Bay Area dudes..............

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I'm gonna be visiting my friend in Berkley this weekend. I wanna do some digging.I went to Ashby Flea one time, it was okay. I've also gone to Amoeba and Groove Merchant. What other spots are worth checking? Also, any events going down this weekend?

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    depending on what youre after youre more than welcome to come through and check out either of my storages. though im in berkeley.

i think jesse/kidinquisitive has some sale stuff and hes in berkeley.

ashby (bart) flea mkt is on saturday and sunday. art in the milk truck always has something cool. i always do well in the morning (7a) though new sellers come through into the late morning. they also make some nice sandwiches just across the street at the deli/store (no liquor sold).

theres a lot of diggin out here to be done.

just saw you mentioned ashby. theres also laney college in oakland that has a weekend flea as well. best to get there super early so you can get the jump on some of the regulars. i think its 880 exit jackson, make the 2nd left and the first right (hahaha... i dont know street signs just how to drive) and youre there. probaby best to look on a map.

sunday morning there is alemany flea in sf at the 101/280 interchange. i havent been there in months but that was my spot.

plus there is the half price books in berkeley you can hit as well.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Thank you so much. I think i'm gonna try the Laney College Flea, and generally
    stay around in the Berkley area.

Thanks for those tips!

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    depending on what youre after youre more than welcome to come through and check out either of my storages. though im in berkeley.

dude, i know you didn't move to berkeley...

hell naw... berkeleys for chumps (like jon and jesse), nerds and hippies!

san francisco do or die...

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    the laney flea is the spot.
    ill be hitting that up on sunday

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    If you've never been you absolutley must visit Cool Chris at the Groove Merchant in the lower Haight area of SF. The best record store in the Bay Area, without a doubt in my mind.

• depending on what youre after youre more than welcome to come through and check out either of my storages. though im in berkeley.

OH NO HE DIDN'T.

• I don't know why it is but Ashby has been garbage this year. Very few interesting records turning up compared to the last couple years. Art hasn't added any new records to the truck in weeks (of course the one weekend I went out of town he decided to throw 3 or 4 OG Meters in there for a few bucks each!). Laney can still be decent if you hit it on the right Sunday (and somehow manage to beat out Charlie, Ricky, Ray Brown, Arjuna, Adam, Me, etc etc etc. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Haha Justin's just mad because he can't come with me for long walks in Tilden Park anymore!

Wow too bad about Ashby. But still worth touring for a few minutes mid-day for some true Berkeley schitt.

I was amazed at the massive amount of diggaz at Laney last time I was there. There were old heads, young scrappys, Cool Chris, and the East Bay record mafia. Too many cooks indeed. AND TOO FEW RECORDS.

Not for nothing I miss the Bay crazy. See yall soon.

Too many cooks in the kitchen.

Sums up digging in the Bay Area pretty well. Tons of records, but also tons of people looking for them.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

I take that as a personal insult!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I've lived both the Berkeley and SF lifestyle. Trust me, Berkeley is no match.

The East Bay is where it's at, no doubt about it in my mind. I'd never want to live in San Francisco.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    The East Bay is where it's at, no doubt about it in my mind. I'd never want to live in San Francisco.
    smart man.

smart man.

look kids... you know NOTHING. nothing.

while there may be some hurt done to my lovely town, due mostly to the internet rage, white people, hipsters, and gentrification... NAGL...

its still called the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA. people dont want to visit your silly side of the bay. get it right...

this thread is becoming ugly like yalls waterfront...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    J,

There are more hippies walking about and in Haight Street/Golden Gate Park then the entire city of Berkeley! Take that!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Again, you just need to know how to interpret Justin's insults.

He got beat down, robbed and stripped by a bunch of H2O kids back in the day. I see his ass is still sore...

Again, you just need to know how to interpret Justin's insults.

He got beat down, robbed and stripped by a bunch of H2O kids back in the day. I see his ass is still sore...

whatever dude... that was a long time ago...

you east bayers got NOTHING on san francisco. whiners...

J,

There are more hippies walking about and in Haight Street/Golden Gate Park then the entire city of Berkeley! Take that!

The hippies in Berkeley sold out, bought houses, started companies and now are a slightly different breed of yuppie. At least the SF hippie is true to his roots.

J,

The hippies in Berkeley sold out, bought houses, started companies and now are a slightly different breed of yuppie. At least the SF hippie is true to his roots.

see joel.. even your hippies aint REAL!

score-

san francisco = 49
    east bay = poopoo

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    white people

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    J,

see joel.. even your hippies aint REAL!

score-

san francisco = 49
    east bay = poopoo
    Sold out=buying a house and starting a business?

Totally. They should have stayed in People's Park because THAT's a good look.

Jinx, your scoring system is unclear and illogical--you must be a product of SF public schools.

Okay, that's not much of a diss considering the state of many east bay public schools. Let me think of something better.

Okay, here we go. We're not poopoo, YOU ARE! There, take that!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Y'all are just jealous you don't live in Saratoga...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    girls in bikinis aside...

....is for damn sure not true.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    girls in bikinis aside...

....is for damn sure not true.

It's hard to get sarcasm across on the interwebs

• girls in bikinis everywhere...

Y'all are just jealous you don't live in Santa Cruz...

Sold out=buying a house and starting a business?

No. The fact they sold out and bought houses are independent of each other.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    justin you crack me up dude. "this thread is getting ugly like yall's waterfront" classic material

p.s. a lot of hippies evolve into yuppies and i see no real difference between east bay and sf hippies

• i smell[/b] no real difference between east bay and sf hippies

girls in bikinis everywhere...

Y'all are just jealous you don't live in Santa Cruz...

Yeah man we got that on lock during the summer.