what happened to The Root Down?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Bear with me cause I'm going off no coffee and no sleep, but last night I DJ'd Root Down for the first time since Dusk passed and I can honestly say it just isn't the same anymore. Obviously Dusk not being there is a major reason, but it was also the crowd. I think we've finally crossed over to a new generation who have no connection to the music that's played there. Anybody else notice this? Maybe it was just last night, but it seemed kinda bugged out to me.

Comments

• I wanted to go last night, but I fell asleep at like 10.
    that's dissapointing to hear though. If I was there you would have at least one goofy dude poorly dancing up a storm.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I mean, it was cool, it just wasn't how it used to be.
    Z-Trip came through, Aloe Blacc and Lyrics Born got on the mic and hyped the crowd and Noz and Faux's favorite MC, Aceyalone was in the house, but the vibe that night used to have just wasn't there. I think as time goes by new people (read: not old like us ) come through who have no point of reference to the music and it makes it hard to have a night like that.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have always wanted to play Root Down.

Dude, you should have played some UPP for them.

• Damn dude sorry to hear that. I was gonna try and make it out but wifey wasn't feelin' so hot. I think that the crowd turnover happened a long time ago at Gabba when the watercooler posses started meeting up there. Anyways, hopefully they gave you more than the typical 2 drink tickets.

• or maybe it's just a thursday in Feb. I have no point of reference to the "good ole dayz," but aren't most things way cooler in the first couple of years when it's fresher??? the shit's like KRS - classic and still dope (IMO) but not the same excitement as being at Union Square or watching him throw a certain person I used to manage off the stage

• day - you should do the Do-Over this summer. Excellent vibe there.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I mean, it was cool, it just wasn't how it used to be.
    Z-Trip came through, Aloe Blacc and Lyrics Born got on the mic and hyped the crowd and Noz and Faux's favorite MC, Aceyalone was in the house, but the vibe that night used to have just wasn't there. I think as time goes by new people (read: not old like us ) come through who have no point of reference to the music and it makes it hard to have a night like that.

As someone whose younger than y'all, it's one of those things I've always wanted to go to, I've just never been in LA when it's happening. But I do think you're spot on about my generation, as sad as that is.

Side note, but I found out awhile back that DJ Dusk went to the same college as I go to now, and when I go through hip-hop promos at our radio station's library, some of them have these reviews that list the big samples used in each song. I can't help but think that was his doing. Thank you Dusk.

• Rootdown was really crackin late 90's early 2000's...glad I was there to experience it...then again I was under-age at the time and having my ladyfriend sneak me in was thrilling enough on its own

The new location is definately nice, but it's become a bit more of a "valet park and get a couple of drinks at the bar while watching sportscenter" type of vibe

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I think that the crowd turnover happened a long time ago at Gabba when the watercooler posses started meeting up there.

Yeah, I remember hearing about Elijah Wood shaking his moneymaker up in there and I knew it had turned a corner.

That said, I don't want people to get the wrong idea. I still had a good time. My set came off, people were getting down and overall everything was straight. It just felt like the family vibe was gone somewhat. They've been doing it for almost a decade so it's a given that things are gonna change.

here's some pics

back of lyrics born's dome

Big shout out to Shig, Tate, HairyBelafonte and Belson(!) for coming through last night

• Bear with me cause I'm going off no coffee and no sleep, but last night I DJ'd Root Down for the first time since Dusk passed and I can honestly say it just isn't the same anymore.

Obviously Dusk not being there is a major reason, but it was also the crowd. I think we've finally crossed over to a new generation who have no connection to the music that's played there.
    Anybody else notice this? Maybe it was just last night, but it seemed kinda bugged out to me.

Honestly i think the Dusk thing is sort of a default sort of excuse for it. i think the change from gabah to little temple gave the night a different vibe. plus i think all those that are part of the scene have sort of grown up and moved on, so there isn't a ton of folks to shepherd in the new crowd and the newer crowds are just kind of doing what they think they should be doing. the music is still pretty much top notched. its one night that has stood the test of time, i think the night will be around for awhile longer.

Honestly i am rarely hit with anything that actually perks my interest these days as far as music. i would rather stay home work on some music and move forward. there isn't much out there that is really motivating.

On a side note Day killed it. lackluster crowd or not...

• zzzzup day! i think ive only gone like twice. both times u were dj'ng. its alrite but if i dont have a reason to go, im not there.

that said, i put my fliers down at that lil table and they threw them out.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

As someone whose younger than y'all, it's one of those things I've always wanted to go to, I've just never been in LA when it's happening. But I do think you're spot on about my generation, as sad as that is.

Couldn't agree anymore.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    The last time I hit a Root Down was at the Gabah - I kinda agree with the 'vibe' of the crowd last night.

More than a few people getting their heavy drink on near the front towards the decks, and I spied more than one instance of shitty attitude 'tween different groups.

It definitely wasn't popping off as it should have been....and for as long as I could stay, Day was certainly cooking with gas as well as Slo Poke. And it was nice to hear some quality MC'ing for a change.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Day was certainly cooking with gas

Sorry, that must have been the Del Taco.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Sorry, that must have been the Del Taco.

....maybe you needs to change that cologne

Nice job last night, fellow. I shall pick up a phone later.

• Yeah, I remember hearing about Elijah Wood shaking his moneymaker up in there and I knew it had turned a corner.

One of the 2 times I went to that party he was there. Crowd was lovin him and he seemed cool?

Side note: I've been to Lil Temple (it's like 5 blocks away from the crib) but never the rootdown since it's moved. i've got to say - for me it's harder to go out on the weeknights - cuz i got a day job? I just sounded like i'm 95 yrs old (i'm 31) - but the truth is i'm not really hittin any party up on the regular? I am glad it's around though.

• Yeah man... I was gonna try to make it out but passed out early. I would agree the last time I was there was but a few weeks ago I was there for J-Rocc and he killed it and so did Miles.. the crowd was cool and I had a blast.. maybe its different each night... ALSO I have to co-sign with Pistol on the Do-Over.. if they do it this summer you need to be part of that.. I want in to so bring me with you!!!