JURY SUMMONS

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
After ignoring and throwing away these shits for a long time, I got one in the mail that was a bit thicker and said "official summons". Do I actually have to follow through with this? Can they actually prove that I recieved it? Someone drop some knowledge... Anyone ever successfully duck these for a long period of time?

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    ignore it. they can never prove you were served with it (a legal requirement, at least in CA).

or sack up and do your civic duty as the founding fathers would have wanted you to. who knows; could be you in the dock one day.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I don't know if it will work where you live, but here if you say you work in childcare/teaching, you'll be released. I've gotten out of jury duty 3 times just by phoning in and telling them that.

• ignore it. they can never prove you were served with it (a legal requirement, at least in CA).

I'll take this option

I don't know if it will work where you live, but here if you say you work in childcare/teaching, you'll be released. I've gotten out of jury duty 3 times just by phoning in and telling them that.

I've been told that if you contact them, chances are you'll end up serving so i've never bothered.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts
    In California it only goes to warrant if they fail to get enough qualified people to fill a jury. I know this because I forgot to respond to a jury summons and called them. They said I was excused because enough people responded.

This was only a regular summons. If you received one which was a little thicker you might want to take it a little more serious.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    sack up and do your civic duty

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    All you all know I am big on civic duty. Got serve in Seattle for a week back in the 80s. Loved it. Was called here a few years ago and sat around the court house for a day but never got called.

Give them a call when you get it and let them know you can't get off work. They will (most likely) release you. Jurys are mostly retired people and people who work for big corporations that will pay their employees even when they are on jury duty. The rest of us slobs only do it if they are fanatical do-gooders like me.