Weekday Finds

Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Finds from a early in the week diggin trip. Except the David Axelrod, which was a $15 ebay find that just arrived in the mail...and this....Which I picked up today at a local Salvation Army store. Its a Christian Folk Psych LP that contains the song "Ride On" which has a long drum solo that leads into a Jaw Crunching Drum Break. And the song "Universal Rhythm" which is a funky bass and drum heavy track.Even came complete with a lyric book.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've got a spare Tom Belt if anyone needs one

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    all from one packed garage:

^^^ the theme here is 'white folks and other oddities'. center right is toronto folk
    festival '78 with crazy throat singers and other wackiness. sound of the jets
    B-side is a cool little drum solo/classical march sorta thing called "traps drums".

^^^shaped vinyl 'theme from nypd blue', like wha?

^^^ 'bassevolution' has some really freaky spoken word/alien talk on it. the missing
    link is fairly awful but fascinating, claiming to be the "first jewish rock album".
    ever seen a rambo OST before? lower right is a kiddie record from russia. weird but
    rather charming.

^^^ finding a rolling stones with the mini-poster was a rush. yellow one is 'brian
    brain' on celluloid - strange... lisa stansfield! husky voice like cher. raer gene
    vincent in top shape.

^^^ finally found syd's 1st on harvest. sunrise is crap femme folk but how can one
    resist? raer shadows. true love is '88 rap, anyone ever heard of him?

^^^ catching up on some solid listeners

^^^ very happy to finally turn up 3 the hard way and cool breeze. that breakdancing
    record blows but its very funny.

^^^ this is WRONG

^^^ heavy pulls. trying to handle the whole weight.

• scrimboscrimbo 49 Posts
    Working late shifts this week, which means I have time to kill in the early afternoon, and that generally means I end up in a record store.

Here's the three I picked up today...

The Love Notes and Mister Magic were both sealed. The Cold Fact in the Aussie pressing on Blue Goose ('77?) And is in really good nick. Like Kris said in another post, the biggest store here normally ebays the better jazz stuff, but these all slipped through ... And change from a $20 no less!!! Store for a change.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    MISTER MAGIC

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    MISTER MAGIC

and change from a

no less!!!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    MISTER MAGIC

and change from a

no less!!!
    Stop the Hatt! bob james plays on that jazzfunkbomb. THEEEEE bob james...foll! realheadz loopz 4 daze.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    double u back the fuck off

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    .... The Cold Fact / Rodrequiz in the Aussie pressing on Blue Goose ('77?) .....

I picked a copy up (same label / release I think) from Groovy a couple of years ago too - apparently he had a big audience in Australia in the 70s / 80s? Total dug on Sugar Man since Mr Holmes put it on that Come Get It comp...

There are actually a few new things coming through at Groovy - must be some of the bits from that haul I mentioned... was in there last night and pulled one for the Gilles Petersen / Jazz Rarities crowd.

Sarah Vaughan - "The Planet is Alive, Let It Live"[/b] which features the track The Mystery Of Man... crazy album from '84 with Vaughan singing poems written by Pope John Paul II to music by Francy Boland and Lalo Shifren.

And mis-priced by the loverly staff who really don't know their beans on some of this stuff, this one goes for coin in UK/Europe but was only... well.... that would be telling now wouldn't it.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Do you like this one, Sabada?
    For me, it's the worst brazilian funk record ever recorded.
    Definitely, Miguel de Deus doesn't know how to sing, his voice is annoying and he screams a lot.
    Just my 2 cents.

Peace

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Definitely, Miguel de Deus doesn't know how to sing, his voice is annoying and he screams a lot.
    Just my 2 cents.

Peace

I love it, when i play the firt track on the bogen tube amp, its like a nuclear bomb. I actually love the way his voice is like a raving lunatic who cant sing and the back up voices are these totally smooth sweet soul sister vocals. Antonio Carlos and Jocafi have the same thing going on in some of there tracks. Its better than the Antonio Adolfo LP where he screams like that.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Working late shifts this week, which means I have time to kill in the early afternoon, and that generally means I end up in a record store.

Here's the three I picked up today...

