san diego funk soul nights

Scratch_n_SniffScratch_n_Sniff 353 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I'm in san diego till tuesday. I'd appreciate if anyone knows the night spots I should check out with my girl and her cousin. Funk soul or good hip hop nights are what I'm looking for, but I'm open to anything. Thanks.-Amos

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ::paging trouser lopez, dstill, and steve the record dealer::

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I'll speak on behalf of dstill since I think he's still at work. He's playing tomorrow night at Live Wire (El Cajon Blvd and Florida in North Park), it's a monthly called "Unfadeable"
    He runs through about every genre imaginagable, and has been rockin the dildo with much success lately. It's a good night to roll through and has a pretty lively crowd from about 11:30pm til close.
    I'll be the guy drinking whiskey and throwing things at him.

If you're lookin to go out tonight and don't have a problem with huge clubs and the striped-shirt-throwin-money-around-to-impress-chicks crowd, head down to the Gaslamp district and hit up Aubergine (4th and Island?)-- Chris Cutz and Freddy Fresh are masters at makin the room move to the latest radio stuff and some hip hop classics, but expect to fork over for cover and drinks and probably a line for everything.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Thanks for the shout from Jim, you should definitely roll through. If you're looking for funk/soul stuff, I'll mostly be spinning that early in the evening (I get started a little after 10:00). This is Sat (tomorrow) and the bar's at the corner of El Cajon and Alabama (get the mapquest on or holler for directions).

As for tonight, I'm going to swing by a night called Soul Shakedown @ a place called South Park Bar & Grill. The night's kind of new, so I don't know if it'll be too crackin' but it should be fun.

After that I'm headed to Kava Lounge to see DJ House Shoes from Detroit RIP through a gang of Dilla samples for the Rough Draft listening party. Always fun.

Then I'm going to see Big Business @ the Casbah, who aren't funk, soul or hip-hop related.

Have fun in SD, hope I catch you.

• I'll speak on behalf of dstill since I think he's still at work. He's playing tomorrow night at Live Wire (El Cajon Blvd and Florida in North Park), it's a monthly called "Unfadeable"
    He runs through about every genre imaginagable, and has been rockin the dildo with much success lately. It's a good night to roll through and has a pretty lively crowd from about 11:30pm til close.
    I'll be the guy drinking whiskey and throwing things at him.

I'll be the guy throwing things at JimBeam!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Scratch n Sniff- Bring things to throw, (obv.)

• cascas 1,484 Posts

you going to live wire tonight?

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

Who would be caught anywhere else? (I'll bring those videos you let me like a year ago...)

• I'll be the guy throwing things at JimBeam!

I'll give you a holler.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'll be the guy throwing up Jim Beam!