GROVER WASHINGTON JR. WINELIGHT

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I walked into my local store today and found this beauty lying there NM for 2 dollars. Was this a steal?!

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I walked into my local store today and found this beauty lying there NM for 2 dollars. Was this a steal?!

Nah, I'm sure they got it from an estate auction.

• Every copy I see is rinked to hell.

Steal indeed.

• LOL

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    does thar have the eminem loop
    ????

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Every copy I see is rinked to hell.

Steal indeed.

recognize the realness batch.

does thar have the eminem loop
    ????

shiiiitttttt. it just might.

• Depends. Did you find the gatefold with the bonus 45 of "Just the Two of Us" extended version? Bill Withers calls up his funky buddy Dennis Coffy from Sussex and the three of them reignite "Scorpio" in a smoothed-out Laswellian reconceptualization, Laswell being behind the boards, of course. Thankfully, Elektra had the common sense to press the runout groove in an endless loop, so this uber-raer open break can be sampled like a motherfucker.

Betcha didn't get this one, though.

heres an ill write up from wikipedia

A string of acclaimed records brought Washington through the 1970s, which culminated in the signature piece for everything Washington would do from then on. 1980's Winelight was the album that defined everything Washington was about. The album was smooth, fused with R&B and easy listening feel. Washington's love of basketball, especially the Philadelphia 76ers, led him to dedicate his first track, "Let It Flow" to Julius Erving (Dr. J). The highlight of the album, and a main staple of radio airplay everywhere, was his great collaboration with soul artist Bill Withers, "Just The Two of Us". It was also the final step away from Motown, landing him on Elektra Records and into a new era of jazz excellence. The album went platinum in 1981, and also won Grammy Awards in 1982 for Best R&B Song ("Just The Two of Us"), and Best Jazz Fusion Performance ("Winelight"). "Winelight" was also nominated for Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

lucky.

Depends. Did you find the gatefold with the bonus 45 of "Just the Two of Us" extended version? Bill Withers calls up his funky buddy Dennis Coffy from Sussex and the three of them reignite "Scorpio" in a smoothed-out Laswellian reconceptualization, Laswell being behind the boards, of course. Thankfully, Elektra had the common sense to press the runout groove in an endless loop, so this uber-raer open break can be sampled like a motherfucker.

Betcha didn't get this one, though.

no, but the cover is glossy as fuck and untainted.

• That's the one! You know how you can tell an OG by checking the inner sleeve (yes plaese!)? This one has a simple twist on the concept: Elektra botched the packaging and actually packaged the 45 inside the gloss!

I mean, you'd immediately bring the condition from M to VG+ by razoring out the little known 45, but it's so worth it! It's like Christmas day all over!

That's the one! You know how you can tell an OG by checking the inner sleeve (yes plaese!)? This one has a simple twist on the concept: Elektra botched the packaging and actually packaged the 45 inside the gloss!

I mean, you'd immediately bring the condition from M to VG+ by razoring out the little known 45, but it's so worth it! It's like Christmas day all over!

hahahaha.

okay, who else has questions for me?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Would you trade for hank crawford "canjun sunrise"?
    Keep in mind this is the version with hank crawford taken completely OUT Of the mix.
    Promo only.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I bought 10 crates of this schitt last night, mainly to help my record dealer make some space, every Grover LP, plus early 80s Patti Labelle for days. Will post pics tonight!

Would you trade for hank crawford "canjun sunrise"?
    Keep in mind this is the version with hank crawford taken completely OUT Of the mix.
    Promo only.

I've found that record too, but passed on it after careful scrutiny.

every Grover LP

not Winelight, I bet

Nothing fucks with winelight. Exquisite music.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

anybody have this one? 15 years digging and I've never seen it once.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    i have it

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Am I at Soul Strut dot com?

i have it

i have it

LIAR!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    i have it

you can have it if you want it.

i have it

you can have it if you want it.

CHECK PMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

step to my Soul Box Quad and you get wrecked. i got that Bijou joint too. my gwj stache is unfadeable.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    step to my Soul Box Quad and you get wrecked.

Ha Ha, dude. "My Soul Box quad." Yeah, right.

Everyone should come check out my VU acetate and
    CTI suitcase filled with Mardi Gras bell-less 12" too.

Hey dudes, you guys won't believe this!!! Ever since I bought Winelight my confidence has soared, and I just held hands with a girl for the first time.
    WINELIGHT IS MAGIC.

I tell you, everyone can use some Winelight in their lives.......the whole world can use this long playing disc.

Put down the gun, and pick up Winelight.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

WINELIGHT IS MAGIC.

You are on your way, my friend - next step is
    to take the LP out into the streets with you -
    when you see a girl you think is absolutely
    stunning, approach her, and without saying a
    word, press your copy of Winelight against
    her rear end, hard ... and WITNESS THE POWER OF WINELIGHT!

WINELIGHT IS MAGIC.

You are on your way, my friend - next step is
    to take the LP out into the streets with you -
    when you see a girl you think is absolutely
    stunning, approach her, and without saying a
    word, press your copy of Winelight against
    her rear end, hard ... and WITNESS THE POWER OF WINELIGHT!

No man!!! You don't understand the essence of this muzak. It's not how hard you press, it's how hard you can get her to press you. This is exquisite music.