Homemade ringtones?

twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone here doing this? I just learned how and now I've got Sweet Charles as my ringtone.

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    ok. i got an old nokia candybar phone from like 3 years ago. its really outdated, but it took me an hour and a half to program a single tone hook of T.R.O.Y. into it so i keep it around.

i am so sick of that loop now.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Nah, I don't fuck with the programing shit. I just record a snippet of music to low grade mp3, put it on my website, link to it from my WAP site and download it from my phone. I think you need to be able to play hi-fi tones to do it, though.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I just bluetooth mp3's to my phone from my computer.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

That sounds way easier. I think I have bluetooth... how do you do it?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I programed my old phone to play Weeded by Lootpack. (of course that's a library sample). Took a while but at least it made me laugh when the phone rang.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

That sounds way easier. I think I have bluetooth... how do you do it?

you need to get a bluetooth usb dongle, they're like $20 at any computer store. Unless your computer has built in bluetooth, then you don't need it.

If you're on a mac you use Bluetooth File Exchange which is an app that's built into osx and just search for the phone and then choose which file to send.

I usually use a stereo editing program to make the mp3's smaller like just the first 15 seconds or whatever and resave them and send that file.

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    what features specifically does a phone need to play a homemade tone? is it the ability to play a polyphonic tone? my friend's posted an article about it (sasha frere jones article about the subject also within),

Ringtone Business?

and i downloaded the software, but my phone was not supported..so that was rather pointless. any ideas?

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I got an LG vx6000 and bought a cable for it to link up to my computer and put mp3 format ringtones on my phone. The place to see what your phone can do is www.howardforums.com There are a bunch of forums specific to phone companies and phone providers. You can run some searches and probably find something there.

Current ringtone: Mohawks - The Champ