the Mojo factor

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
First off I've gotta say that Mojo magazine is a great publication. But I've been noticing something recently that I call the mojo factor. I have a number of customers who pretty much are always looking for whatever Mojo mag is telling them is cool that month. Also a friend of mine is guilty of this too. Just in the last month he's asked me if I've heard of the Staple Singers and Gang of Four. Sure enough I look at the last few Mojo's and they have articles on both bands. Whatever, at least it's turning people onto some cool bands I guess. It just seems so easy to find out about music on your own I guess. That's part of the reason I really like soulstrut, people are always finding cool music on their own and sharing knowledge and whatnot. Again, I think mojo is a cool mag, I'm not doggin it. I just don't see other mags influencing peoples purchases as much as mojo. Anybody else seen the "mojo factor"?

Comments

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    First off I've gotta say that Mojo magazine is a great publication. But I've been noticing something recently that I call the mojo factor. I have a number of customers who pretty much are always looking for whatever Mojo mag is telling them is cool that month. Also a friend of mine is guilty of this too. Just in the last month he's asked me if I've heard of the Staple Singers and Gang of Four. Sure enough I look at the last few Mojo's and they have articles on both bands. Whatever, at least it's turning people onto some cool bands I guess. It just seems so easy to find out about music on your own I guess. That's part of the reason I really like soulstrut, people are always finding cool music on their own and sharing knowledge and whatnot. Again, I think mojo is a cool mag, I'm not doggin it. I just don't see other mags influencing peoples purchases as much as mojo. Anybody else seen the "mojo factor"?

It's a good resource, but I like to supplement it w/ The Wire, Songlines, etc. - I don't suppose that any 1 font will suffice and be authoritarian - only if you elect to allow for it... Taking a chance on a Niney The Observer compilation CD on Blood & Fire may be daunting for those slimly versed in music - I applaud Mojo for championing acts such as Gang of Four (although Rollins did re-release the material initially in the '90s on his short-lived revival imprint) and the Staple Singers - the problem would be, however, if people subscribe to the Mojo opinions as gospel and are unwilling to nurture their own assessment... Sorta like leading a horse to H2O and havin' the horse decide to drink or not, I guess...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I like reading the Wire too but what is Songlines? And what kind of music do they focus on?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I like reading the Wire too but what is Songlines? And what kind of music do they focus on?

http://www.songlines.co.uk/

I think JB'll back me up on this as a good read - gotta keep listening and foragin'... Never stops...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    As long as they have either a CD that makes it worth the price(which is almost 10 months out of 12 lately) or an article with fresh photos that would never appear anywhere else(articles on Runaways, early Parliament/Funkadelic, obscura like the Only Ones,etc) I will be an ardent supporter of MOJO. I actually enjoy their reviews of reissues,comps, buried treasure etc, and find them useful in ways that most magazines aren't in pointing out records that you probably missed the second, third and fourth times around. The only downside is kind of what you mentioned, sometimes the tone of the mag overall is a bit like a know-it-all older uncle who considers himself "the music expert's music expert", that's perfectly OK as long as I get either a decent mix CD or even one good informative article.

I can't think of another monthly music mag that even approaches it.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    excellent magazine, and if they had a forum, id probably get addicted to it. so if they do have one, dont tell me about it. their coverage of stuff like early reggae opened my eyes to a lot of stuff, and as mentioned, their mix cds are amazing.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Yo yo, word. Good Sly Stone article a few years ago. That cat was I sure hope he's not that homeless guy I see around.