Lucky # Slevin is not a terrible movie

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Its not the greatest con movie ever; The Sting and Usual Suspects aren't quaking in their boots or anything. And, it takes some serious liberties with with dramatic irony on what we know and what the characters know.But, overall, this movie which I thought was easily the worst name for a movie ever (may even have said so in a thread when this came out) isn't half bad. sharp dialogue (a little forced at times, but not bad) decent acting from a solid cast, lucy liu looking good (word to Jzone), enough twists for a round of martinis, and the lynchpin song is wendy rene singing 'after laughter'. good rental for a rainy weekend or a sickday.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"S-S-STOP-S-S-STOP-STOP STOP LY-ING!"[/b]

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Perhaps if I never saw "The Usual Suspects" or "Pulp Fiction" or any of the other "hip" movies of that ilk, I would have loved this movie. But it just seemed so forced, like they held focus groups before writing the script. It was so "cool" it ended up being anything but.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Is it as bad as 'Be Cool'?

• Like i said...this isn't gonna make you forget the great noir films of cinema's history. SoI, you've got pulp and old VHSes that will son this no doubt.

but, if you just go into hoping to be entertained for a couple hours, it isn't half bad. i didn't get such a cool vibe either- felt a lot more mellow dramatic to me, which is a whole different complaint.

anyway. this is NOT fine cinema, and it isn't about to knock pulp fiction out of my top ten. but, for a day off work home in bed with a cold and your head wrapped in a diaper popping pain pills, i have ZERO complaints. hell, it was better than pirates of the carribbean 2. (look, i'm going for mindless here.)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    mellow dramatic

----

So, can we get a more life-size shot of the
    head wrappings, please? This 80x80 shit isn't
    really working for me. Also, if I swing by your
    house on my way to play hockey tonight, can I have
    some percosets? Just tell your wife that it's ok, that if
    you're passed out to just pour me a handful from the bottle

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I hear you. The "Pirates" movies wouldn't even be bad if they cut about 1.5 hours off the top. There's just no need for that type of marathon.

• red patch in the top flick is the skin graft that became my new ear canal.
    yeah, the drugs are the best part of the whole weekend; gettin' funny looks at the video store is also fun.
    and, on the subject of pain, to start jackass 2.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Is it as bad as 'Be Cool'?
    not quite.

but
    so forced

• I hear you. The "Pirates" movies wouldn't even be bad if they cut about 1.5 hours off the top. There's just no need for that type of marathon.

dude, there seriously needs to be a memo about movie length. 2.5 hours? what the fucking fuck! even shit like anchorman is 2 hours. fuck that. 90 minutes, please. serving size is so important.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    the first time i saw this movie i hated it, but i watched it last week and actually was digging it. Some of the story is blah, but its not a bad watch at all.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    second half of it starts to feel ok after a boring and lame start up. too cool for school vibe, way overly self concious about being like pulp fiction or whatever. Lucy is a major low point actually - she can act but not when given such a weak role. painfully unfunny when shes supposed to be lightening things up. the twists were good, i.e. second half picks up. yes, easlily could have trimmed an hour of crap out of it and it would have made a better film.

but more importantly - DUDE what happened to that EAR??!!?!?!? my lord, i hope its a speedy recovery!