Bob MCgrath

mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Today I saw a Bob Mcgrath LP and noticed Earl Palmer played Drums on there. It's not the one with the Beatnuts sample on it but it is a solo record for kids. Has anyone heard this joint and is it worth copping? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Today I saw a Bob Mcgrath LP and noticed Earl Palmer played Drums on there. It's not the one with the Beatnuts sample on it but it is a solo record for kids. Has anyone heard this joint and is it worth copping? Any insight would be much appreciated.

I didn't even know the Beatnuts sampled from it, I did a search and that's the album I've used as well. Is it the song with the slow funky beat and the nice bassline, the song about whistling? Or is it the interludes with the "I'm Walkin'"-like drum beat?

Anyway... there's another album he did on Disneyland Records, with an illustrated cover. There are a few moments on there that are kind of nice.

If it's this one:

...then I have no idea.

EDIT/ADDITION: After doing a search, I came to Motown67's reviews on this very site, and mentioned the exact same beats.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Children of All Ages shit is the only worthwhile Bob Mcgrath material

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Anyway... there's another album he did on Disneyland Records, with an illustrated cover. There are a few moments on there that are kind of nice.

thanks...Yo its the disneyland one ... The one I've got with the beatnuts sample is selftitled called "Bob Mcgrath from Sesame Street" It's got his face on the cover and has that shit that goes "Be proud of who you are" It's ill really only cuz I liked that "Stone Crazy" album

thanks...Yo its the disneyland one ... The one I've got with the beatnuts sample is selftitled called "Bob Mcgrath from Sesame Street" It's got his face on the cover and has that shit that goes "Be proud of who you are" It's ill really only cuz I liked that "Stone Crazy" album

On the Disneyland one, the album is pretty crappy and not as good as the one everyone knows about. But there's a song on there where he goes through a marching segment. I don't remember if "When The Saints Go Marching In" was the song, but there's a drum marching part that I chopped up up awhile back. If you listen to that break, each flourish pans from left to right, and I believe it's the third part.

Not a funky break by any means, but definitely one that works if done right.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Earl Palmer got so much work out there in L.A. that he turns up on a lot of non-R&B/breakbeat-type stuff, as well. That's him drumming on the theme from THE FLINTSTONES.

Earl Palmer got so much work out there in L.A. that he turns up on a lot of non-R&B/breakbeat-type stuff, as well. That's him drumming on the theme from THE FLINTSTONES.

I'm someone who loves the funk and the breakbeats, but I also like exploring the sessions that they did, outside of them, I'm not so much breakbeat-centric, I tend to like to find stuff on my own without the influence of it being "the hot beat".

Palmer's written a book, right? Has anyone read it?

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

FOr real the flinstones DaMN! DOpe!

Yeah thats why I didn't snatch the record right there...
    Most studio muscians gotta do it all to get that bread

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I'm someone who loves the funk and the breakbeats, but I also like exploring the sessions that they did, outside of them, I'm not so much breakbeat-centric, I tend to like to find stuff on my own without the influence of it being "the hot beat".

Cosign; I agree. I just thought I'd throw that in, in case anybody thinks that R&B was all Palmer ever did - he's actually a pretty versatile musician who still works sessions and whatnot today.

Palmer's written a book, right? Has anyone read it?

i think it's called BACKBEAT. i remember browsing through it some time back, looked really good.