School me on buying a Rhodes

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
So I've decided that rather than drop mad loot on digital reproductions, I'd rather get the real deal. I've been scouting around ebay to get an idea what's out there, but there seems to be a huge price range depending on the model in question.Can anyone break this down for me? I don't want to drop more than a few hundred if possible. What models should I be looking for? Is there anything I should avoid?Also.. what keys would be a good, more economical substitute for a Rhodes?

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i have found 2 in my life well below "real mkt value" at fleas
    both were suitcases
    120 and one for 50
    both needed rehab to the tune of 2-3hundred
    there are plenty out there
    craigslist,ghetto music stores,school auctions,etc
    just hold out and wait for the right one

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Also.. what keys would be a good, more economical substitute for a Rhodes?

there is no substitute for a rhodes man, we have (6) in our camp, we are rhodes whores, but you can get a fully functional one for 500$ & under if you look hard nuff, ebay prolly not a good look imo but good luck...

Definitely not buying off ebay.. but it gave me an idea of what prices to expect. Any particular models to avoid? Or trouble spots I should look out for that wouldn't be readily apparent?

• Buy mine. 73 stage.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    thanks for all the info..

i'm going to keep hitting up the shops around here and hope something pops up on the cheap.

on a similar note.. anyone know of any other decent analog keys in the 200-300 range?