DJing: skills vs. selection

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
so i've got a buddy back home in b'more who's been getting shit from his dj partners because he doesn't beat match or scratch. they're saying that he's not really djing and shouldn't get a cut of the $$.. so i'm wondering what the collective SS consciousness says about this.. what's more important skills or selection?

Comments

• ultimately selection, but you gotta have some skills to make it interesting. And I think that's pretty weaksauce of your friends to hold out on $$ - if he puts in equal work he should get equal money, regardless of skills.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    if he's playing, he should get his fair cut

he doesn't have to juggle or crab but beatmatching is kind of necessary

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    what's more important skills or selection?

30/70........you can get by w/ simple blends and stuff but you better choose you shit wisely.

There's nothing worse than a scratch-mad DJ w/ bad taste in music. Good selection can camoflague inadequate skills.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Selection all day.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    so i've got a buddy back home in b'more who's been getting shit from his dj partners because he doesn't beat match or scratch. they're saying that he's not really djing and shouldn't get a cut of the $$..

so i'm wondering what the collective SS consciousness says about this..

I mean if he is playing good music and the crowed is enjoying it then whats the problem? If he is trainwrecking mixes and sounding like ass then why would they let him dj with them? I mean I like to hear nice blends at the club, but most people don't give a fuck about that shit as long as the music is good. And too much scratching at the club is

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    dudes sound jealous of his records.
    I find I have to throw in some interesting technical type stuff so its not just people listening to my records.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Selection all day.
    but there's really no reason why you cant get good at SKILLS.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's so much more than just a "skills VS selection" argument but between the 2 selection is much more important.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    this will sound biased but my buddy is on point with selection.

and he rocks blends not beatmatches.

sidenote: part of his partner's gripe is that he didn't help them carry in the speakers last weekend because he was working a double at his restaurant gig. therefore he shouldn't get paid eventhough he put in equal time on the decks.. ???

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Selection all day.

Yes.

but: an endless stream of music where every song goes into the next with the ease of baby food and no dynamics can be just as bad as long, messy gaps between songs.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Selection all day.
    but there's really no reason why you cant get good at SKILLS.

You're not about to cite the 16 most essential elements of hip-hop, are you?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    this will sound biased but my buddy is on point with selection.

sidenote: part of his partner's gripe is that he didn't help them carry in the speakers last weekend because he was working a double at his restaurant gig. therefore he shouldn't get paid eventhough he put in equal time on the decks.. ???

Reading this and the first post as well, I don't think your boy's skills - or lack thereof - are the real problem. His partners sound like dicks.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    His partners sound like dicks.

• this will sound biased but my buddy is on point with selection.

I could see maybe taking off like, $10, but not paying altogether? hell, my GF gives me crap cause I split the $$ evenly with my partners even if they show up late. But i'm just nice like that.

Oh, and plaese to 'splain the difference between 'blend' and 'beatmatch'? Because it's my understanding that in order to blend, one had to beatmatch, no?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    it depends on what they are playing. if its rare grooves, then definitely selection is much more important. but...if they are spinning at some backpacker party, then i'd guess 80% of the crowd are probably djs themselves. in that case, skills are a necessity. if its just party music, it really depends on how sophisticated the crowd is. you go to an irish bar and throw on "come on eileen" and you are an instant star.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Oh, and plaese to 'splain the difference between 'blend' and 'beatmatch'? Because it's my understanding that in order to blend, one had to beatmatch, no?

blend = using the crossfader to 'blend' between tracks
    beatmatching = matching the bpms

at least that's how i learned it.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I treat them as equally important with the combined creative factor of skills in handling the selection, meaning how everything comes together and flows, not necessarily how tech it is.

The way I see myself as a DJ is a dude who has semi deep crates and moderate technical skills, but crafts cohesive sets at a higher quality than most DJs with deeper crates or more technical skills. The end product as a whole is more important to me than both those factors individually.

