School me on "Stack-O-Hits" Records (RR)

SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone know anything about "Stack-O-Hits" Records? They were the label that released the in-demand, and recently reissued, Touch of Class "Love Means Everything" album, which consisted of tracks from their Midland Records "I'm In Heaven" album plus 2 then-previously unreleased tracks.A Google search came up with a seemingly random list of records from a diverse group of artists, including Son House and Eric Clapton. I-Got-That-Beat's latest auction features 2 albums on the label from New Birth which I have never seen or heard of before.Was "Stack-O-Hits" some sort of tax scam label, similar to Guinness and Tiger Lily?SG

Comments

• Anyone know anything about "Stack-O-Hits" Records? They were the label that released the in-demand, and recently reissued, Touch of Class "Love Means Everything" album, which consisted of tracks from their Midland Records "I'm In Heaven" album plus 2 then-previously unreleased tracks.

A Google search came up with a seemingly random list of records from a diverse group of artists, including Son House and Eric Clapton. I-Got-That-Beat's latest auction features 2 albums on the label from New Birth which I have never seen or heard of before.

Was "Stack-O-Hits" some sort of tax scam label, similar to Guinness and Tiger Lily?

Stack-O-Hits was a budget label out of Hendersonville, TN, and was the sister label of Koala (which released those "early Al Jarreau" discs that are always being talked about on this list). Like most budget labels do, they released early (or late) material by well-known performers. The one I have is by Billy Vera, a reissue of some mid-70s sides meant to cash in on his minor '80s fame with Billy & the Beaters. (Very minor - this was a few years before he and the Beaters had a #1 hit with "At This Moment.")

Most of the covers of the Koala/Stack-O-Hits albums had the following disclaimer, something along the lines of "the illustrations on this cover are merely a commercial concept for this album and are not meant to represent the artist as he or she currently appears." (I guess they put that there just so no one would confuse the five-year-old white girl on the cover of Screamin' Jay Hawkins' Little Bitty Pretty One with Screamin' Jay himself.)

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Anyone know anything about "Stack-O-Hits" Records? They were the label that released the in-demand, and recently reissued, Touch of Class "Love Means Everything" album, which consisted of tracks from their Midland Records "I'm In Heaven" album plus 2 then-previously unreleased tracks.

A Google search came up with a seemingly random list of records from a diverse group of artists, including Son House and Eric Clapton. I-Got-That-Beat's latest auction features 2 albums on the label from New Birth which I have never seen or heard of before.

Was "Stack-O-Hits" some sort of tax scam label, similar to Guinness and Tiger Lily?

Stack-O-Hits was a budget label out of Hendersonville, TN, and was the sister label of Koala (which released those "early Al Jarreau" discs that are always being talked about on this list). Like most budget labels do, they released early (or late) material by well-known performers. The one I have is by Billy Vera, a reissue of some mid-70s sides meant to cash in on his minor '80s fame with Billy & the Beaters. (Very minor - this was a few years before he and the Beaters had a #1 hit with "At This Moment.")

Most of the covers of the Koala/Stack-O-Hits albums had the following disclaimer, something along the lines of "the illustrations on this cover are merely a commercial concept for this album and are not meant to represent the artist as he or she currently appears." (I guess they put that there just so no one would confuse the five-year-old white girl on the cover of Screamin' Jay Hawkins' Little Bitty Pretty One with Screamin' Jay himself.)

Thanks for the !

I had a feeling something was odd about this label...the cover of the Touch of Class LP (I got the re-ish) has absolutely nothing to do with the music on the album.

SG

• Anyone know anything about "Stack-O-Hits" Records? They were the label that released the in-demand, and recently reissued, Touch of Class "Love Means Everything" album, which consisted of tracks from their Midland Records "I'm In Heaven" album plus 2 then-previously unreleased tracks.

they must have raided Midland at some point...now that i think about it, all or most of that billy vera album i got was originally on that label