highest TIP you have received

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
i worked at long beach convention center for a few years back in my youth. the long beach gran prix race took place in and around the c.c. alot of the corporate sponsers would hire us through our union to work at their hospitality private parties. me and a friend were hired by team toshiba to open beer bottles for the guests. they paid us $30 an hour for 8 hrs. and then gave us each a $300 tip. good times for an 18 year old dude. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    damn thats gonna be hard to beat.

i was bagging groceries when i was 16, in full blown pubescent awkwardness. i helped a beautiful woman in her young 30's to her car with a bunch of bags filled with tortilla chips, tequila, and other party supplies. she gave me a $100 bill and said "too bad you can't come to barbecue cutey." i'll never forget that generous angel lady.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    damn thats gonna be hard to beat.

i was bagging groceries when i was 16, in full blown pubescent awkwardness. i helped a beautiful woman in her young 30's to her car with a bunch of bags filled with tortilla chips, tequila, and other party supplies. she gave me a $100 bill and said "too bad you can't come to barbecue cutey." i'll never forget that generous angel lady.

You should have quit your job and gone to the party.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    About 10 years ago at a black tie business awards an obnoxious drunk guy mistook me for one of the waiters, also in black tie. He grabbed me, shoved ??300 in my hand and told me to get champagne for his table and to "get a fuckin' move on". I went back to my table, took off my bow tie and went home with his cash at the end of the night. Does that count as a tip?

About 10 years ago at a black tie business awards an obnoxious drunk guy mistook me for one of the waiters, also in black tie. He grabbed me, shoved ??300 in my hand and told me to get champagne for his table and to "get a fuckin' move on". I went back to my table, took off my bow tie and went home with his cash at the end of the night. Does that count as a tip?

nice one stein...

when i was 16 i was a valet @ a yacht club, we had this dude who lived at the club who was a baller, i became his personal driver for good reason...
    1 day had to take him & 4 friends from the club to the airport (20min run) i got $500 from my guy & a C-note from each of his boys so $800 for a 20min drop off, then while he was out of town for the weekend, i was left to use his convertible jaguar good times, so then sunday even upon pick up of the gentlemen, i was givin' a 100$ from each dude, so fri-sun i got 1200$ in tips & a car for the weekend...
    fuck i miss that job, last trip back to cali, the dude was on my plane w/ his new flooozy was good to catch up...

I worked at a yacht club in Martha's Vineyard but the members were a bunch of cheap waspy old farts. Walter Cronkite was cool as shit though he kept hitting one of the red head waitresses.

nice one stein...

when i was 16 i was a valet @ a yacht club, we had this dude who lived at the club who was a baller, i became his personal driver for good reason...
    1 day had to take him & 4 friends from the club to the airport (20min run) i got $500 from my guy & a C-note from each of his boys so $800 for a 20min drop off, then while he was out of town for the weekend, i was left to use his convertible jaguar good times, so then sunday even upon pick up of the gentlemen, i was givin' a 100$ from each dude, so fri-sun i got 1200$ in tips & a car for the weekend...
    fuck i miss that job, last trip back to cali, the dude was on my plane w/ his new flooozy was good to catch up...

I worked at a yacht club in Martha's Vineyard but the members were a bunch of cheap waspy old farts. Walter Cronkite was cool as shit though he kept hitting one of the red head waitresses.

yeah we had old bittys too, here sonny heres 50cents, each ticket cost us a 1$ so the bitch gives us 50cent we owe 50cent, funny when a lady in a rolls royce tips you fucking 50cents... cunt...

Thats why old money folks still have money though, its not like they do anything useful or they have ever worked a day in their life.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I have a good one. The firm I work for is strictly corporate, anti-trust and complex civil litigation, but we have always had a sub-tenant (by sheer historical coincidence) who is one of the top criminal defense attorneys in the United States. He made a name, and a damn good living, representing many of the G****no's, J**n Sr. & J**n Jr. So, one day durring J**n Jr.'s first trial, when the whole organization basically hung out in our offices because it was the only place they could go other than sit at home with their wives all day, J**k "The Nose," who is a classic gentelman, perfect hair, perfect dentures, white pants, white shoes, and a powder blue polo shirt, asks me to get in a car and go across the bridge to brooklyn to pick up Peter Lugers for the all of them. Lugers gave them everything, including plates and steak knives. The Nose gave me $2000 in hundreds and told me to keep the change which, even after I tipped Lugers was over $200.

