Kenny Burrell "Chitlins con Carne" appreesh

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
dude just came into the store...said he was just getting into Jazz and wanted some record recommendations. I went out into the racks and pulled a buncha shit and told him I would play any of them so he could see if he was into it. He said he liked guitar so I pulled a bunch of stuff for him like Grant Green, Wes, Gabor and Kenny's "Midnight Blue" LP for him...I put it on and I hadnt listened to it in a long while...wow...one of those instances when you realize you are sweatin' the raers and always on the lookout for other shit, when you already have some of the best music in the world. Because of this instance, I am gonna go on a buying hiatus for a little while and just enjoy the 1000s of records I already have (although I will make exceptions for Calvin Bernard's "Greedy" and Marvelle and the Blue Mats "Dance called the Motion" if they come my way in the near future)

Comments

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Midnight Blue is real nice, was one that always got a lot of play in my parents household growing up and I've continued with it. Gonna put it on right after this Broadcast album ends.

Thanks for the reminder.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Midnight Blue is real nice

one of the first albums that got me 'into jazz' when I was young. Still listen to it regularly.
    But always thought that Stanley Turrentine wasnt the right sax dude for that album tho.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

i just found a copy of this

and it's making me very happy.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    classic
    can't imagine it w/out turrentine!

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    my friend had Kenny as a teacher at UCLA i believe. she said he was the best ever.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Midnight Blue was one of the first Jazz albums I ever bought. It is still one of my favorites. There is something timeless about that record that will continue to speak to people. Great music is always going to be great music. A landmark release IMO/life.