did anyone catch Matmos with Marshall Allan

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
They played at the Museum of Natural History in LA last Friday and the show was It was a crazy to be in a huge room with taxidermy animals with some bugged out music. Did anyone else go?

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Did he break out the EVI (electronic valve instrument)? He's used it at every Arkestra show I've seen in the past few years ... amazing to see an 80 year old man rock out with that thing. I imagine that sound would mix well with Matmos. Marshall is a friend of a friend, so I've had the privelege to meet him and the rest of the Arkestra on several occasions. They are all the most humble, wonderful and talented people and I fully recommend anyone seeing them at any opportunity.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    post up a bootleg or your soft.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    post up a bootleg or your soft.

Alas ... I am not my friend so I'm "soft" for the moment. I could offer up something in the next week or so. The guy has broadcast the only weekly Sun Ra radio segment in the country for the past 15 years or so (Richard Segan, whus.org). The collection runs deep (the hand drawn LP covers are standouts). Any requests? June Tyson stuff? John Gilmore? Wacked outside stuff? A particular decade?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I wish I had a bootleg... but I would have been too stoned to work the recorder. Yes he did bust out the Electronic Valve Thingie. It was ridiculously amazing when they dubed it out. I had to ask a friend what the hell it was, he said he used it when the Arkestra played that free show in Central Park (New York)....which I still kick myself in the ass for not going to (spent quality time with the lady in the city=equally amazing).

At the Marshall/Matmos show, there was so much going on but they kept it spare which was nice. Some dude manipulating a turntable/playing echoed out kora, a guitar player, both Matmos dudes and Marshall going from mellow and souly to free and fiery. Quite a good combo of 4 talented musicians.