liquidating your collection

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
so it's about that time.. the collection is about to be gutted. only thing is i'm having trouble decided what stays and what goes. i know a few of you have liquidated in the past, how did you get the ball rolling?

Comments

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    tell me what you got and I can help you real quick!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'm gearing up to liquidate multiple hundreds of $3 jazz LPs via set sale.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    so it's about that time.. the collection is about to be gutted. only thing is i'm having trouble decided what stays and what goes.

i know a few of you have liquidated in the past, how did you get the ball rolling?

I had some success in doing a sidewalk sale to clear through some stuff off the top. Advertising for that ended up netting me two private buyers who ended up picking up about a crate of records each on top of that. Alas, out of the 400 or so LPs I was selling, I was still left with around 150. I still haven't figured out what to do with 'em though.

Set sales sounds like a good move if you're already eBaying shit off.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    so it's about that time.. the collection is about to be gutted. only thing is i'm having trouble decided what stays and what goes.

WE CAN HELP YOU

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I tried having a sidewalk sale for about 200 LPs that weren't really eBay stuff but not junk, but I only had a couple folks show up. Probably only works if you live somewhere very urban. I ended up taking stuff down to the local store, where they proceeded to buy all the shitty records and not even make offers on anything of any remote value. Worked out well. Still don't really know what to do with the leftovers though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i know a few of you have liquidated in the past, how did you get the ball rolling?

Get rid of the ones you're hanging onto for some reason other than that you enjoy listening to them... reasons like "But I have all his other LPS from '68 to '73" or "But my man so-and-so played on this one" or "But I have almost the entire output of this label" or "Even though I can't hear anything good on this record, I understand it to be historically important".

Basically, trust your taste.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Get rid of the ones you're hanging onto for some reason other than that you enjoy listening to them... reasons like "But I have all his other LPS from '68 to '73" or "But my man so-and-so played on this one" or "But I have almost the entire output of this label" or "Even though I can't hear anything good on this record, I understand it to be historically important".

seriously. these are the things that always go through my head. those, and,"Premo has a two second sample on side one. but its the only two good seconds on the record" or the ol' "I may sample something off this someday"

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

WE CAN HELP YOU

THE LATIN STAYS

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

WE CAN HELP YOU

THE LATIN STAYS

JAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Basically, trust your taste.

every crate is chock full of 'those' pieces. braeks, prestige jazz funk pfft, eddie harris on atlantic etc...

but taste, that's a good question. funk raer will likely stay, as will the classic stuff (isleys, rick james, al green, et al) rock is a toss up, same goes w/ spritual/cosmic jazz/quality jazz funk

braeks

This is the place to start.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

every crate is chock full of 'those' pieces. braeks, prestige jazz funk pfft, eddie harris on atlantic etc...

= SELL

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    I tried having a sidewalk sale for about 200 LPs that weren't really eBay stuff but not junk, but I only had a couple folks show up. Probably only works if you live somewhere very urban. I ended up taking stuff down to the local store, where they proceeded to buy all the shitty records and not even make offers on anything of any remote value. Worked out well. Still don't really know what to do with the leftovers though.

same thing happened. i went to a store in denver to sell stuff that i had no intention of ebaying and stuff that was still decent music and they examined the record made two piles the shitty ones and the good ones quality and condition alike. and they bought the shit pile. i was flabbergasted.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Suddenly Cali stores and Swaps are sounding like a blessing.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

= SELL

Hey hey now, the Prestige stuff isn't bad!

= SELL

Your crates obviously require thinning.

This schitt was literally the inspiration for the phrase "tepid funk".

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Suddenly Cali stores and Swaps are sounding like a blessing.

To reiterate what's been said before for those who don't know, Amoeba will still try to rip you and just make meaningless piles when in reality they're buying everything for a dollar or less. It's all about selling to that store where you find great records for cheap and bad records overpriced, because it shows their buyer is a nut.

On the whole, the less intelligent the buyer/seller, the more money to be made. Sad but true.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    To reiterate what's been said before for those who don't know, Amoeba will still try to rip you

Amoeba is probably the worst place to sell records that I've ever been to. I will only take records there that are one step away from the dump.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

= SELL

Hey now. I know Prestige is no Pablo!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Hey now. I know Prestige is no Pablo!

Look, man - keep the word "Pablo" out of your snackhole!

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

= SELL

I probably have 30+ records on Prestige. They are goin nowhere! Funk Inc and Gary Bartz to end you beezies.

• To reiterate what's been said before for those who don't know, Amoeba will still try to rip you

Amoeba is probably the worst place to sell records that I've ever been to. I will only take records there that are one step away from the dump.

Cosign (do we still cosign around here or is that hopelessly passe'?) I haven't sold a record to them in four years of living in the Bay Area. Buying from them, hmmm, that's a different story altogether.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

= SELL

If you were "about schitt" you would care for Funk Inc.

= SELL

That schitt is real tepid; I rid myself of the self-titled joint just last year.

= SELL

That schitt is real tepid; I rid myself of the self-titled joint just last year.

I forgot you are an album man. s/t and Chicken Lickin are one trackers but those tracks rule IMO.

b/w

BAN

= SELL

I probably have 30+ records on Prestige. They are goin nowhere! Funk Inc and Gary Bartz to end you beezies.

Lots of great records on Prestige... but none of them are by Melvin Sparks, Charles Earland, Funk, Inc., etc.

b/w

BAN

^^^^^BAN

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Start selling shit and see if you lose sleep over not having Monty Alexander - Rass! sitting on your shelf.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

= SELL

Lots of great records on Prestige... but none of them are by Melvin Sparks, Charles Earland[/b] , Funk, Inc., etc.

Not even Leaving This Planet?