Defending Mixtapes & Mashups on Floor of Congress

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    all I can imagine is that the majority of people in there were like (leaning over to the guy next to him):

"do you know what he's talking about?"

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    He looks like terri garr's boss in Mr. Mom.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    I'm really glad people are trying to push this debate, which is WAY overdue, but I have to think there are more compelling arguments that the ones dude is making.

He seems to be saying "yeah, it's illegal, but it sounds good and people like it." At least that's what it will probably sound like to most of his audience.

I think a more useful tactic would be trying to re-evaluate the idea of how intellectual property applies to music, since the laws there seem to be more more rigid than, say, literature or film making.

I know that's sort of what he's getting at, but I think there might be better ways to get through to congress than citing electronic music they've never heard and comparing it to a real (albeit overlooked) theft from the Beatles.

I'd like to hear the whole statement.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Pual only quoted Chuck Berry once?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    mash-ups should be illegal. you should get the slammer especially if you play a pre-made one.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    mash-ups should be illegal. you should get the slammer especially if you play a pre-made one.

YES! People should only be allowed to rock house parties with original versions of Ying Yang Twin songs. (sarcasm intended)

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    whoa... girl talk is a biomedical engineer?

original mash up king:

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

YES! People should only be allowed to rock house parties with original versions of Ying Yang Twin songs. (sarcasm intended)

i didnt watch the clip, but copyright laws will not be overturned, sorry. i'd bet my entire catalogue of illegal mixtapes and mashups on it.