STUDIO GHIBLI APPRECIATION

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
so i was perusing the pacific film archive site, as it is my favorite venue to watch obscure films. i mean, their programming is usually pretty damn good. anyways, theyre having a STUDIO GHIBLI retrospective which is awesome cuz there are a few of those that i have seen, but never with english subtitles or dubs. in any case, if youre in the bay, or if youre near a video rental, i suggest you rent any of the them. miyazaki has so much style its ridiculous. plus the stories are always really good.http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/pfa_programs/ghibli/index.html

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    for some reason i read the topic all quick and thought it was "Studio Ginobli Appreciation" and was hoping to find some rapping Ginobli mp3 clips.

but this is pretty cool. i haven't been to the PFA theater in a long time and it's close to where my boyfriend lives. i printed out the program and foresee checking out some shows post shrubbery session

can you recommend any specific titles?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    well, my favorite is still totoro. but im pretty sure disney picked that up and had like kristen dunce or someone doing the voices.

after that, la puta aka castle in the sky, which was also recently released dubbed in english.

the one's that ive never seen in english are porco rosso and the raccoon one, pom poko. out of those 2 i liked the racoon one better, but like i said, it was in japanese and i didnt know what was going on. but the story seems to be about the mythical tanuki "japanese racoon" and im kind of a sucker for folklore. they organize against these developers of a forest [i think]

graveyard of the fireflies is about these 2 kids that wander japan right after the atomic bomb dropped. you will cry in this one.

i would recommend against "my neighbors yamada" as it is drawn with rudimentary stick figures, which is cool, but not nearly as dazzling as the others.

nausicaa is pretty dope too, but again, ive only seen it in japanese.

howl's moving castle is the brand new one so i havent seen that yet.

and spirited away and princess mononoke both got theatrical release in the states.

hope that helps!

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    graveyard of the fireflies is about these 2 kids that wander japan right after the atomic bomb dropped. you will cry in this one.
    this one is fuckin' awesome, so beautiful and poignant.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    well, my favorite is still totoro. but im pretty sure disney picked that up and had like kristen dunce or someone doing the voices.

after that, la puta aka castle in the sky, which was also recently released dubbed in english.

the one's that ive never seen in english are porco rosso and the raccoon one, pom poko. out of those 2 i liked the racoon one better, but like i said, it was in japanese and i didnt know what was going on. but the story seems to be about the mythical tanuki "japanese racoon" and im kind of a sucker for folklore. they organize against these developers of a forest [i think]

i would recommend against "my neighbors yamada" as it is drawn with rudimentary stick figures, which is cool, but not nearly as dazzling as the others.

nausicaa is pretty dope too, but again, ive only seen it in japanese.

howl's moving castle is the brand new one so i havent seen that yet.

and spirited away and princess mononoke both got theatrical release in the states.

hope that helps!

Man, me and tigerblurp loves us some Hayao Miyazaki//Ghibli!!!

Best animes ever!

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i love ghibli but totoro was my least favourite

if i had a kid, i would make it watch kiki's delivery service

spirited away is still my favourite, and i cant wait to see howls moving castle

i love ghibli but totoro was my least favourite

really? did you see the dubbed disney version or the subtitled? eh, it probably dont matter. if you dont like it you dont like it. i like it cuz its the first one i saw way back when and when i was in japan i lived in a town that looked like the one they live in...

but this aint about me.

APPRECIATE STUDIO GHIBLI!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Good post Shig!! i can't agree more with what you said.

MIYAZAKI HAYAO IS THE TRUTH!!! and it ain't just on some cutey's anime flick shit either. HIS SHIT IS SO REAL AND SO BEAUTIFUL. All of his movies have this ethereal quality to 'em; plots are highly engaging, themes often times incorporate the world's problems, the worlds that he creates are so vivid and alive, not to mention his movies have some of the most amazing visuals you'll EVER see. Forty-year olds can enjoy it as much as a 13year old.

words really can not do justice to his catalog of work......each one is on some "next level shit".

I haven't seen 'em all, but my favs. are (japanese titles):

Tonari no Totoro[/b]:

just saw this again recently. everyone's favorite and to no surprise. shit is just BEAUTIFUL from start to finish. it'll even make a grumpy 40year old man smile.

Tenku- no Shiro Laputa[/b]:

a motherfuckin' trip.

Kaze no Tani no Nausica[/b]:

used to be my favorite. yall gotta see this to believe it.

Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi[/b]:

out of the recent ones, this is my favorite. next level shit.

I've only seen 'em in Japanese, but I have a feeling it won't have the same kinda impact if I saw it in English...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    porco rosso is probably my favorite of his.

studio Ghibli can do no wrong if you ask me.

CO-SIGN to the 10th degree.

I was in japan i lived in a town that looked like the one they live in...

yo Shig, this is exactly where I was trying to get at. People love his work so much cuz they could relate to it and the worlds he creates in the movies have such a strong sense of the actual world. Human emotions and a subtlety unique to the Japanese, it's all there....it really gets no better.

ha ha! yuichikun i knew you were gonna bring out the goods dude. but yeah, thats exactly what i love about these flicks. heavy topics without being pretentious. wildly imaginative without being too corny. understated with the themes and mindblowing with the visuals. its easy to get wrapped up in the animation, but these things could stand on their own legs with the content alone.

did you see that stick figure one? you know the one with the dude with the bird body on the poster? it came out in like 1999 or so. and since the visuals werent all dazzling, and i wouldnt understand what was going on i decided not to watch it. but according to the blurb in that pfa retrospective, seems like they touch on japanese family dynamics...

I haven't seen that one, but sounds interesting. There's quite a few i haven't seen yet. which i should! but yea, Studio Ghibli, IMO Japanese foundations man! If you can appreciate these films, you can appreciate Japanese culture.

yappari ne

hahaha.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

CO-SIGN to the 10th degree.

• slushslush 691 Posts

just caught howls moving castle. i wish i saw the subtitled, if only for a lack of billy crystal. that guy needs to move on and start gardening or something. stay away from any recording booth please

very cool movie though. miyazaki is getting more and more fucked up and i don't mind at all.

Shig, I saw half of "Tonari no Yamada-kun", the movie with sketch-like drawings. IT IS INCREDIBLE. I think it's gonna be one of my favorites of Miyazaki's movies.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    The greatest. all ghibli movie are classics (to me)
    who have seen "Pompoko" from takahata ?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I saw Howl's but without English so I probobly missed some important stuff. lol. I plan on watching it again but I just wanted to see the animation. I'm a fan of Ghibli to some extent as I own all their films, but at the same time I'm not a huge Anime fan. I own them more for what they represent more than my personal tastes. I've found that I've been more interested in GITS2 or Wonderful Days type stuff recently in terms of animation over Ghibli even though the Ghibli films are obviously much older.

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    yeah I love Studio Ghibli, I have a DVD collection of the films it has My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Grave Of The Fireflies, Princess Mononoke, well its got all these in it lol and looks like this,

Its a sweet set. Personally when it comes to the disney dubs I think they are always done very tastefully, orginals are obviously slightly better but if it gets kids into some great animation then hell I don't care, but it would be nice though if they could be bothered to read mind you then you don't get to see all the amazing artwork I guess, thats if you are a slow reader.

My faves are Spirted Away and My Neighbour Totoro. In general though all the films bring out so many emotions they are just beautiful and I'll admit it I haven't seen a Studio Ghibli film without welling up.

I would love to see them all at the cinema would be great and I'm looking forward to seeing Howls does not come out here for a while.