Rulie Garcia and the East LA Congregation

Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I picked up the Candy is Dandy 45 on Billionaire the other day and man its pretty bad. Apparently he has a few 45s and some LPs. Any of them good? He also recorded as Johnny Chingas. Care to drop some knowledge?

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    There's his famous "Cholo" / "Poquito Soul" on Specialty (Raza is the local one). He also has a nice early ('62?) boogaloo 45 by the Garcia Bros. on the Ruly label called "Buzz Buzz Buzz"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    dude is a legend... RIP

Can somebody tell me...what was this guy's deal? And when did he die? I've Googled his name any number of times but haven't come across much...there's nothing on him in Land Of 1000 Dances, either (an excellent history of East L.A. rock)...the single I have is "Que Pasa," a pretty good El Chicano-ish Latin-rock thing on United Artists (from '72 or '73, I'm not at home right now so I don't recall the exact date).

Once, on a WFMU radio broadcast I heard this strange record he did, titled something like "I Want To Hear Some Of That Rock & Roll??" When did this come out? It sounds like one of Frank Zappa's parodies of bubblegum pop music, specially that line where he mentions something about "saliva on my pillow" - what's up with that??

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    this album has a few radd jammzz

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...34890&rd=1&rd=1

dont know much about the dude though.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That record is thee shit. Pretty fucked up too.

I've had several copies that play with a lot of surface noise, so be careful out there.