the Freddy Fresh rap record book

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Found an unused Late Pass in the inside pocket of a tweed blazer anddecided to cash it in and finally get this book. EXCELLENT FUN BOOK.A few questions/ideas:--Anyone know if an updated edition is planned for corrections/omissions? --How about a Vol. 2 for 90s records? (It's kind of funny how the wholebook is 80s records except for the records Freddy was personally involved with making.)--So if a rap record is not listed in the book, does that mean it isan uber-raer whose omission becomes a new selling point?--...or does it mean that the music on the record is so inept thatit barely qualifies as rap, and should rather be filed in theEthnic Folkways section?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I bought mine at Dusty Groove for like $9 last year. Awesome fun! Helped me out tremendously with Philly rap raer. Now I need one that covers 92 -96.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Agreed - got mine a couple of years ago and it is an excellent resource. Especially for those such as myself who are restricted from speaking on hiphop.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

--Anyone know if an updated edition is planned for corrections/omissions?

Freddy's website has a pdf supplement--he has no plans to release a full updated version, though; apparently he lost money the last go-round.

Someone that posts here is at work on a more thorough (and typo-free) discography that covers the old school period, that should be available before too much longer.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    --Anyone know if an updated edition is planned for corrections/omissions?
    Freddy has an omissions pdf on his site, though it's still far from complete. (although that's pretty much an unattainable goal, i think).

As I understand it, there are no plans for a second run of the book.

dammit faux.

• Thanks for the heads up about that .pdf file, I had been to his site
    but had somehow missed that.

Found one there that sounds...interesting:

BROFEEL RECORDS
    Exotic Rappers ??? Nissan is the Way

A good creative writing assignment would be to give each of us only the
    above label/artist/song title and we have to go off and write a one-sheet
    describing the look, sound and background of the group.

Looking at the .pdf file, looks like some of the corrections need corrections

Still, a great resource.

I am thinking that a volume on 1990s rapp records would necessarily be
    twice as thick - more people putting out more records, nationwide.
    Whereas back in the early-mid 80s, rapp records out of small or regional
    non-NY scenes were almost a novelty. By the mid-90s every medium size
    city and college town had a scene putting out records.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I am thinking that a volume on 1990s rapp records would be impossible.

• Found one there that sounds...interesting:

BROFEEL RECORDS

Haha, not creative writing, but I've actually had/have that record. I remember it being a Los Angeles record about the Nissan truck craze, you know, Crenshaw Blvd cruising style. Damn, I need to find that record

You sound like a little dude.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

You sound like a little dude.

How about a discography of every indie hip hop record released from 1998 - 2007.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

How about a discography of every indie hip hop record released from 1998 - 2007.

Just archive every hip hop post made by a European on Soul Strut!

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    This is a projekt from some dudes I know.

Check it out:

Raphistory.net

Peace
    Hawkeye

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I forgot this book existed. Thanks for reminding me!

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Seems like discogs.com could be the the IMDB of 12" singles if they keep growing.

• Found one there that sounds...interesting:

BROFEEL RECORDS

Haha, not creative writing, but I've actually had/have that record. I remember it being a Los Angeles record about the Nissan truck craze, you know, Crenshaw Blvd cruising style. Damn, I need to find that record

Aw yeah, this was a good little record-relatted moment.

Okay, so I want to try this again, see who know what records.
    This is what make Soulstrut a valuable site, because it is a pool
    of rapp informations.

BEEF-relatted:

Freddy Fresh book does not seem to have listed the original
    Wendy's sponsored:

AWESOME RECORDS
    Coyote McCloud "Where's The Beef?"[/b]

which samples Clara Peller, the old lady from the commercials.

However, in the rapp records book we do find:

SAGITARIUS RECORDS
    Eddie B & Oscar T - "Where's The Beef?" 1984[/b]

with a note saying (see 4-Sight)

Looking at the 4-SIGHT label from Florida for 1984 records we find:

MC Chief (Sexy Lady) - "Beef Box" 1984[/b]

same song pressed again as

Ervin German w/ Sexy Lady - "Beef Box" 1984[/b]

Question: is "Beef Box" a "where's the beef"-relatted song or what.

okay one more:

CLARENCE MUIC RECORDS (New York Peter Brown) [supposed to be MUSIC]

Lee Love - "Feel My Beef" 1984[/b]

Feel My Beef[/b]

Plaese to tell if these are the real where's the beef records and
    what where's the beef records I missed, as this was possibly in the
    erra before "BEEF" came to be known in rapp as "conflict".

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Clara Peller

Columbus, Ohio celebrity, carried out her groceries several times.

Ervin German w/ Sexy Lady - "Beef Box" 1984[/b]

Not a problem "beef" record, but indeed a beefy electro record.

• AWESOME RECORDS

Oh shit! Coyote McCloud is a former morning show DJ from Y107 in Nashville TN. I definitely listened to him and the fucking Zoo Crew on the way into school for a greater part of my childhood.

• AWESOME RECORDS

Oh shit! Coyote McCloud is a former morning show DJ from Y107 in Nashville TN. I definitely listened to him and the fucking Zoo Crew on the way into school for a greater part of my childhood.

I should interject here, as a public service, to tell you all that
    this is a terrible, terrible record. It should be purchased with
    picture sleeve for the purpose of showing off as novelty icebreaker
    at key parties, but in no circumstances shall the record actually
    be played. (Do not play record).

