XLR8R on blast

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I have to do this because it is too funny not to.Anyways, I just got a check today from a series of articles I wrote for XLR8R in ........ 2004.Includes $75 for my Madlib/Prefuse cover story. $75? what's that, $.03 a word?When I started writing for this mag they warned me that they were behind a couple months on payments, but I understood, no biggie! After two years, I gave up hope and basically stopped writing for the mag. No hate, just not my thing anymore.Anyways, for all your XLR8R writers, keep hope alive!Ross, you should be getting paid for your current cover story in, um, about three years. Mark your calendar. And start planning how to spend your $75!!!

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I have to do this because it is too funny not to.

Anyways, I just got a check today from a series of articles I wrote for XLR8R in ........ 2004.

Includes $75 for my Madlib/Prefuse cover story. $75? what's that, $.03 a word?

When I started writing for this mag they warned me that they were behind a couple months on payments, but I understood, no biggie! After two years, I gave up hope and basically stopped writing for the mag. No hate, just not my thing anymore.

Anyways, for all your XLR8R writers, keep hope alive!

Ross, you should be getting paid for your current cover story in, um, about three years. Mark your calendar. And start planning how to spend your $75!!!

OH SNAP! Now THAT is funny!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Happy St Patty's Day, Chan!

What's the beverage of choice tonight, homie?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Kilbeggan Whiskey, Bushmills, Guinness and Harp! With a full Irish dinner. On may way to Mom's crib in a minute. I hope you and Cas have a good night! I'll see you folls on the boards late tonight when I'm a little tipsy.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i've heard this before about them
    their continual quest to be urb-lite isn't v. endearing either

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    haha I remeber reading that article....

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Wasn't Enki a writer for them?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Kilbeggan Whiskey, Bushmills, Guinness and Harp! With a full Irish dinner. On may way to Mom's crib in a minute. I hope you and Cas have a good night! I'll see you folls on the boards late tonight when I'm a little tipsy.

I am expecting BIG THANGS from you and Cas on the late night drunken soul strut tip tonight.

for real though I better see some post-Paddy's day binge drank posts tonight.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Wasn't Enki a writer for them?

I was indeed. A freelancer for a while, then a staff writer for a couple years, then a columnist...then the column got axed and I didn't do anything for them for a while...then, recently, they had me writing snarky-ass hip-hop news for their website until last week, when I got word that I was being cut loose from that as well as they needed to cut down on freelancers (which I technically was). So that's that, although I may do a regular Friday Five thing for the website still just because I appreciate the opportunity to be a shit-talky music nerd.

All that said, I never had a check delayed as long as Anna's was. Come se dice ridiculous? Ahh, the indie magazine game....