just call herself SneakyScamCo?

Peep the acronym. Janny works subliminally.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Why would anyone list the make of their car, tv and computer or the colour and finish of their luggage on an application for a rental?

scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scamscam scam scam scam

Update: scamalogy revealed

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "She's" from Lagos, in Nigeria. Home to the "419" scam (see 419eater.com). My Nigerian friends refuse to go to Lagos as it's too dangerous for them. The police are worse than the fraudsters for corruption. 'Nuff said.

I like the idea of the overpayment scam though

I am currently working on contract for my company CleverLink Internet Technology Services here in Lagos, Nigeria[/b]

and I need someone in the US of A to help me with a serious financial matter. If you could plaese send a copy of the deed to your apartment building as well as your bank account #, I can deposit the inheritance I have recieved from the son of a Nigerian Prince.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    OK we have established this is scam but as a landlord what I find more interesting is how utterly insane this person comes across as a potential tenant. First "she" lists her favorite kind of food and then says she has no culinary preferences. Talking about her Mercedes and metallic green luggage. This shit is funny and not a very good scam front. I thought her music preferences would elicit some commentary from the SS peanut gallery.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

That is fucking fantastic.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    as a fellow super/building manager...I will tell you...this REEKS of something from the church of scamology. Nigerian! whoa...right there (like someone said about the 419 scams)....this is in no way real, and I can guarentee if you pursue this you will find yourself in a world of pain my friend....a world of pain...in essence...you're out of your element danny...

next!

there's always a new 1 around the corner looking to rent...and I'm sure he/she can be more of a safe bet...i personally like to meet them...know what i'm dealing with (usually after the preliminary phone call)...

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

That is fucking fantastic.

FALSE RASTA indeed.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Not even a girl, it's this guy