Texas Funk comp faces the music

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Superstrutter billbradley was kind enough to supply us with the Texas Funk compilation that came out as a cassette and cd-only release on Rastaman Work Ethic Records in 1993. It would behoove you all to at least listen to Feeble Minds by Fleshmop..and then let us know how it makes you feel...Texas Funk Compilation

Comments

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    link doesnt work ....

• scurlscurl 75 Posts
    link doesnt work ....

consider that a blessing

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    link doesnt work ....

Sendspace appears to be having problems. I'm re-uploading to another site now. It should be done in about 30 minutes.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    link doesnt work ....

consider that a blessing

Have you heard the compilation or are you just hating on HarveyCanal?

• scurlscurl 75 Posts
    link doesnt work ....

consider that a blessing

Nah I've heard it. From Houston. Without girls getting naked to this shit there are no redeeming qualities.

I'm sure this is rousing suspicions, but... Do yourselves a favor and don't fuck wid it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    link doesnt work ....

consider that a blessing

Nah I've heard it. From Houston. Without girls getting naked to this shit there are no redeeming qualities.

I'm sure this is rousing suspicions, but... Do yourselves a favor and don't fuck wid it.

Can't you just let some folks judge for themselves?

To each his own I guess... personally, I still like it.

• scurlscurl 75 Posts
    Can't you just let some folks judge for themselves?

To each his own I guess... personally, I still like it.

My bad. Let me go ahead and apologize for pissing on this tape.

But to those not in the know, be forewarned...

The sendspace link is working again. Looks like they had a temporary internet hiccup.

Texas Funk Comp

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Sometimes
    Prostitutes
    Reveal
    A
    Wet
    Leg

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Fleshmop

Sometimes
    Prostitutes
    Reveal
    A
    Wet
    Leg

One more:
    Sprawl - Heat Miser EP

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    TEXAS FUNK COMPILATION:

It must have looked strange at first, a punk band like the Big Boys bringing a horn section on stage for some funk in a small Austin club circa 1982. Audiences in the bigger, white-mainstream, blues-rock clubs certainly wouldn't have welcomed such experimenting. That scene made it touch for a wave of integrated funk that then appeared - DoDat, Bad Mutha Goose, Slackface, and Stick People. The DayLights in Dallas and Sprawl in Houston were also struggling with thier local scenes. The clubs were so unsupportive that Slackface and The DayLights both made plans to move, figuring they'd have a better chance in New York. Perhaps it was the night of Slackface's farewell show that Austinites realized that the new funk could sate their appetite for heavy guitar. Sprawl and DoDat were also on the bill, and a sweaty audience packed The Cannibal CLub (Then Club Cairo.) In Denton, a small college town north of Dallas, crowds began to show up consistently to see a new wave of bands - Bouffant Jellyfish, Retarded Elf, and Joe Rockhead. Realizing how much the market had changed, Slackface flew down a few times from New York, where they were members of The Black Rock Coalition. In Denton, Ten Hands spewed forth its most ludicrous member, who then started BillyGoat, which, along with GoodFoot, established solid funk in the north. Fleshmop also formed in Denton before moving to Houston.

Now Texas is knee-deep in funk. The same clubs that once rejected the alternative funk bands now have weekly funk shows and draw consistant crowds. But the drinking age remains an impediment. Austin might seem the only significant city in the schmea, but it is only Houston, at The Axiom, that bands have been able to have all-ages shows, developing large high-school crowds. Austin's 18 and up shows are acceptable, because the potential crowds are mostly college students. Dallas' almost entirely 21 and up policy, however, reflective of its overly commercial alcohol-dependant scene, is unnerving.

At Rastaman Work Ethic Productions we have selected, recorded, re-edited and re-mixed the best Texas Funk we could find for this compilation. We decided to start it off with a Big Boys song named for a club that wouldn't let them play a second set because they were distracting the audience from drinking. Though we include funk songs from Fleshmop and Stick People, neither is primarily a funk band. Stick People is subtle and melodic, whereas Fleshmp is raging and heavy.

The compilation is a collective venture of the bands involved; RWE will retain no profits. If you need to know exactdly where one of the band's profits are being sent, please contact us. Also, bands anywhere in the world, please send us your demos, we like to hear what's going on elsewhere. SO get on the good foot, get up on the downstroke, and don't ever let another person decide what music you can't listen to.

1990 Rastaman Work Ethic Productions.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    PS addicted to Ex-Lax

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    From HarveyCanal[/b]:

Can't you just let some folks judge for themselves? [/b]

Is there a graemlin sufficient enough to handle this irony?

Herm

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Funk? Not in the slightest.

Texas? Unfortunately.

• From HarveyCanal[/b]:

Can't you just let some folks judge for themselves? [/b]

Is there a graemlin sufficient enough to handle this irony?

Herm

• scurlscurl 75 Posts
    Sometimes
    Prostitutes
    Reveal
    A
    Wet
    Leg

To properly fulfill the acronym, wouldn't it be Wooden, as in the stunt that Nadine(of What's Happenin' Now) pulled in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka?