Larry Willis- Inner Crisis

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Copped this several weeks ago, and was listening to it tonight while packing some records. Very accessible jazz-funk ish. I like it. Any other things he's associated with that I should check for?

Comments

• It's my personal favorite LP of his, although you may also enjoy:

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Cool, I'll check for that.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    A New Kind of Soul is a great album. For nice Larry Willis work look back to the Sixties and his work with Lee Morgan, Stan Getz or Jackie McLean. More straight ahead jazz than the kind of fusion funk on Inner Crisis but some great recordings. He spent a lot of the Seventies working with Blood, Sweat and Tears.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    get this one, larry willis plays electric here also , from 72, contains great version of inner crisis, a mix between funky tracks ala the groove merchant joint and more spiritual stuff.

also check out the hollywood album with the crusaders, same sound/ groove as the larry willis!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    get this one, larry willis plays electric here also , from 72, contains great version of inner crisis, a mix between funky tracks ala the groove merchant joint and more spiritual stuff.

!

I need this.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Copped this several weeks ago, and was listening to it tonight while packing some records. Very accessible jazz-funk ish. I like it. Any other things he's associated with that I should check for?

new kind of soul is the one for me.
    recommend it way above inner crisis
    more interesting and better display of styles
    rather than just one
    which fits into the groove merchant box

larry has a a new album out right now too
    they've been playing a couple tunes off of it on NYC jazz radio stations
    it sounds pretty good.
    might want to check for it.

• larry has a a new album out right now too
    they've been playing a couple tunes off of it on NYC jazz radio stations
    it sounds pretty good.
    might want to check for it.

They're playing it here too. All these 60+ year old bebop heads are comin' in asking for it along with the new Calvin Keys and Sonny Simmons. I always offer to get them copies of these guys older records but they're like "No".

Peace,
    SONIC