oooooooffff!!!

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Why? Bob James, Guru and Common fuse together jazz and hiphop poetry to makeJazzmatazz 4 and put us in a State of Clarity, follow the path of Acid Jazz

Comments

• Are they going on tour to help sell Kools?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

featuring guest appearances by Najee and Wynton Marsalis.

guess it could be worse.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

guess it could be worse.

How?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'd check this out. I'm almost 32 now and smooth jazz is sounding better and better.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I'd check this out. I'm almost 32 now and smooth jazz is sounding better and better.

so your saying you prefer live instruments over a played out triton?

live instruments are the ultimate in "played out"

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    it's worse than i thought. David Sanborn's going to be on the album too.

• Why?

Bob James, Guru and Common fuse together jazz and hiphop poetry to make

Jazzmatazz 4 and put us in a State of Clarity, follow the path of Acid Jazz

You gotta give it up to Bob though for staying current and being so involved in the hip-hop community, plus he's just a super cool guy anyway...
    Peace
    DJ Zest

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    After the first Jazzamatazz They could never get the sound right. It wasnt quite jazz and wasnt quite hip hop. Its such a tough thing to combine in the way they are trying to do it. Wobbly horn solos with guru rapping over it. not to mention guru doesnt sound so hot w/o primo

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    You gotta give it up to Bob though for staying current

recording this song isn't even the same stratosphere as "staying current."

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    I enjoyed the live shows from the first two Jazzmatazz tours.

But this is gross.

• this is shmazzmatazz. Yanni Live From The Moon type shit. cue the seagulls and wave sound effects and the seinfeld bass tone.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

like trying to excell at mediocrity

how to make smooth jazz worst add a fledgeling rapper

what "sound" are they aiming for

Yanni Live From The Moon type shit.

• godfuckingdamn that sucked. too bad, so sad.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    After the first Jazzamatazz They could never get the sound right. It wasnt quite jazz and wasnt quite hip hop. Its such a tough thing to combine in the way they are trying to do it. Wobbly horn solos with guru rapping over it. not to mention guru doesnt sound so hot w/o primo

None of that Jazzmatazz stuff really has anything to do with jazz--i.e., no real atttempt to incorporate jazz was ever made, so you can't blame its artistic failure on that.

NOZ, STOP HATING--YOU GOT TO GIVE IT TO HIM!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

None of that Jazzmatazz stuff really has anything to do with jazz--i.e., no real atttempt to incorporate jazz was ever made, so you can't blame its artistic failure on that.

Id say that bringing in musicians that traditionally play jazz music is an Attempt to incorporate. Im just saying that it never worked well musically.

Id say that bringing in musicians that traditionally play jazz music is an Attempt to incorporate. Im just saying that it never worked well musically.

They were not, for the most part, being brought in either to play jazz or on the basis of jazz playing that they'd done in the past.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    agreed

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

[rant]seriously. for him to have stayed current (w/ hiphop) he should've been hollering at run dmc back in the day, instead of decrying hiphop's originality all these years...[/rant]

agreed

I'm not trying to beef with you, by the way--I'm just saying it's not like Guru brought in Max Roach or somebody like that.

He brought in dudes like Roy Ayers, Donald Byrd and Ramsey Lewis who had ceased playing jazz long ago and attained their greatest fame playing other music. Not saying it's bad, but I always found it dishonest to front like it actually was an attempt to integrate jazz and rap.

• He should have called it "Tasty Jazztronica".

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    the real answer here would be to get a time machine, put Guru in it. Make sure he has enough snacks to last the whole ride. Make sure he has something inspiring to listen to like:
    maybe let him invite a friend. and send him back to the Dark ages where he could put some lute player up on some fonky next level 1983 George Benson joints and kick smooth lyrics over it for some royalty and call it a night.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

guess it could be worse.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

featuring guest appearances by Wynton Marsalis.

• what is that shite sounding keyboard bobby is playing? its like he is parodying his cti albums.

this song is absolutely worthless, nothing about it is redeeming.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts