damn, Luther Ingram RIP

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I didnt see a post about this, but damn RIP...Fox news:Luther Ingram, the man who co-wrote one of pop music's greatest hits, has died at age 69.Ingram, whose recording of "If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Want to Be Right)" was a No. 1 hit in 1973, died Monday in St. Louis.He'd had a kidney transplant several years ago and fought kidney failure for most of the last decade.Starting out with his brothers as The Gardenias in Alton, Ill., Ingram went on to a solo career with Koko Records, which was distributed by the famous Stax label.He co-wrote the Staples Singers hit "Respect Yourself" with Sir Mack Rice.Ingram's other hits included "Ain't That Loving You (For More Reasons Than One)" and "I'll Be Your Shelter."Survivors include his wife Jacqueline, sons Luther Jr. (Eric) and Kenneth, a sister and five brothers.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    RIP, I still rock "Puttin' Game Down" at gigs. "Home Don't Seem Like Home" is a beautiful track too.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    RIP

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    R.I.P.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    "if it's all the same to you babe" is my dream 45.

RIP

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    RIP, I still rock "Puttin' Game Down" at gigs.

cosign.

an early track of his "Since You dont Want Me" is realy really nice as well.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

cosign.

Cosign. RIP, Luther

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    r.i.p.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

Wonderful vid.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    RIP

Wonderful vid.

One of the best WattStax performances, for sure. His music lives in his stead.

• RIP, I still rock "Missing You" at gigs.

(ov wright's version ain't too bad either)

~~~~Rest In Peace Luther Ingram~~~~

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    RIP, I still rock "Missing You" at gigs.

That was the other one I play out that I was trying to think of, great track.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    "if it's all the same to you babe" is my dream 45.

RIP

The instrumental flip of that, "Exus Trek", was one of the big Northern Soul tunes of my teenage years. I didn't really discover the joys of the vocal version until much later. Great tune, either way.

RIP, Luther.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    RIP

Wonderful vid.

One of the best WattStax performances, for sure. His music lives in his stead.

RIP

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Wow. That is a shame. "Puttin' Game Down" among others get a bunch of play around my place, i'll have to throw a bunch on after work.

RIP

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

cosign.

Cosign. RIP, Luther

Another cosign ... I love that record. RIP.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    RIP, I still rock "Missing You" at gigs.

That was the other one I play out that I was trying to think of, great track.

He also cut the track back in the 60s...great version, nice n gritty...cool female backing, great horns...

he also recut the B-side of this single ("since you dont want me") in 1971..but the sixties version is hittin' and much better...my favorite Luther track.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Great musician but a bit of a dark side. According to Rob Bowman dude was a gangster and his associates were in part responsible for screwing things up at Stax when they came on board in the late 60s.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Great musician but a bit of a dark side. According to Rob Bowman dude was a gangster and his associates were in part responsible for screwing things up at Stax when they came on board in the late 60s.

I think it was his boss--the proprietor of the Koko imprint, whose name I can't remember--that was the gangster; I don't remember there being anything like that about Ingram himself.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've always been partial to the early Koko single, "My Honey & Me"

R.I.P.

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I think it was his boss--the proprietor of the Koko imprint, whose name I can't remember--that was the gangster; I don't remember there being anything like that about Ingram himself.

Johnny Baylor and this other dude. Trust me Luther was no angel, hanging with those dudes.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Luther Ingram, the man who co-wrote one of pop music's greatest hits, has died at age 69.

Ingram, whose recording of "If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Want to Be Right)" was a No. 1 hit in 1973, died Monday in St. Louis.

I'm appalled that a lot of people only know this song through Barbara Mandrell's corny version...

Ingram's other hits included "I'll Be Your Shelter."

Ah-HA...now this is a forgotten classic that needs to be as well-known as "Loving You Wrong/Right"...matter of fact, this was the immediate followup...total soul goodness.

Other Ingram faves I haven't seen mentioned yet: "Love Ain't Gonna Run Me Away," "You Can Depend On Me," and his sixties-era single on Smash, "I Spy For The FBI."