jazz chords on the keyboard

LuminLumin 807 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
ok i have to admit im not as proficient on the rhodes as id like to be. it would be nice to get some instruction but funds are a lil low at the moment.can someone hook me up with some jazz chords?i dont care if you use the technical term for the chord, but please help with the bass keynotes.for instance, i can play a dm7 with my right with no problem, but locating the bass keys that sound right has been an issue.the type of keys i have been lookin to play are like the ones at the beginning of EW&F's Clover.i know there are some folks on here that have some musical education.

Comments

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

You should check out this book... ignore the horrifying cover art, it's really good. It covers lots of chord forms, progressions, bass substitutions, and I think there's a chapter on Latin jazz.

I need to buy another copy, I was going to bring mine when I moved but I think it's in storage.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    that cover is great!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i got that book! this one dude mark de clive lowe recommended it to me. hes a real dope keys player.
    man i havent really got into it since it was pretty complex, but damn i totally forgot i owned that. i need to get back into that.

i got that book! this one dude mark de clive lowe recommended it to me. hes a real dope keys player.
    man i havent really got into it since it was pretty complex, but damn i totally forgot i owned that. i need to get back into that.

Yeah it's def. a little intimidating... I don't know what to say except that it's the real deal, and it's dense. It goes much further than the other jazz piano books I've seen into modern techniques and voicings.

I took jazz piano lessons for a couple of years and we started using that book about eight months in. Actually I bought another copy on Amazon last night after this thread...

• all this reminds me I need to break out the:

• ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
    So what about books for complete beginners on the piano ? I've always wanted to learn to get down on the keys jazz/soul style, but funding for lessons just isn't there. Teachers here only play 80s rock/classical anyways..Anything I should look for ?

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    all this reminds me I need to break out the:

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    So what about books for complete beginners on the piano ? I've always wanted to learn to get down on the keys jazz/soul style, but funding for lessons just isn't there. Teachers here only play 80s rock/classical anyways..Anything I should look for ?

see this was more along the lines of what i was asking about
    i needed some super basic instructions on how to choose bassnotes for certain chords. i do need to check that book out.
    and i feel you on the 80s rock and classical thing. im really not interested in that either

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

see this was more along the lines of what i was asking about
    i needed some super basic instructions on how to choose bassnotes for certain chords. i do need to check that book out.
    and i feel you on the 80s rock and classical thing. im really not interested in that either

Try this page:

http://www.learnjazzpiano.com/citadel/scotcit.mvc?room_desc=1&room_id=1074922438&hall_id=1074921458

I think the Levine book does have a few pages of basic scales and chord voicings. But he goes through it pretty quick, blink and you miss it.

We used this book for more basic theory. Nothing mindblowing, and not specifically jazz/soul related. But it's pretty well-done and the information is there.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    gracias