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    I should interject here, as a public service, to tell you all that
    this is a terrible, terrible record. It should be purchased with
    picture sleeve for the purpose of showing off as novelty icebreaker
    at key parties, but in no circumstances shall the record actually
    be played. (Do not play record).

DOG POLICE[/b]

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Clara Peller

Columbus, Ohio celebrity, "carried out her groceries" several times, nahmeen?

Trill! Did you "swipe her Golden Buckeye card," too?

On a related note: Didn't those Burger King jernts beget "herb"'s synonymity with "nerd"?

novelty icebreaker at key parties

Please to identify other rapp titles within this most functional of subgenres.

• Has anybody heard this one:

I am totally sold just on the spelling alone. Rather than needing correction,
    it needs a place in my correction.

Qrush![/b]

Guessing that this sounds like it looks - amateur party style drum machine rapp.

On second thought...maybe electro?

The group is called CENTRIPETAL FORCE, which is a great name for something
    printed on a record.

Freddy awards it two asterisks **, meaning the record is fly, currently
    getting scarce, but was still available to random dudes in the field in
    the late 20th century.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    novelty icebreaker at key parties

Please to identify other rapp titles within this most functional of subgenres.

I recommend any number of the quality endeavors based on that bellowing "I've fallen! And I can't get up!" broad. The exact titles--and they are legion--escape me, but I know one in particular has a picture cover (so necessary for the novelty icebreaker; I'd argue that any record of this kind that you actually have to play is, effectively, a failure) featuring a cartoon of a tumbled old lady with a busted walker sitting on top of a record, with the requisite halo of cuckoo birds circling her aching head. Owing to the period, most of them are (un)hip-house in comportment, but I think your boy Lugzmaster Flex may have touched it, too, several (too many?) years after the cultural fact.

• On a related note: Didn't those Burger King jernts beget "herb"'s synonymity with "nerd"?

HOLLY SCHITT, I haven't thought about that Herb in awhile.
    As far as I know, Herb didn't inspire any whole songs. Just individual
    lines in songs (care to quote any?). You pronounce the "H".

For the chirren, who be not knowing:

Herb the Nerd[/b] - In 1985, the Burger King Corporation launched a 40 million dollar campaign featuring "Herb" the only man in America who hadn't tasted the goodness of their hamburger products. Herb was never seen in the early commercials but the awe and astonishment over the fact that Herb hadn't tasted a Burger King burger was the focus of the campaign.

Mock testimonials from family members and friends were edited into the commercial telling how different Herb was from other people and imploring him to eat at Burger King.

Finally, Herb was revealed to the public. He was played by John Merrick, a classically trained 35-year-old actor who donned glasses, white socks, and pants that didn't quite reach his ankles. Herb's nerdish persona was hawked in all sorts of advertising gimmickry including tee-shirts which read "I dated Herb."

NBC's SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE lampooned the campaign by holding a mock press conference with Herb and his lawyer pleading with the American public to let the man be and give him back his anonymity.

John Merrick made personal appearances at Burger King restaurants nationwide, giving prizes to anyone who first recognized him when he entered the burger joints.

One year later, Herb and his popularity fizzled (or as one reporter put it "the Herb campaign wilted like week-old lettuce." Before totally fading away from the public eye, Herb appeared in a "Wrestlemania 2" video in 1986.

The Herb the Nerd ad campaign was created by the J. Walter Thompson Co. ad agency and became one of the decade's biggest failures.

• WE leave for Bogota Colombia in a few days and we want to SEND YOU YOUR RECORDS BEFORE WE GO!!!!!

Also note that this auction is BEGINNING AGAIN on MARCH 21st
    with hell rare RAP/ELECTRO/CHICAGO/ DISCO House obscure RARE and Test Pressings, One-Offs, Bootlegs, Mastermixes.. up to rarae techno we will be SELLING..
    You will find stuff in this FREDDY FRESH auction that existe NO PLACE ELSE in the world so stay tuned

we appreciate your bids and if you won a free book as well
    Congratulations..
    Dont COMPLAIN Now if you fail to get this money to us before we go.. as we ARE WARNING EVERYONE NOW

Thanks again

FREDDY FRESH MUSIC LLC

freddy seems to be selling pretty much every record that he owns as 'rapknowledge' on ebay. his auctions are cool as he switches from first to third person in the desciption and also talks major caca on the "bling" era, which we are currently living through. if you buy something, send an email comparing his book to the holy bible and you will get autographed mastermix extra wax with your order. his packaging is a large mass of various types of tape rolled together with your record in the center. i see now he has formed a limited liability corp so nobody's really fucking with him on that front either.

• freddy seems to be selling pretty much every record that he owns as 'rapknowledge' on ebay. his auctions are cool as he switches from first to third person in the desciption

Yeah, check out this one ended yestarday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Rap-Old-School-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Gotta love the RANDOM RAP in rainbow colors.

"Doesn't get any more random than this..."

As far as hatting on the "bling era", Freddy is an OLD DUDE, and obviously
    gets a pass for his multitudinous contributions to the culture. I wouldn't
    try to convince him to like B.G. any more than I would have tried to convince
    my Tommy Dorsey-loving grandfather to like Albert Ayler, or Miles' "Rated X".

• I better slow the fuck down, I got like 8 more posts than james now.