MPC Users/Track Muting

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
sorry for the technical questions lately. i recently bought Pro Tools and have run into a slew of problems. you guys were able to help yesterday so i figured id try againi am using a 2000XL midi synced with an mBox that runs version LE7 of Pro Tools.i dont have an 8-out on my MPC so i record tracks one at a timefor instance, lets say i mute everything but the drum track....i am finethen i mute everything but the basslines...i am fineby the time i get to the 3rd and 4th tracks...for an example lets say i have a piano and a vocal sample...i mute everything but the vocal sample and recordfor some reason the piano plays tooi re-sequence everything and create a new song....even going as far as deleting the piano trackBUT IT STILL PLAYS!!!i DONT have 2 samples per tracks...so that isnt the problemi will even make a new sequence with JUST THE PIANO so as to not have a problem and it doesnt play??!!it is extremely annoying and i am in the dark. i have never had this problem before but then again i just got Pro Tools. i would love to say it is a problem with that but i cant see how.any advice?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    try the same thing with another program and post what happens

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    also, kinda off topic, but you should print a bar of clicks at the top each track for safe measure. midi invariably has a few brainfarts here and there. aligning the clicks at the top will let you compensate for timing issues if they arise.

fyi: grid mode should be your best friend

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i dont have another program. i run my MPC straight through Pro Tools. nothing else. the playing of muted tracks or non-playing of unmuted tracks is killing me. its got a demon or something!!

• it has happened to me before..copy the entire sequence to a new sequence and see if that helps.

it has happened to me before..copy the entire sequence to a new sequence and see if that helps.

i do that

and it continues with the problems

i can play the sequence and hear the samples and then it wont play during recording

or it wont play in the sequence if i have it muted but then when i record it will play

i am forced to just play the sample and cut and paste it and shit

the whole reason i got it synced to midi is so i dont have to do such a thing

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i dont have another program. i run my MPC straight through Pro Tools. nothing else. the playing of muted tracks or non-playing of unmuted tracks is killing me. its got a demon or something!!
    i meant another mpc program

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Did you recreate the program from scratch, cause it could be one of the samples is triggering the piano through the simultaneous mode...

Did you recreate the program from scratch, cause it could be one of the samples is triggering the piano through the simultaneous mode...

i made a sequence again totally from scratch. not the whole entire beat. how do i shut off and stop this sample from triggering.

this has happened atleast once on each beat. and i am very careful and dont do much when actual making them.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I have no idea why that is happenning, but there's an easy way to get around it. I don't have the 8 outs either and i dump one track at a time, but I haven't had any problems.

Make sure you do the following:

- Check the tempo of the mpc and then click back to the very first bar of your pro tools session and enter the tempo change so that the tempos are locked.
    - Set the mpc to send midi time code
    - make a 2 bar empty sequence to start your song mode (just a blank sequence in the same tempo as the rest of the song) Midi will click if there is audio on the 1. Just add two bars of blank space for good measure.

When you record the tracks in they should fall in place. I've noticed that when I check things in grid mode they are usually slightly early, but it's easy to fix this. Just trim the track in slip mode and then lock it on the 1 in grid mode. If you've got everything recorded and the tempos match you could just go ahead and record the piano part once. You can put it whenever you want. Instead of trying to lock in with the rest of the beat, just dump that part independently without midi. If you have already set the tempo you can just trim the piano part and drop it in where it's supposed to be in grid mode.

The easiest way to do it would be to mute (not in the track mute, but in the mixer on the mpc) the piano. If it still plays then you'll know that you accidentally set one of the pads to play simultainiously or you have that same sample on another pad.

Or you could do this. Make sure your beat is saved completley on your hard device (flash, zip, floppy) so that you won't lose anything. After it's saved completely, drop everything into pro tools. If that piano keeps playing when it's not supposed to, just delete it. If you've got it saved on your floppy, no worries. When you need to drop it in, just reload the beat, or just that sample. You could load only that sample and the sequences and that would be the only thing that plays.

So, either:

-punch it in in grid mode
    -mute (mixer) the piano in the mpc
    -delete the piano and reload later.

MPC music is made up of two parts, the sequence, which says play this pad at this time for this long, etc. And the program, which says this sound is attached to this pad, with these properties, etc. You should try making a new program in program mode, by clicking open window on the name of the prog, creating new, and reassigning sounds....

So, either:

-mute (mixer) the piano in the mpc
    -delete the piano and reload later.

REAL. TALK.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Dude, just solo each track. its way easier.