• Oh, and plaese to 'splain the difference between 'blend' and 'beatmatch'? Because it's my understanding that in order to blend, one had to beatmatch, no?

ahh, I see. I always thought of a blend as the precursor to the current mashup - putting an acapella over an instrumental.

Who was the that mixtape dude from the late 90s who was well known for putting hip hop acapellas over R&B beats? I remember reading an interview with him in URB or something...

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    I treat them as equally important with the combined creative factor of skills in handling the selection, meaning how everything comes together and flows, not necessarily how tech it is.

The way I see myself as a DJ is a dude who has semi deep crates and moderate technical skills, but crafts cohesive sets at a higher quality than most DJs with deeper crates or more technical skills. The end product as a whole is more important to me than both those factors individually.

very well put.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    so i've got a buddy back home in b'more who's been getting shit from his dj partners because he doesn't beat match or scratch. they're saying that he's not really djing and shouldn't get a cut of the $$..

so i'm wondering what the collective SS consciousness says about this..

Selection first, then skills. If you're playing club music, whether it's B-More, hip-hop, house, r&b or whatever, then I'd say they're equally important. A serious club crowd will expect (and be entitled to expect) a DJ to at least have the basics down. If your selections get the crowd open, they're less likely to notice if your technique isn't super flashy.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    selection all day. But skills and selection is what gets you to the

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Who was the that mixtape dude from the late 90s who was well known for putting hip hop acapellas over R&B beats? I remember reading an interview with him in URB or something...

Ron muthafuckin' G

ahh, I see. I always thought of a blend as the precursor to the current mashup - putting an acapella over an instrumental.

Late 80's/early 90's, maybe? That'd be Ron G or Kid Capri, depending on who you ask I suppose. I always understood those guys to be the DJs who first did that on the mixtapes.

• One of my favorite local DJ nights involves zero beatmatching and zero mixing. It's just guys with great funk and soul 45s spinning one after another. The dancefloor stays packed all night and I have a lot of respect for the guys who organize and play at the night. They don't necessarily have DJ Skillz???, but they have DJ skills in that they know what songs will work in what order and they keep the crowd happy, which is really the bottom line as a club DJ.

Another one of my favorite local DJ nights involves constant mixing on 4 turntables between two DJs who play a lot of 70bpm current rap radio jamz. It's not my favorite shit to hear, but they mix it all really well so I'm all for it. Fuck, I'd listen to them cut up Puddle of Mudd all night. OK maybe not but you get the idea.

There's no right or wrong answer to the eternal Skills VS Selection battle. I just want to hear someone who's at least very adept in one category... preferably both.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    If your selections get the crowd open, they're less likely to notice if your technique isn't super flashy.

aka. gilles peterson's mantra

• Yeah, I was thinking Ron G. Kinda thin cinnamon skinned brother?

That was back when Mixtape Kings had those simple black and white covers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I just want to LOOK @ some woman who's at least very Bangin in one category... preferably both.

One of my favorite local DJ nights involves zero beatmatching and zero mixing. It's just guys with great funk and soul 45s spinning one after another. The dancefloor stays packed all night and I have a lot of respect for the guys who organize and play at the night. They don't necessarily have DJ Skillz???, but they have DJ skills in that they know what songs will work in what order and they keep the crowd happy, which is really the bottom line as a club DJ.

This reminds me of going to a Blackpool Soul Weekender in the mid 90's with a bunch of friends (where, incidentally, I witnessed a fuck-awful performance by Group Home, but that's by the by.) Anyway, me and one of the girls in our party wandered into what they call "The Old Bastards Room", a.k.a. Moder Soul Heaven in Strutspeak. We were just dancing and soaking up the vibe, and she turned to me and said, "Isn't it nice to hear a record played all the way to the end for a change?"

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    anything goes.
    It??s important that it works.

However, I would argue that selection is more important in general, because shitty selection cannot be covered by technical skills, while it usually works the other way round.

If your selections get the crowd open, they're less likely to notice if your technique isn't super flashy.

aka. gilles peterson's mantra