The Love Notes and Mister Magic were both sealed. The Cold Fact in the Aussie pressing on Blue Goose ('77?) And is in really good nick. Like Kris said in another post, the biggest store here normally ebays the better jazz stuff, but these all slipped through ... And change from a $20 no less!!! Store for a change.
    Hey James, I got that Cold Fact at one of those Morningside record fairs last year for $2, great album. Check out the review I did of it for waxidermy.com Rodriguez is actually a pretty fascinating story.

.... The Cold Fact / Rodrequiz in the Aussie pressing on Blue Goose ('77?) .....

I picked a copy up (same label / release I think) from Groovy a couple of years ago too - apparently he had a big audience in Australia in the 70s / 80s? Total dug on Sugar Man since Mr Holmes put it on that Come Get It comp...

There are actually a few new things coming through at Groovy - must be some of the bits from that haul I mentioned... was in there last night and pulled one for the Gilles Petersen / Jazz Rarities crowd.

Sarah Vaughan - "The Planet is Alive, Let It Live"[/b] which features the track The Mystery Of Man... crazy album from '84 with Vaughan singing poems written by Pope John Paul II to music by Francy Boland and Lalo Shifren.

And mis-priced by the loverly staff who really don't know their beans on some of this stuff, this one goes for coin in UK/Europe but was only... well.... that would be telling now wouldn't it.
    Rodriguez was reasonably big here, in OZ & definitely South Africa. I love that LP. Check my waxidermy.com review of it, other people chimed in with comments & some interesting info about the guy. I love Groovy's pricing system sometimes.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

took a chance a few weeks back on ebay, the seller said it was in very good condition. Just got it in the mail today, it looks near mint. $1 plus shipping well spent

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    some new finds
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I also found a Bear Family record with this guys stuff

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

pretty funny rockabilly weirdness of there.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    $1 plus shipping well spent

i'd say so! well done!

here's what i got this week. bottom 5 are sealed:

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i like the finds over sunset look.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

took a chance a few weeks back on ebay, the seller said it was in very good condition. Just got it in the mail today, it looks near mint. $1 plus shipping well spent

i love it when gambles like this pay off. of course, they often don't

i love it when gambles like this pay off. of course, they often don't

yup

hammertime - I still need that Janet Helms, nice one..

troubleman - mylatency turned me onto that Ascots "color me soul" record, pretty cool record. craig moerer has sealed copies buy it now for $40 which isn't too bad.

also just got this free jazz lp in the mail feat. perry robinson

and Karl Berger/David Holland "all kinds of time"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    What's the sound on the Ascots?

• and this....

Which I picked up today at a local Salvation Army store. Its a Christian Folk Psych LP that contains the song "Ride On" which has a long drum solo that leads into a Jaw Crunching Drum Break. And the song "Universal Rhythm" which is a funky bass and drum heavy track.

Even came complete with a lyric book.

great record. it has a couple of breaks and several nice loops. plus the song Jan's Song I think that is what it is -- don't have the record anymore, is sooo dope real chill and spooky.

good find.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Sweet 70s group shit. Pretty good.

Its a soul record, I wanna say from 1977 but I'm not in front of my records right now (still at work)

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

Its a soul record, I wanna say from 1977 but I'm not in front of my records right now (still at work)

I believe it's from 1978. But it's produced by Huey P. Meaux who produced alot of great sessions (barbara lynn, etc) and it's on Crazy Cajun so it sounds like it's from the early 70's. It's pretty god damn good all the way through.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Just my 2 cents.

Peace

I love it, when i play the firt track on the bogen tube amp, its like a nuclear bomb. I actually love the way his voice is like a raving lunatic who cant sing and the back up voices are these totally smooth sweet soul sister vocals. Antonio Carlos and Jocafi have the same thing going on in some of there tracks. Its better than the Antonio Adolfo LP where he screams like that.

I'm glad you enjoy it.
    If he didn't sing this record would be much better.
    Yeah, it seems that Antonio Carlos & Jocafi had some influence over Miguel's music.
    It's a shame Miguel didn't learn to sing with them, though.

Peace

Reason for edit: sonned by my own stupidity

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Antonio Carlos and Antonio Carlos Jobim are two different dudes

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

How is it rich? great cover.