mp3 encoding copyrighted?

twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Maybe I need a late pass on this one, but all of a sudden (within the last half hour) all of my audio programs stopped encoding mp3s, stating I need to aquire a licence because the mp3 format is copyrighted. What gives? Are there any encoders that work around this?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I use a combination of LAME (encoder) and RazorLAME (GUI for LAME) to encode into MP3. Both are free, but you would have to encode the files outside of whatever audio app you are using. I highly recommend the LAME encoder, by the way. Most audio apps charge for an MP3 encoding plug-in, in case you were wondering.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I use a combination of LAME (encoder) and RazorLAME (GUI for LAME) to encode into MP3. Both are free, but you would have to encode the files outside of whatever audio app you are using. I highly recommend the LAME encoder, by the way. Most audio apps charge for an MP3 encoding plug-in, in case you were wondering.

Thanks for the advice. I just downloaded LAME and Audacity, so hopefully that will take care of it. It's weird though, I've been using both Acid and dBpowerAMP for years and only now are they telling me I need to pay to encode mp3s.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    If you have .wav and .aiff files you need to covert to MP3... I-tunes is another great one. It's for both PC and Mac.

t

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Like others have said, LAME works, especially when you want to do a block of WAV files at once, opposed to doing it through Cool Edit one by one.

• Thanks for the advice. I just downloaded LAME and Audacity, so hopefully that will take care of it. It's weird though, I've been using both Acid and dBpowerAMP for years and only now are they telling me I need to pay to encode mp3s.

If you download the LAME encoding plugin for dBpowerAmp and the lame_enc.dll you can get around the mp3 copyright restriction that kicks in on recent versions of dBpowerAmp.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Thanks for the advice. I just downloaded LAME and Audacity, so hopefully that will take care of it. It's weird though, I've been using both Acid and dBpowerAMP for years and only now are they telling me I need to pay to encode mp3s.

If you download the LAME encoding plugin for dBpowerAmp and the lame_enc.dll you can get around the mp3 copyright restriction that kicks in on recent versions of dBpowerAmp.

I'll try that, thanks!

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I can't remember exactly what's up, but the codec that acid uses is the frauhauf (sp?) mp3 codec, which isn't free. The version that comes with acid (at least with 4) expires after a while if you don't register. This codec is available around the interweb hax0r communities, and so are others that will hopefully help you render in acid again. Sorry I can't be more help.