"Raer" funk for clubs that need to be retired

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I haven't done a gig since last August and I'm pulling out stuff for a guest set tonight at Star Shoes (my L.A. people, holla!) and I've always kept a few boxes of "club" funk stuff that always seems to be useful to have on hand. (Example: James Brown: Talkin' Loud, Ain't Sayin' Nothin' (original "rock" version).But given that I usually only add stuff to the box but rarely retire shit, I realized there's a few pieces that, while "good" in their own right just don't really need another spin. For some reason, I keep thinking "Honky Tonk" b/w "Honky Tonk Popcorn" by Bill Doggett always seems to rise to the top of that list but so does, well, "Impeach the President" and "Hook and Sling." Not to single out "funk 45s" but I would have to say a lot of the culprits seem to be in that vein. Any songs ya'll are just plain tired of playing out/hearing out?

Comments

• I think Hook & Sling is one of the few funk records I will never tire of.

everytime I hear it loud.

im glad someone said it, i didnt want to be the one...

tired of JB?? o-dub, are you serious ? BAN!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think Hook & Sling is one of the few funk records I will never tire of.

I didn't say tired of JB. I'm bringing a few JB tracks tonight. I mean - specifically - that "Honky Tonk Popcorn" single.

And I love "Hook and Sling." BUT, I don't feel the compulsion that I NEED to play it out.

• I feel you...i've been trying to rotate things; if i played something two gigs in a row, I won't bring it. Hence, Linda Lyndell's "What a Man," hasn't come out of the box in a couple months. Got a lot of love for a while there.

can't think of anything off the top of the dome that i'm sick of per se, but, I should probably give, 'am i the same girl,' a rest.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I just put "Hook & Sling" back in rotation after a long hiatus and folks have been loving it (as have I)

I think its just more a matter of what you personally grow tired of playing and/or hearing out....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I just put "Hook & Sling" back in rotation after a long hiatus and folks have been loving it (as have I)

I think its just more a matter of what you personally grow tired of playing and/or hearing out....

Yeah - this is what I'm asking. Personal, "this is cool but I need to shelve it for a while" joints. I'm not asking for a consensus.

And I second "Am I the Same Girl?" I stared at it for a minute and put it back in storage, at least for the time being.

• 'am i the same girl,' was the start of a nice femme set i was doing...but, it needs some revisions. which, brings up another point- planning is nice, and having a few sequences you can work in is great, but a whole set can get tired- not just a song.

Yeah - this is what I'm asking. Personal, "this is cool but I need to shelve it for a while" joints. I'm not asking for a consensus.

I actually switched up most of my playbox this year... the other dudes have concentrated more on 60s RnB than funk for a while and I was just kinda catching up. Listening to my 45 collection with fresh ears had me pulling totally different records than what I'd been using as a lot of the 60s stuff was just more uptempo and consistent than the 70s funk.

That said, last wknd my 'modern' set (inc. Family of Eve, Esther Wms, can't remember what else) may have gotten the best reaction, and was the most fun for me...

'am i the same girl,' was the start of a nice femme set i was doing...but, it needs some revisions. which, brings up another point- planning is nice, and having a few sequences you can work in is great, but a whole set can get tired- not just a song.

I never get tired of playing 'Yellow Sunshine' and 'Bring it on Down pt 1' back to back...

I didn't say tired of JB. I'm bringing a few JB tracks tonight. I mean - specifically - that "Honky Tonk Popcorn" single.

And I love "Hook and Sling." BUT, I don't feel the compulsion that I NEED to play it out.

i know, just bustin balls.

hook n sling is tuff as nails, but out of all the bocage output, might be one that gets the least plays out from me (funk-wise). too many good ones to play favorites.

i rotate through stacks of what i'll play at parties, but usually no matter how many times i have heard it, it is falling on fresh ears.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Clarence Reid "Master Piece"

A lot of people I know who are "in the game" tend to be sick of this one to some degree. Problem is it's a certified all-time clubbanger with the public.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Clarence Reid "Master Piece"

A lot of people I know who are "in the game" tend to be sick of this one to some degree. Problem is it's a certified all-time clubbanger with the public.

