James Brown rare Livefootage question

ebonycutsebonycuts 6 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Hi, I got a bit of a desperate question:I was stupid enough to delete that amazing live-footage of James Brown's Sex Machine from his mustache-phase 1975 or 1976 on my computer and now it seems impossible to find it anywhere on the net... It's that endless, sped-up version that ends with Mr. Brown repeatedly screaming "Jam!" and the crowd completely loosing it -their cheering is almost louder than the music in the end.I found a bit of that video on youtube - here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DAfBZbz3tI(There's also a bit with "man's world" on youtube from the same concert, but it seems that viacom has bought the copyrights and taken it off.)In the UK this footage was used for a documentary by cctv called "the story of james brown" but that did not get me far...Anyway, this shit is better than any of mr Brown's live-videos I've seen so far IMO, so if any of you know anything about when this was recorded or even have bits of this video yourself, pleeze let me know.Thanks a lotDJ Cuebism

Comments

• I have some footage that I've been meaning to rip and post.

1968 Live at the Boston Garden...a few days after MLK was shot. The show is AMAZING. Like 20 min version of Man's World.

I'll get on that this week...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I have some footage that I've been meaning to rip and post.

1968 Live at the Boston Garden...a few days after MLK was shot. The show is AMAZING. Like 20 min version of Man's World.

A song or two from that show is also available on YouTube

• Word - I got the entire concert. Maybe i'll rapidshare it for the heads.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Welcome to the Strut, cubeism!

• TacitTacit 15 Posts
    not really that helpful, but somewhat related: a friend and i produced this short video about a man named james spencer (whom i work with) who was james brown's personal photographer for five years back in the 70's and is actually the man who shot the cover of the good foot lp and inside cover.

http://ixley.com/view/James_Spencer.mov

let us know what you think: [email]danielzier@gmail.com[/email]

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I have some footage that I've been meaning to rip and post.

Gotcha back

• not really that helpful, but somewhat related: a friend and i produced this short video about a man named james spencer (whom i work with) who was james brown's personal photographer for five years back in the 70's and is actually the man who shot the cover of the good foot lp and inside cover.

http://ixley.com/view/James_Spencer.mov

let us know what you think: [email]danielzier@gmail.com[/email]

Great work. He took some of the most classic JB shots ... definitely a great story. Thanks for posting.

• does anybody have any james brown future shock clips? that show is mindblowing

• does anybody have any james brown future shock clips? that show is mindblowing

I have couple of episodes on DVD (bootleg, of course) ... the dance competitions are

Of course, then there's the fact that he invited the curator from the George Washington Carver Museum onto the show ... TWICE! I mean, how about Jesse Jackson?

Anyway ... incredible show. Whenever I get some of that footage converted, I'll be sure to post some up.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    My organization actually had the whole concert available streaming for a while, but it's off our site now. However, you can still hear the whole thing, and watch a documentary (produced by us as well) called "The Politics of Soul" at http://wgbh.org/article?item_id=3196439&parent_id=345023

The story behind the recording is essentially that, in the wake of the MLK assassination, Boston was smoldering, ready to pop off into utter chaos. James Brown was going to be playing the Garden, so WGBH insisted on broadcasting the performance in an effort to keep folks in their homes and off the streets. The quality is so good because, well, we're a TV and radio station, so it better be good.

Oh, and hello all-long time listener, first time caller.

• Thanks for taking the time to look into this...

Still weird that really NO ONE knows anything about it, even though this is a James Brown concert and not some lost Andre Evans footage out of the basement. Soulstrut was kind of my last hope (complement in disguise)

I guess this will probably appear on some dvd someday anyway.

Thanks again and greetings from Stockholm

DJ Cuebism

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    does anybody have any james brown future shock clips? that show is mindblowing

I have couple of episodes on DVD (bootleg, of course) ... the dance competitions are

Of course, then there's the fact that he invited the curator from the George Washington Carver Museum onto the show ... TWICE! I mean, how about Jesse Jackson?

If it's the same person I'm thinking of, I think that curator was supposed to be a series regular (for the black history segment), which would explain why she'd be on the show more than once.

Myself, I wanna see the episode where they had Daryl Rhoades (an Atlanta-based white rock parody artist) come on the show dressed in a pimp suit, billed as "Soul Brother #10 1/2" (or something like that), and do a song called "The Suicide" (a new dance craze).

Parodying the Godfather of Soul on his own TV show - now THAT's what ya call