the winstons: "color him father" lp

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
How is the whole lp? I've had the "Amen Brother/Color him Father" 45 & I really dig both tracks.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    ive heard the lp is wack on the whole, but thats just what ive heard. never heard the thing myself, just the 45

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    ive heard the lp is wack on the whole, but thats just what ive heard. never heard the thing myself, just the 45

yeah, but I assumed this meant "no other breakz like Amen Brother". I really dig the track Color Him Father. If the other tracks are mellow like that, I'd dig.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    hey anybody else got a copy of this LP with a white label with red text?

shit got me 3% bugged

• hey anybody else got a copy of this LP with a white label with red text?

shit got me 3% bugged

Black Label/ Silver text. WL different or sumpin???

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    hey anybody else got a copy of this LP with a white label with red text?

shit got me 3% bugged

Black Label/ Silver text. WL different or sumpin???

I think its a Jamaican press or something...buggin now gone up to a full 7%

• this album is WEAKSAUCE

• this album is WEAKSAUCE

don't knock it B*tch

naw seriously, the single is adequate for my needs.

• yer. i need private issue fantasy.

• yer. i need private issue fantasy.

I'm on the case...I've been doing some mp3 transfer raers but am in progress.
    Sorry for delay, my mother board fried in a power surge last week!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    yer. i need private issue fantasy.

NO!

You needs SILVER PLATINUM on SRI

your bloodshit will thank you in the morning

• you are radical dude.

STOKED

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    How is the whole lp? I've had the "Amen Brother/Color him Father" 45 & I really dig both tracks.

The one song I've heard by this band (apart from the two mentioned above) is "Love Of The Common People," which is pretty damn corny. Didn't like it when Waylon Jennings did it, and the Winstons were no improvement.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I went to go see the winstons play a gospel festival in Richmond, VA. Strictly cause they were on the bill. They played amen brother, but it lacked the intensity of the record.

I went to go see the winstons play a gospel festival in Richmond, VA. Strictly cause they were on the bill. They played amen brother, but it lacked the intensity of the record.

When was this? They're still together?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    yeah mayne. about 5 years ago.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

yeah, but I assumed this meant "no other breakz like Amen Brother". I really dig the track Color Him Father. If the other tracks are mellow like that, I'd dig.

I was going to say that the whole album is terrible (except AB) but then you said you liked CHF... since I can't wrap my mind around something like that I am unable to say if you would like it or not... one thing I don't like about the other songs is that they have vocals, and bad ones at that, and they never really get funky again.

I was going to say that the whole album is terrible (except AB) but then you said you liked CHF... since I can't wrap my mind around something like that I am unable to say if you would like it or not... one thing I don't like about the other songs is that they have vocals, and bad ones at that, and they never really get funky again.

I don't believe the Winstons were supposed to be a funk band in the first place. "Amen Brother" was likely a one-off filler song for the flip side.

Like most people, I heard "Color Him Father" first, and figured (correctly) that the majority of their other songs would be in the pop-soul vein. I was surprised they had this blazing funk instrumental stashed away on Side B.

and I thought this would be such a simple question.

and I thought this would be such a simple question.

youll get whiskey from a milkcow before you get a "simple answer" round here

true that.

maybe a better quetchin would be - are the other tracks on the lp like that gay "Color Him Father" song?

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    true that.

maybe a better quetchin would be - are the other tracks on the lp like that gay "Color Him Father" song?

I'll have to check when I'm at home later, but my tentative answer is "yes"

• mumbosaucemumbosauce 480 Posts

When was this? They're still together?

they are still together.

they actually still perform in DC semi regularly from what I remember. I'd see their names pop up in the city paper couple times a year and bars n ish.

http://www.soul-treasures.com/featurearticles/winstons/winstons.htm

they actually have their own webpage somewhere but I can remember the link.

• MUMBOSAUCE, MUMBOSAUCE. Cool Avatar.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    xian drums own you