Reel To Reel Strut

Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
i just bagged a fostex model 80 8 track reel to reel tape recorder, i wondered how many dudes around here still use the old ferric material for recording.Sounds real good, i still use a PC but i think you can't beat the anolog sound makes your beats sound phatter than phat.....

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    *Paging ThesOne*

Using a reel to reel isn't that hard, its maintaining them and reducing noise & hiss that is tricky.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yes
    make a record with that bitch
    best way to learn ever
    drums and bass and mids and highs sound so much better than a 7000rpm gyroscope that crunches 1s and 0s
    but tape is tough to come by these days

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    yes
    make a record with that bitch
    best way to learn ever
    drums and bass and mids and highs sound so much better than a 7000rpm gyroscope that crunches 1s and 0s
    but tape is tough to come by these days

but if your tape heads are wack, its not worth the effort. use your ears, and fug with alignment. Wacking the tape is generally where the phat sounds get that nice harmonic distortion.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I have a reel tape of Two Guns, a country rock band who only had one LP, which was on Capricorn in '79. This is their unreleased, kind of - sort of psychedelic effort recorded in a downtown studio in '71. It's certainly not of the same caliber as the second Archie Whitewater recording, but interesting regardless. Listen to the drums and bass during the beginning of "Best Move". A coworker who has a country music studio did a big favor by recording this for me.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ksr9jf

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Our label is making an album, in part, on an 8-track Fostex. Functional, reliable, and will outlast any digital media. I would argue that your signal chain adds more to the "phat" than the inherent properties of tape, but that's a long book to write, and it's been covered elsewhere in reams.

I got to hear some shit recorded on Herbie Hancock's old 2-inch machine (*insert "Chameleon" lick here*) recently. It was neat, for lack of a better word.

While not soulstrut-credible, here's a little tune that I love to death, which came out of the Fostex.

Post something when you make some progress with that thing, I'd like to hear it.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    thanks for hooking up those downloads dudes, I got a shoe box full of Ampex tape i'm itching to get on with stuff...i got this little baby for ??165 which is around $320 thats a bargain...once i got something done i'll post something up.

The signal chain does contribute, i was always told tape saturation helps to pHHHhaten as well.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    As the weather gets better, it's the perfect time for yard/garage sales and grannies throwing away their private reel collections. I'm ready for it.

Granny, let me see you shake your 101 Strings bubble gum.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    dope. i wish i could find one, i still have have some half inch tapes with classic material....