Records I didn't buy this week

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Passed on some Jim Jones People's Temple sealed choir shit. 30 bucks, fuck that!George Clinton Band on ABC from 1974. 15 bucks and no listening station. Dan from JumpJump couldn't vouch for this record. Thinking this might have been a fuck up but that would be nothing unusual for me. What's up with this record?Several Hank Williams Sr 7in EPs with covers. These look so cool but what would you do with them once you got em home. Plus they cost $20-40. Tarheel Slim and Lil Annie 45 on Port unplayed store stock $6. When I saw this I thought I was in for a treat. Turns out it was a turd. Probably another fuck up based on gemm pricing. Oh well.A couple of folkways indian field recordings. The sound is really bad on this stuff. AP, I don't get it.Dramatics Whatcha See... I have the songs I like already on CD. So it seemed silly to pick up the LP. non-baller status confirmed.well that's it for this week, back with more soon.

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The George Clinton is not by THE George Clinton. Think he was a white Rock guy. Don't be fooled.

The Dramatics - Whatcha See is one of my all time favorite soul albums.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1189

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The George Clinton is not by THE George Clinton. Think he was a white Rock guy. Don't be fooled.

The Dramatics - Whatcha See is one of my all time favorite soul albums.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1189

Got Damn, I knew it. Dan mentioned there was another guy named George CLinton. I think this may be the first report of an in the field fake find. JLR/Champagne would be so proud of me.

Whatcha See is a great record but like I said I got what I need.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I am STILL not buying that Betty Wright First Time Around
    Atco promo with the big gouge across the first side, cause I gave
    up buying trashed copies of records I want as a NYR. I wish someone
    would buy it, though, so it would stop mocking me in that bin.

$20 for Afro Blues Quintet Plus One? GTFOHWTBS. I don't care
    how clean it is, that shit is $10 or less or no sale. Someone
    will buy it for the hottie on the cover at $20, though. Damn.

I didn't buy that $6 Howard Roberts "Spinning Wheel" dupe that's
    been at Looney Tunes in Harvard for months, cause I can't be motivated
    to invest $6 to make a $10 profit.

I didn't buy any reggae because reggae records DO NOT EXIST IN BOSTON.
    For real, I hit every spot in town multiple times a week, always checking,
    and come up with maybe 5 or 6 raer-ish OG jamaican records a year, at ANY
    price. I gotta go to GRNYC, 4 hours away, to buy my JA wax.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Several Hank Williams Sr 7in EPs with covers. These look so cool but what would you do with them once you got em home.

PLAY THEM.[/b]

(I know that Polydor has milked his catalog the same way they did James Brown and you can get his complete works on a shiny new CD now, but still...)

Plus they cost $20-40.
    That's a good reason to leave it be.

Tarheel Slim and Lil Annie 45 on Port unplayed store stock $6. When I saw this I thought I was in for a treat. Turns out it was a turd.
    I don't know what 45 you found, but this one Tarheel Slim comp I have has an entire side of his Little Ann duets, and all are pure "Fire" for real (I think most of those songs came out on the Bobby Robinson-owned Fire label).

Dramatics Whatcha See... I have the songs I like already on CD. So it seemed silly to pick up the LP. non-baller status confirmed.
    I'm still looking for the original pressing of this album myself, if only to gawk at their flashy '70s pimpwear in the gatefold.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Several Hank Williams Sr 7in EPs with covers. These look so cool but what would you do with them once you got em home.

PLAY THEM.[/b]

(I know that Polydor has milked his catalog the same way they did James Brown and you can get his complete works on a shiny new CD now, but still...)

Plus they cost $20-40.

Tarheel Slim and Lil Annie 45 on Port unplayed store stock $6. When I saw this I thought I was in for a treat. Turns out it was a turd.

I don't know what 45 you found, but this one Tarheel Slim comp I have has an entire side of his Little Ann duets, and all are pure "Fire" for real (I think most of those songs came out on the Bobby Robinson-owned Fire label).

Dramatics Whatcha See... I have the songs I like already on CD. So it seemed silly to pick up the LP. non-baller status confirmed.

