What needles for DJin' 45s????

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
what kind of needles is everyone using for Djing & sampling rare expensive 45s, I've been sportin' the Stanton 400AL's but want to try something else...Don't want to damage the vinyl but want good quality & tracking, any suggestions?

Comments

• what kind of needles is everyone using for Djing & sampling rare expensive 45s, I've been sportin' the Stanton 400AL's but want to try something else...Don't want to damage the vinyl but want good quality & tracking, any suggestions?

i know alot of people on here use diff needles for beats, but as far as cuttin 45s, these work well. anything will cue burn tho, avoid styrene or get microwave.
    what raer are you rotatin?

• I've been using the 44-G's as I've found the bottom is a little more pronouned without the shrillness of the treble that I notice with the 44-7's

• Yeah, I dig 447s as far as spinning 12s, but I here mixed revues as far as 45s and record burn go...I was wandering about some of the Ortofon mounted boys...but I don't know, I might have to go out and buy some 447s. Rotating raer Funk mostly & psych, been getting into hip hop 45s lately.

• Never heard the 44Gs, the 447s are definetly less shrill and more bottom heavy than the Stantons. Might have to check those out, thanks!

• Never heard the 44Gs

get familar

• 44-7s work for me.

• I've rocked both of them, and sonically, I'm feeling the bigger bottom over the high output.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    shure white labels

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I just ordered one of those shure M44G cartridges, I'm hoping for improvement over the SC35C that I hate.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I've been using the 44-G's as I've found the bottom is a little more pronouned without the shrillness of the treble that I notice with the 44-7's

my dad was looking for a new cartridge, i recommended the 44G never having heard it before...ended up trading him my 44-7 for it...haha

• I've rocked both of them, and sonically, I'm feeling the bigger bottom over the high output.

are these newer needles? never heard of em, but yeah, the 447s can be a bit tinny/screechy at times.

anyone know where the difference is? cartridge/stylus? would a 44g stylus change tone in a 447 cart?

holmes- were you djing with the sc35c ?

I've rocked both of them, and sonically, I'm feeling the bigger bottom over the high output.

are these newer needles? never heard of em, but yeah, the 447s can be a bit tinny/screechy at times.

anyone know where the difference is? cartridge/stylus? would a 44g stylus change tone in a 447 cart?

Not scratching, just spinning, but just a horrible cart for what I need, seems to sound better at a heavy tracking force, but I definitely don't want to run a needle at 3.5g on rare 45s.

Not scratching, just spinning, but just a horrible cart for what I need, seems to sound better at a heavy tracking force, but I definitely don't want to run a needle at 3.5g on rare 45s.

really? 3.5 doesnt seem too heavy to me,

you know you can do that trick with the tonearm lifter so that no matter how much weight you have on your needles, they'll never bottom out/gouge your vinyl right?

• I've been using the 44-G's as I've found the bottom is a little more pronouned without the shrillness of the treble that I notice with the 44-7's

LURKIN LIKE A MUHFUCKA

• are these newer needles? never heard of em, but yeah, the 447s can be a bit tinny/screechy at times.

I've been aware of them for about 6 years. I dunno where the difference, but my first guess would be in the stylus.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Just started using the 447s and I like them a lot.

• Personally I'm sick of the 44-7's since the stylus' seem so delicate and are always getting bent. I think I'm going to switch to White Labels at some point.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I wouldn't do teh White Labels. If anything I would to the Ortofon joints with the Technics headshells. That's what I normally use but I switched up to the 447s on a lark and they are working great for me. But yeah, it's one or the other for me.

• Personally I'm sick of the 44-7's since the stylus' seem so delicate and are always getting bent. I think I'm going to switch to White Labels at some point.

i feel you on that. seems like any shure is real fragile, are the white label sturdier or just nicer on your wax?

also, if you use microwave, your needles dont really mean shit, right?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Personally I'm sick of the 44-7's since the stylus' seem so delicate and are always getting bent.

That's my only beef with them... I have to replace them every 3 months or so. Well, not so much anymore thanks to relative mode. I could give two shits about a bent needle... haha!

I've rocked both of them, and sonically, I'm feeling the bigger bottom over the high output.

really? 3.5 doesnt seem too heavy to me,

you know you can do that trick with the tonearm lifter so that no matter how much weight you have on your needles, they'll never bottom out/gouge your vinyl right?
    I don't know any trick, but I get some odd midrange distortions with the SC35C, I have a V15 Type III vintage cart that is way nicer & I'm hoping the M44 will match that a little better.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    ok, so then which needle is recommended for the least needle burn effect when djing 45s?

• ok, so then which needle is recommended for the least needle burn effect when djing 45s?

Shure White Labels. Seriously.............if you're spinning 45s then you want these.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    ok, so then which needle is recommended for the least needle burn effect when djing 45s?

none of them - especailly if you're back-cue crazy.

• I'm feeling the bigger bottom

"...I know I told you I'd be true..."

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Ortofons are great for sound quality and rarely skip, but i can't say i reccommend them for avoiding cue burn. Those muthas tear records up.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    More on this subject. Verdict - Shure Whitelabels. Might just grab up a set of those myself.

• More on this subject. Verdict - Shure Whitelabels. Might just grab up a set of those myself.

so these dont tear up your records, what about sound quality? cuttin?

what are y'all microwave cowboys using to rip clean copies?

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

Please explain this trick!!!