Anyone catching VH1's Classic Albums series?

sloppywhitesloppywhite 230 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Good shit. The Lou Reed "Transformer" episode was cool. It's really interesting when they have the original recording enginer sit down at the board and talk about different recording techniques and mixing while isolating various parts of the songs (vocal, overdubs, drums, guitars, etc.).Other good ones:Nirvana "Nevermind"Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"Stevie Wonder "Songs in the Key of Life" (I wanted for classic 70s footage though).I think these are on DVD too...

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I caught a few of them -- Stevie, Floyd, Steely Dan's Aja, AC/DC's Back in Black. Very cool series, definitely something I'll watch it's on.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Here's a link with a list of most episodes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Albums

The series are made by Isis/Eagle Rock Entertainment and have been broadcast worldwide (BBC, ITV, VH1, etc). They are also available on DVD. They were devised by radio producer John Pidgeon as a vehicle for Roger Scott, following the disc jockey???s move from Capital Radio to BBC Radio 1 in 1988.

Aja & Nevermind episodes are real good.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Rage Against the Machine - The Battle Of Los Angeles

• i'm looking forward to catching the "Aja" and "Electric Ladyland" ones.

• buncha a clips on the tube:

Butch Vig showing us how Drain You was done:

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    One of my favorite ones is the Steely Dan Aja[/b] DVD. I used a portion for a podcast, but they get into "Home At Last" and Bernard Purdie recreates the beat he did for the song. Then they cut to the two in the studio, isolating the multi-tracks so you only hear drums and maybe guitar and/or bass, but it's Purdie's recreation that makes it.

I did not like the one for Songs In The Key Of Life[/b], but Electric Ladyland[/b] was great. Dark Side Of The Moon[/b] was very cool, especially when you get to see David Gilmour in front of the VCS3, recreating what would become the melody for "On The Run".

Even though I'm not a big fan of the album, the one for Phil Collins' Face Value[/b] was interesting, especially when he talked about wanting to make the album he did, but Atlantic Records knew it would be difficult because the perception is that "white artists aren't supposed to make and sell black music".

• I did not like the one for Songs In The Key Of Life[/b]

I agree... it could have been better.

They need to put sopme Hip Hop in the line up:

"3 Feet High and Rising"
    "Fear of A Black Planet"

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

" Only Built4 Cuban Linx[/b] "

I'm only half joking. If you ever read tehe XXL album you'll have to agree it would make an awesome documentary.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

I'm only half joking. If you ever read tehe XXL album you'll have to agree it would make an awesome documentary.

ironman, sucka. one day you'll learn.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

ironman, sucka. one day you'll learn.

dude did you read the XXL article? zany anecdotes for days during the making of that album.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    buncha a clips on the tube:

Butch Vig showing us how Drain You was done:

thanks for this- this is awesome!

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I did not like the one for Songs In The Key Of Life[/b]

I agree... it could have been better.

All I have to say is that they fucking interview Coolio!!!!
    I mean, I know he did a horrible version of Pastime Paradise calling it......oh, tough stretch "Gangstas Paradise" but he drops such stupid nuggets of wisdom while being interviewed like....and I'm dead serious...

"I mean he's blind...you know, he can't see"

Wow. Thanks Coolio for that brilliant observation.

• I didn't see Lou Reed's Transformer!

Compared to other shows on TV, this series is attractive to watch but I only really enjoyed (and would recommend seeing) the Nirvana Nevermind one.