I'll pay to take it off your hands. This goes for anyone else.

• smokedogsmokedog 34 Posts
    if you're sick of "master piece" you should spin "Miss Hot Stuff"

Would anyone care if we in the blowfly crew did a Clarence Reid set? We have a single coming out, and people in Brooklyn, Chicago, Melbourne Au and Europe are down - not sure if there's enough interest to take it to the rest of the world.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    if i hear a DJ playing burning spear's S.O.U.L. and babe ruth's mexican one more time i think i'm going to vomit.......enough with the "Rare Groove" already...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    I think Hook & Sling is one of the few funk records I will never tire of.

im tired of jb for sure. not that i dj whatsoever but ive heard enough Get Up Offa That Thing, Big Payback, etc etc to last me a lifetime. i have all the 45s and LPs and do not need to hear another jb funk track ever again. the soul singles YES please play all the time but Give Up the Funk for Food ALREADY!

"Please play JB music at tributes only..."

-THE MANAGEMENT

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    if i hear a DJ playing burning spear's S.O.U.L. and babe ruth's mexican one more time i think i'm going to vomit.......enough with the "Rare Groove" already...

i'd like to see that, not the vomit, but a dj rocking that mix. personally, i'm getting tired of third guitar, but only when i'm sober. in the middle of a drunken set, it always does a body good. same goes for zapp..

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    But is the Rare Bird version played out yet?

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts

i'd like to see that, not the vomit, but a dj rocking that mix.

it can be heard in any club every weekend where i live, along with me vomiting...mostly due to drink not repetative rare groove sets...

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I wish there were so many funk nights that I'd actually get sick of certain tracks but that ain't the case in DC. The only folks in the audience who would go "oh no, not Hook and Sling again!" are the people that post on boards like this. This may be different in the UK or in San Francisco where funk nights are a dime a dozen.
    Isn't possible that some of the funk DJ's playing these "overplayed" tracks are newbies who haven't had the money or the time to amass test pressings, acetates and one-offs that the demanding funk audience (ie you guys) needs and desires. You gotta start somewhere. I look at some set lists and think that its showing off and not necessarily playing the best tracks available to rock the crowd.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You motherfuckers are tripping.

• in San Francisco where funk nights are a dime a dozen.

oh if this were only the case, i wish we had 1-2 a month

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    in San Francisco where funk nights are a dime a dozen.

there arent any really...

the bay is run by whatever commercial radio plays... and gay house music i guess. moist would know.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    in San Francisco where funk nights are a dime a dozen.

the bay is run by whatever commercial radio plays... and gay house music i guess. moist would know.

I (obviously) haven't been out there in a year or two. The Bay Area always seemed to me to be more rare groove/funk friendly than other cities around the US. Apparently not so.

• The only folks in the audience who would go "oh no, not Hook and Sling again!" are the people that post on boards like this.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The only folks in the audience are the people that post on boards like this.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The only folks in the audience who would go "oh no, not Hook and Sling again!" are the people that post on boards like this.

last night I ended the evening with JB's "Get Up Offa That Thing" one-sided 12" that never leaves my crates, as usual people loved it.

• in San Francisco where funk nights are a dime a dozen.

I (obviously) haven't been out there in a year or two. The Bay Area always seemed to me to be more rare groove/funk friendly than other cities around the US. Apparently not so.

There actually are quite a few rare groove-type nights in the Bay Area. Justin just doesn't go out ever. Then again neither do I. But I see the listings in the newspaper. Somewhere funk is being played.

• I see y'alls points on 'c'mon...eddie bo will NEVER be played,' and i certainly agree.

but, as a way of self-evaluating what YOU may have been playing, this isn't the worst exercise. good to reflect on what you may have been overplaying/relying on too much.

Now, i've been playing 'save me,' a lot recently...but, that one isn't going anywhere. so fucking ;nextlevel;.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Now, i've been playing 'save me,' a lot recently...but, that one isn't going anywhere. so fucking ;nextlevel;.

Which version?

• nina, flip to 'young, gifted, & black'. besides wanda davis, any version i'm missing? i prefer nina to wanda, btw, and it costs like $300 less.