Ripping from vinyl suggestions needed

BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I'm disconnected from the vinyl rippin streets. I had a $200 Canopus AV box but I gave it to my girlfriend. Now I have a buddy who wants a cheap way (below $75 say) to rip recs onto his PC and I don't know where to point him. Please help, thanks.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Are you on a Mac or a PC?

• My bud's on a PC. Thanks - d

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm sorry I should have asked if he has a soundcard already. If so there's free software out there.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    If he's on a PC all I do is plug from the phones jack of mixer into the mic in of my PC soundcard. I then record into that free Audacity software & then edit it using that. It's not ideal because my laptop has a basic soundcard that is a bit noisy & the mic in is mono only. But it is sufficient.

• Sorry, I should have been clearer -- he does have a sound card and he needs this stuff to be in 16 bit stereo for making movies.

Also, TT that link did not work.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Go to the Labcabin site and search for "M-Audio Transit USB Interface."

It says: "Transit brings hi-resolution 24-bit/96kHz recording and playback to any USB-compatible computer. In simple terms, this card upgrades your computer's soundcard to studio quality both for input and output. For further ease, the Transit is USB powered. The Transit comes equipped with both stereo 1/8" analog IN and OUT, as well as an optical digital IN. With a couple adaptors, you can record most sources (we wouldn't recommend mic use) with studio quality 24-bit/96kHz sound. And for discerning ears, the Transit can boost up your computer's sound card, increasing output sound quality and loudness."

I think that covers you, right? It's $80.00 so that falls in the range you're looking for I believe.

• Need something with RCA inputs

Anyone, anyone?

• Need something with RCA inputs

Anyone, anyone?

Radio Shack:

• The goal is to not lose any information as this stuff may end up playing on a theater sound system. For that reason we're ruling out 1/8" jacks. Thanks.

• It's over your budget, but I've had good luck with this:

It doesn't have RCA in ... but 1/4" and XLR inputs offer superior sound quality. I dunno ... $80 budgets and theater quality sound usually don't go hand in hand. Is the $80 a set limit for an assignment or something, or is he just short on cash?

• The goal is to not lose any information as this stuff may end up playing on a theater sound system. For that reason we're ruling out 1/8" jacks. Thanks.

"theater sound sytem" quality... for under $75... good luck is all i can say.

• I didn't say "theater sound system quality", just that the goal is to rip the audio without resolution loss and to do so on a budget. A lot of people who make movies are on a budget. It's possible and we'll figure it out. Thanks for the suggestions.

• It's over your budget, but I've had good luck with this:

It doesn't have RCA in ... but 1/4" and XLR inputs offer superior sound quality. I dunno ... $80 budgets and theater quality sound usually don't go hand in hand. Is the $80 a set limit for an assignment or something, or is he just short on cash?

Yeah just make your own custom cables from RCA to 1/4". Done and done.

I've known semi-pros who have used decent 1/8" inputs, such as on a powerbook, with no problems. Plus if you're recording from vinyl it's not going to be the quietest recording ever, at least not enough to worry about loss from RCA to 1/8". IMO