Redefinition Radio Update (shamless plug related)

djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I figured since I've been speaking on the Red Alert and Chuck Chillout shows in here and got a couple questions about what it was all about that I would post something I just wrote up for my blog about the "Tribute To Hip Hop History" shows I'm doing....Yes, I'm back at it again good people. Last year was the "2nd Annual Anniversary" of Redefinition Radio and in honor of that we started a new theme. When I first thought of this idea I thought it would be interesting and unique but I really had no idea how or if I could pull it off. However, it ended being one of the themes that I'm most proud of. As far a I know it's a truly unique experience. Peep:The goal of these shows is to pay tribute to some the all-time great pioneers, innovators and personalities of Hip Hop radio. I'm doing that by playing some of the musical projects they were involved with, which often came as a result as their popularity as radio show hosts/DJs. Then there is the "Recreation" Process where we are replicating some classic original shows. DJ Plain Ole Bill was given some old tapes and he studied them then played the same songs, same order and similar turntable trickery. Then I took his mixes and went and pulled soundbytes from the original shows plus added in some other of my own elements to help give them a more "authentic" feel to the original broadcasts. You can't imagine how some of that worked out....ha. Me sitting there with boomboxes, hand held recorders and whatever I could make sound good plugged into my computer. Dealing with tapes snapping and other technical mysteries to figure out. Well, it all paid off and I think makes for a interesting listening experience on the serious "future primitive" tip...This week's show is completely dedicated to two of the most influential and inspirational Radio Show DJs of all time, KOOL DJ RED ALERT & DJ CHUCK CHILLOUT. DJ Plain Ole Bill is back for "Recreation Mixes" for Red Alert and Chuck Chillout. DJ Nikoless makes his Redefinition Radio "debut" with a special "Red Alert Meets Chuck Chillout Mix". Plus there's "pause mix style collages" and samples of Original show promos, shout outs, echo chamber effects and whatever else I could make happen...ha. Here some much by The B Boys, U.T.F.O, Sparky D, RunDMC, Tla Rock, Grandmaster Flash, Mantronix, Ultramagnetic MCs, Chill Rob G, Word Of Mouth, etc....Here's last week show paying Tribute to Jock Henderson, Lady B, World Famous Supreme Team, Mr Magic, Marley Marl...March 17, 2007Listen PlaylistJocko Henderson - "Everybody's Uptight" '83Instrumental: Crash Crew - "On The Radio" '83Whodini - "Magic's Wand" '82Lady B - "To The Beat Y'all" '79Supreme Team - "World Famous" '84Instrumental: "Hobo Scratch" (w/supreme team sample collage intro) '84Plain Ole Bill Mix #1: Zulu Beats RecreationAfrika Bambaataa & The Soul Sonic Force - "Looking For The Perfect Beat w/vocal samples" '82Yellow Sunshine - "Yellow Sunshine" '73Grandmaster Mele Mel & Duke Bootee - "Message 2 (Survival)" '82Donald D - "Zulu Beats Freestyle" '83Instrumental: Zulu Kings - "Cars '86Plain Ole Bill Mix #2: Mr Magic's Rap Attack w/DJ Marley Marl recreationAntoinette - "I Got An Attitude" '87Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - "It's A Demo" '86Public Enemy - "Public Enemy No 1" '87Craig G - "Duck Alert" '88Instrumental: Marley Marl - "He Cuts So Fresh" '87-STILL TO COME ARE TRIBUTES: Wake Up Show, The Stretch Armstrong Show feat. Bobbito, KDAY (Greg Mack and the Mixmasters), Mixmaster G, Latin Rascals, Shep Pettibone, and more!! -LISTEN SATURDAY NITES!!11 pm until Midnight (central us time)Twin Cities: 89.3 The CurrentOnline: kcmp.org (if you miss it it's online forever along with every other show and playlist I've ever done!!)-MEMOIRS OF REDEFINITION RADIO:Don't Forget to read the "overly" informational blog: redefradio.gather.com/There's lots of lyrical analyzing, history and all that. Expect updates weekly. Coming soon will be more random rambling about rap as well as Interviews (up first: Count Coolout, Mele Mel and The Poetess), and a few other concepts that I'm toying with.In the archives find articles on: International Hip Hop, History of Reggae/Hip Hop, History of Story-telling In Hip Hop, and much more!!