They were in our offices every day for like a month. Some other good stories:

a. J**n Jr. had a monogramed velour track suit.

b. The day his brother in law P***r thought that the giant poster of Marilyn Manson in time square right outside our office windows was a girl and was teasing J**n that "she" was his girlfriend.

c. The day the whole family had to come in and sign over their houses so the boys could make bail, and our lobby looked like a casting call from The Sopranos, with the daughter in white leather like Nancy Sinatra and the mothers with the teased up hair and foul mouths.

d. When the demolition for the Hardrock cafe across the street set of an explosive charge, and The Nose almost jumped under the desk.

e. That all they do is sit around and read about themselves on http://www.ganglandnews.com/

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I got 2 tips in my life, both in Taiwan @ Ministry of Sound.

One was $200

The other was $80.

The $200 one was to play Jay-Z & Linkin Park - Encore. I caved in and did it....

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I never really worked a job that gave tips but I frequently throw down $20 or $30 tips at some of my favorite restaurants. I have a rule that I never tip less than $5 for meals.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    When I worked for Dominos in college I used to get "hey dude, do you want to smoke your tip?" pretty regularly which I generally took them up on.
    On the DJ tip a friend of mine was DJing a happy hour party at a DC bar a few years back. She was playing a bunch of brit pop and 80's stuff and this guy came up to her and asked if she had "Is She Really Going Out With Him" by Joe Jackson and threw down a $20 bill. She had it and said "sure" and played it next. As the song was ending the guy said "play it again" and threw down another $20 (mind you I think she was getting paid about $50 for this gig). She played it again. And again. Three times in a row for $60. She finally refused on the fourth attempt.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    lady friend of mine pulled 700 dollars of a skeezy dude while waitressing at the local irish pub. she's hopin to pull a grand this weekend.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    lady friend of mine pulled 700 dollars of a skeezy dude while "waitressing"[/b] at the local irish pub. she's hopin to pull a grand this weekend.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I got a $50 bill handed to me one night while I was DJing and was told to "play Unchained by Van Halen" I was happy to oblige.

• I never received a large tip in any job..

I have a tip related question..how much do you tip a barber in the US??

I used to tip 5 or ten pounds in England but am unsure of what goes on with that in this country..

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

That shit is so baller, but only an actual *ahem* "concrete business executive" can pull it off. Anybody else would just look like a schmuck who can't dress himself.

Biggest tip I ever got was $10 and a handful of weed when I was pumping gas. Not much, but it sure made me happy.

• Walter Cronkite was cool as shit though he kept hitting one of the red head waitresses.

Damn, Walter got his pimp game on lock!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

That shit is so baller, but only an actual *ahem* "concrete business executive" can pull it off. Anybody else would just look like a schmuck who can't dress himself.

Im still trying to figure out the exact moment the mafia went LL Cool J.

• I got a $50 bill handed to me one night while I was DJing and was told to "play Unchained by Van Halen" I was happy to oblige.

dude, I can't believe you would play that kinda crap! They could have at least requested Bon Jovi or something good

Walter Cronkite was cool as shit though he kept hitting one of the red head waitresses.

His wife told the waitress, "Walter likes red heads."

Cronkite followed up with, "Yes I do, very much."

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

my biggest tip was from Bjorn Borg. he came into a restaurant i was bartending (In Sweden) and sat at the bar with the hottest chick you have ever seen. was cool as shit, we chatted and he asked me my name, i told him and then asked his... the bar went silent and then everyone cracked up. He's a big deal in Sweden.

at the end of his meal he came back to the bar and asked me how many people were working and tipped all 5 of is US$100 dollars each.

why he had US dollars in the middle of Sweden i dont know, but it was cool as hell.

• Walter Cronkite was cool as shit though he kept hitting one of the red head waitresses.

"see...a pimp's love is different from a square's love"

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    $20-$50 tips at the bar I work at are not uncommon. 100% tips on orders under $100 are just gravy. I think we all got around $200 bucks for the Carmello Anthony Party Nike hosted a few months ago.

I cant recall ever getting more than that, but one of my regulars once tipped me with a sandwhich bag full of vicodin...weed is a pretty normal tip around my work too as almost all of us are smokers.

People give us weird stuff all the time too. Perfume, Sex Toys, CD's, Rocks, Donuts...you name it!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm sure I have a good one lurking in the back of my brain from my days waiting tables, but the last one I remember was someone left $75 and a note in womens handwriting saying "great job!" in my record bag. No requests, no nothing. Just the set I had for that night. I never found out who it was.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I never received a large tip in any job..

I have a tip related question..how much do you tip a barber in the US??

I used to tip 5 or ten pounds in England but am unsure of what goes on with that in this country..

Come on you meant to type hairdresser didn't you? If there's processes involved, $30-$40 is good.

• Does finding $300 in a wallet outside a huge bougie ball at a mansion were i was a valet count?(i left the wallet on the porch)

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    the saturday before last, beanie sigel gave me a wad of cash (that added up to $120) a few minutes after walking into this lounge i dj at. i played all the obvious songs he has done or been in, then later in the night, he asked for michael jackson. haha.