are you deck enough for richmond?

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts

Deck Accident in SF's Richmond District

Posted June 9, 2005 at 9:05 p.m.

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) -- At least eight people are injured after a deck tilted to the side Thursday evening in San Francisco's Richmond District.

KRON 4's Ross Polombo at San Francisco General Hospital reports at least 20 people were on the deck during a party at a private residence near the intersection of 18th Avenue and Lake.

Witnesses say the deck didn't collapse but tilted to the side. The injured people apparently slipped off the tilted deck,

KRON 4 crews continue to follow this story and will have updates throughout our evening newscasts.

(Copyright 2005, KRON 4. All rights reserved.)

scary.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    definitely not deck enough for richmond

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    whoa, thats crazy. where did you get that? i live in richmond, and while they hit the nail on the head with the whole hipster thing, i have never heard the term "deck."

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Man, that had me feeling a little nostalgic about Richmond. Those were some good times spent in that city.

Hi mesh(cap)

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    well, at least no one died - there was a similar incident in NZ 10 years ago - the Cave Creek tragedy:

In April 1994, Department of Conservation (DOC) workers finished constructing a viewing platform which was built out over a cliff at Cave Creek, in the Paparoa National Park .

The platform was built so that visitors could look down a 40 metre chasm to see the headwaters of Cave Creek come out from an underground cave system.

On 28 April 1995 , a group of students and tutors from the outdoor recreation course at Tai Poutini Polytechnic in Greymouth visited the site as part of a field trip to study the limestone formations and caves in the area.

As the party walked into the bush, it split into two groups. The larger group of 18, including the Punakaiki Field Centre officer, reached the viewing platform first.

At 11.25 am , as the 18 people moved onto the platform, it tipped off its base and fell onto the boulders and rocks of the creek-bed below, taking the victims with it. One student later described how he "rode" the platform down, holding onto the handrail.

The second group reached the point where the platform had been almost immediately. The polytechnic tutor and two students climbed down to the scene of the accident, while the other conservation officer and a student went for help.

They had to run back to the start of the track where the group's vehicles had been left, but the keys were not in them. The DOC officer went back to the scene of the accident with warm clothing from the vans.

The student ran on along the road to the state highway, carrying a note which gave details of the accident location and emphasised the need for rescue helicopters. Finally he reached a house and phoned the Greymouth police. It was now 12.15 pm , almost an hour after the accident.

Ambulances were sent from Greymouth and Westport , while helicopters in Christchurch were alerted. Two hours after the accident a Greymouth police constable made it on foot into the accident site and reported that five of the injured needed to be lifted out as soon as possible.

Using helicopters and stretchers, four of the injured were eventually lifted out. One was suffering from severe spinal injuries. By 5.30 pm 14 bodies had been winched up and flown out by helicopter.

How many died: 14 (13 students and one Department of Conservation field officer)[/b]

Other events and outcomes:

It was later found that the plans for the platform had been designed and approved by people who did not have engineering or design qualifications.

The onsite construction of the platform base had been carried out by a working party of DOC staff members. None of the group working on the platform were qualified builders or engineers.

The platform had been built and then flown in to Cave Creek by helicopter to be put in place, but the plans for the installation of the platform were not taken to the site, and so were not followed.

The bolts, which were supposed to tie the platform to the steps, were taken to

the site, but no drill, so nails were used instead.

When the steps to the platform were poured some time later, they were not secured properly to the platform. This concrete was supposed to act as a counter-weight for the platform to help hold it in place.

Steel, which was supposed to tie the platform to the counterweight had disappeared, and no other steel was ordered or used.

A commission of inquiry found that the Department of Conservation had acted illegally and negligently in constructing the platform, and that there had been a series of mistakes that together had led to the collapse of the Cave Creek platform.

It also pointed out that the Department had not been given enough resources to do its job properly. Because of this, projects were carried out on limited budgets, "making do".

Compensation of $2.6 million was paid out to the victims' families.

The project had not met the requirements of the Building Act, which was being extended to cover government departments at the time the platform was being planned and built. There was no building consent for the platform. Signs stating the maximum number of people to go on the platform at a time had not been put in place.

There were no prosecutions as a result of the deaths, but DOC's West Coast regional conservator resigned after the commission of inquiry report came out.

The Minister of Conservation, Denis Marshall, later resigned in May 1996.

In the three months following the tragedy, 15 of DOC's 106 viewing platforms throughout New Zealand , were closed for repairs.

RIP

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I've been to the richmond, don't remember why. I pretty much lurked around my block on 24th & Shotwell. Most people thought I was crazy for that. I won't say any shotwell puns but they would apply.

As far as hipsters tippin' on decks, I'll leave that one alone.

Cue "Sittin Sideways" track

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Asprin, you've been on the witty humor tip this evening...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Add this thread to my favorites

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    My brother had that hipster handbook and that shit was hilarity all the way through. "fin" is not cool right? The opposite of "deck"?

On the other end of this thread's coast/spectrum, do any other KRON 4 viewers think Ross Polumbo is ?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i live in richmond
    San Francisco's Richmond District.
    there's also a Richmond, Indiana.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    whoa, thats crazy. where did you get that? i live in richmond, and while they hit the nail on the head with the whole hipster thing, i have never heard the term "deck."

My wife showed it to me yesterday. Some of her coworkers go to that conference every year. It was shown at the end of this years conference then posted on their website.

Asprin, you've been on the witty humor tip this evening...

It must have been the beer talking

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    alright, i still dont understand the deck thing, but maybe cuz i didnt watch the video all the way through.
    and i live in my own little world.

hi asprin!

and how did mord get the special "in it for the chicks" title? i mean, i knew you were a playa, but i didnt know it was like that!

You can now pay to get a special tag under your name...

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    ahhhhhhh.

no thanks, i already got a vanity plate on my car, i dont need to have one on a message board.

you guys sold all them records yet?

ha, we're working it. One other thing, for $10, someone else can buy you a special name while remaining annonymous. See the Guzzo thread that's blowing up for results.

t

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    actually, just saw that. this might get out fo hand...

the only thing getting out of hand will be Raj's paypal acct.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    the only thing getting out of hand will be Raj's paypal acct.

i think a portion of the proceeds should go towards new graemlins.

ready?.... D