I'm still looking for the original pressing of this album myself, if only to gawk at their flashy '70s pimpwear in the gatefold.
    I am not sure if you are aware of this put playing records ruins them. Playing records=

I love the fire sides by TS & LA so I assumed that the Port side was gonna be incredible. No such luck.

• The George Clinton is not by THE George Clinton. Think he was a white Rock guy.

Yeah, white rock dude. Not a bad record for cheap though. The sample for Eric B & Rakim's "Pass The Hand Grenade" is on The George Clinton Band record. Surprised the shit outta me.

SONIC

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I passed on an Alex Harvey interview lp on vertigo. I probably should've picked that up, for profits sake.

PLAY THEM.[/b]

Plus they cost $20-40.
    I am not sure if you are aware of this put playing records ruins them. Playing records=
    I don't care; I am not a record dealer, and I love Hank's music[/b] too much to NOT drop the needle on 'em. These is REKKIDS, bro, not baseball cards.

(Although if I already had the same songs on common compilation albums, maybe then I'd use the EP's only as antique wall decorations, but...)

The George Clinton is not by THE George Clinton. Think he was a white Rock guy.

Yeah, white rock dude. Not a bad record for cheap though. The sample for Eric B & Rakim's "Pass The Hand Grenade" is on The George Clinton Band record. Surprised the shit outta me.

According to Joe McEwen in The Rolling Stone Record Guide (first edition), white George Clinton was a blue-eyed soul artist with "a liquid smooth falsetto, and only some MOR-styled horn arrangements keep it from being a genre classic." Based on that description, I'm surprised some of the Soul Strutters haven't big-upped this a long time ago.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I didnt buy any records this week so far because I was in northhampton and amherst, MA and there aint shit for records there. I ran into Thurston Moore at Mysterytrain Records in Amherst and chatted with him (he is customer at the shop where I work, shangri-la) and asked him if there are any good shops around and he said nothing as good as Shangri-la. He mentioned Estactic Yod, I told him I went there but it was closed and that it seemed it was some hippy-ass we-open-when-we-feel-like-it place...he just laughed and said yeah and then hollered at his friend who was with him who worked at Yod and asked him why they werent open, his friend just seemed embarassed at this fact...sucked, because Yod is known for serious psych/kraut/japanese heat and I wanted to scoop some..dang. As I travel, I am reminded of the "be-thankful-for-what-you have" creedo...between my shop and Goner Records ,Im thinkin' Memphis has two of the best shops in the US.

So far: no,no records in MA.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Ha! I was up there yesterday myself, didn't find nada besides a nice new Pho spot.
    You're from Memphis? MA & CT are going to reeeeeally let you down.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Celebrities that I did not talk about music with this week: Sophia Loren, George Carlin, Tito Puente (RIP) and Don King.

• Several Hank Williams Sr 7in EPs with covers. These look so cool but what would you do with them once you got em home.

PLAY THEM.[/b]

Plus they cost $20-40.

I don't care; I am not a record dealer, and I love Hank's music[/b] too much to NOT drop the needle on 'em. These is REKKIDS, bro, not baseball cards.

(Although if I already had the same songs on common compilation albums, maybe then I'd use the EP's only as antique wall decorations, but...)
    Those Hank tracks where its just him singing and playing guitar is some of the best music Ive ever heard.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

According to Joe McEwen in The Rolling Stone Record Guide (first edition), white George Clinton was a blue-eyed soul artist with "a liquid smooth falsetto, and only some MOR-styled horn arrangements keep it from being a genre classic." Based on that description, I'm surprised some of the Soul Strutters haven't big-upped this a long time ago.

That might be the description, but when I bought that record and listened to it, that was not the sound. It was which is why it is no longer in my collection.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

That might be the description, but when I bought that record and listened to it, that was not the sound. It was which is why it is no longer in my collection.

I see that you were unable to resist the temptation of an unknown P-Funk bomb.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I am STILL not buying that Betty Wright First Time Around
    Atco promo with the big gouge across the first side, cause I gave
    up buying trashed copies of records I want as a NYR.

Excellent resolution--I spent a lot of time/money last year methodically upgrading records that I bought up to a decade ago when I first started doing this.