Book Strut

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I'm reading this book, off Faux Real's say soIt's great.Also, this is one of those books that I'll but 2 or 3 copies a year because I always end up giving my copies to friends of mine when I hear they have never read it.Highly recommended.I'm interested in getting some more books for the crib. I just copped some joints that I slept on picking up (the Jeff Chang book, the Ego Trip Book of Racism, the Freddie Fresh book.)Anyone got any other things to attract my attention?

Comments

• There is a book similar to Hitmen that is a timeline written about Warner Brothers and all its acquisitions from the early days to now that is pretty good called Exploding by Stan Cornyn.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i just picked up this over the weekend, haven't cracked it open yet.

talk about Soul Strut Econ fodder for days:

here's the NYT review:
    review[/b]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This is a pretty informative piece of nonfiction I just finished, about the life of the woman who came to be known as the Venus Hottentot:

And I think this novel about the Biafran war is the best work of fiction I've read in at least two years:

Here's a book of photos--of the South Bronx in the late seventies--that I've been into lately:

• I just started Wizard of the Crow by Kenyan author-in-exile Ngugi wa Thiong'o and it's already incredible. Pretty intimidating at over 700 pages but it's an incredible satire of post-colonial African governments. Also, when one of the greatest living African writers comes out with his first book in many years, you kind of have to read it.

Before that I read Warlock by Oakley Hall because I had a strong desire to read a good Western novel. I was kind of taken aback by how good it was, probably some of the best realist fiction I've ever read.

I got this as a gift and now I'm completely lost every time I go to the supermarket. It's a great piece of journalism on the state of American food production. Highly recommended.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This all looks good but maybe I should have stated that I'm looking for music related books.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'm on the verge of turning in my late pass for Soulsville U.S.A., the definitive book about the story of Stax records and the Memphis sound. It is amazingly thorough, and reveals a lot about how the music business worked throughout the 60s and 70s.

Finished David Toop's Rap Attack a few weeks back, and having read more current hip-hop books before his, I think it still stands the test of time pretty well. By far the most interesting part is finding out how all the shady label heads who released early hip-hop records got involved, and how the "how do we put hip-hop on a record?" question was answered and changed over time.

That Sam Cooke book looks awesome, I'll have to check it out.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    This all looks good but maybe I should have stated that I'm looking for music related books.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

This is the last book that I read. Excellent, I mean EXCELLENT book about segregation and its effects upon African Americans.

I'm trying to catch up on a bunch of Iraq stuff right now plus I have to finish the last Wax Poetics, but next time I pick up a book it'll probably be this one:

It's an analysis of how various European ethnic groups who were villified when they first entered America, eventually became white.