Digitizing vinyl

MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
So I've been sampling using a very basic setup of an SL1200, a barebones mixer and Pro Tools. Lately I've been wanting to get the sound a bit cleaner so I started thinking about alternatives to this configuration.Anyone tried this thing or others similar? That is simple vinyl deck to USB type things. What do peoples here use?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I still listen to records.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    No peoples on here backing up their grails in digitized format? Come on. BUMP.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    You need to have no weak link in the signal chain:

1. good turntable
    2. good phono preamp
    3. good converter

All depends on how money you want to invest.
    What's your budget?

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Have an SL1200 with Ortofon Pro-S cartridge.

Budget = $200.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Joke products will not help you get a better sound. Your setup sounds sufficient. What you need are better cables and clean records. Recable your Techs with one of these: Hydrawire Technics Kit

Then buy cables from redco.com They sound like Mogami cables but are 1/2 the price.

The preamps in the mixer also make a big difference. What are you using?

• Joke products will not help you get a better sound. Your setup sounds sufficient. What you need are better cables and clean records. Recable your Techs with one of these: Hydrawire Technics Kit

Then buy cables from redco.com They sound like Mogami cables but are 1/2 the price.

whats that hydrawire all bout? some technics audiophile shit?

what kinda needles you guys use for recording?

Joke products will not help you get a better sound. Your setup sounds sufficient. What you need are better cables and clean records. Recable your Techs with one of these: Hydrawire Technics Kit

Shure M97xE = king of hiding surface noise, crackle, ticks, pops. Dirt cheap too, can get them for around $50 some spots.

Hydrawire is just some dude who makes good cables, and sells one as a kit that makes it easy to resolder new connectors to Techs. If you really want to make Techs sound great though you gotta rewire the tonearm, which takes a bit more work. Basically Technics are the best Turntable money can buy for below $1000, except for the wiring, which is sub-par.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I would never change the cables on the technics, that's some audiophile "this cable is for jazz and if I listen to beatles than I use this cable made of 19th century copper" crap.

Get used terratec phase 24 soundcard and a phono preamp, something like this http://www.smproaudio.com/XP200.htm, which runs off a battery, so you don't have power supply interference. I've had some 300-600 EURO preamps at home and this little gadget performs really good for the price.

I would never change the cables on the technics, that's some audiophile "this cable is for jazz and if I listen to beatles than I use this cable made of 19th century copper" crap.

It's really not. At all. If you have ever used a crappy cable next to a well-built one you can tell the difference. The difference between a well-built cable and some $200 audiophile shit is negligible, but making an inexpensive step up from the weak stock cables is really worth $40.

• Joke products will not help you get a better sound. Your setup sounds sufficient. What you need are better cables and clean records. Recable your Techs with one of these: Hydrawire Technics Kit

Shure M97xE = king of hiding surface noise, crackle, ticks, pops. Dirt cheap too, can get them for around $50 some spots.

Hydrawire is just some dude who makes good cables, and sells one as a kit that makes it easy to resolder new connectors to Techs. If you really want to make Techs sound great though you gotta rewire the tonearm, which takes a bit more work. Basically Technics are the best Turntable money can buy for below $1000, except for the wiring, which is sub-par.

i remember reading an article awhile back about audiophile foo-foo vz a KAB modded 1200 and the technics outshined all the ballin turntables by a long shot.

personally though, my ears are too beat up from too many shows to tell the difference, and i plus i'd rather spend the extra $ on records.

are you recording for microewave or sampling or what with the m97xe? is there a noticeable dif between that and a dj needle?

• ps -cosign on getting good cables, i recently got better cables from the mixer to speaks and its night and day. butt i dont think there is a big diff (besides price) between quality and audiphle bs.

$30 for a ceramic doodad to keep cables off the floor? GTFOOHWTBS!

i remember reading an article awhile back about audiophile foo-foo vz a KAB modded 1200 and the technics outshined all the ballin turntables by a long shot.

personally though, my ears are too beat up from too many shows to tell the difference, and i plus i'd rather spend the extra $ on records.

are you recording for microewave or sampling or what with the m97xe? is there a noticeable dif between that and a dj needle?

There is a significant difference. My 447 styli are pretty beat, so it's not a fair comparison at all, but you will definately notice a difference. The m97xE tracks extraordinarily well, I have some really warped records that my 447s are too heavy to deal with and the m97xE does fine. Also great for dealing with harsh, sibliant recordings. I haven't used Ortofons, so I can't speak on them, but when I've heard DJs using the Nightclubs they always sound real crisp.

• spcspc 534 Posts

I also have this system, good sound for the price.

• spcspc 534 Posts

It's really not. At all. If you have ever used a crappy cable next to a well-built one you can tell the difference. The difference between a well-built cable and some $200 audiophile shit is negligible, but making an inexpensive step up from the weak stock cables is really worth $40.

I'd really like to hear this myself. Could you record an example od both for me?

I'd really like to hear this myself. Could you record an example od both for me?

Yeah, I'm getting two of the kits next week to install, and was going to do some tests myself. I'm limited by not having the greatest of all A/D converters, but I'll try to pull something.