"Find the Illegal Immigrant" game = NAGL

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
surprised no one else has posted this up...http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--immigrantgame0221feb21,0,4191019.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyorkNew York University students plan 'illegal immigrant' game[/b] February 21, 2007, 7:42 AM ESTNEW YORK (AP) _ In what it says is an attempt to get students to debate the issue of illegal immigration, a student Republican club at New York University has dreamed up a novel game that has some on campus calling the event "racist."In the game planned for Thursday, called "Find the Illegal Immmigrant," members of the club who present their NYU identification become immigration agents looking for an illegal in the crowd. The agent who successfully identifies the illegal immigrant wins a gift certificate.Students have sent club officials e-mails calling the the event "racist" and "disgusting." But the club said it is about stoking debate on the issue of illegal immigrants."It's not a racist event, first and foremost," said Sarah Chambers, the 21-year-old president of the College Republicans. "Just because we don't want illegal immigrants being able to completely disregard the laws of our country doesn't make us racist."Other students have said they will protest the event.

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

seriously, people are crazy.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    the gift certificate is for a free dinner at a really great "ethnic" restaurant in the village.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Not sayin' it's not racist. But the illegal immigrant could just as easily be from Canada or Europe. There's mad crazy ass Canadians who r illegal in ur country!

Speaking about being illegal. The worst ever was the time I went to stay in Britian for 6 months. They kept me for 7 hours at the airport drilling me about everything under the sun. Same with the time I went to Arizona to stay with my girlfriend. I missed my flight over immigration drilling me.

The answer was STUDENT VISAS!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the illegal immigrant could just as easily be from Canada or Europe.

yes, but how swarthy are they?

too bad Miss Sarah did not have the PR skills to point out that illegal immigrants come in all shades.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Speaking about being illegal. The worst ever was the time I went to stay in Britian for 6 months. They kept me for 7 hours at the airport drilling me about everything under the sun. Same with the time I went to Arizona to stay with my girlfriend. I missed my flight over immigration drilling me.

no offense to you or your plight with immigration status, but I think the "worst ever" type moments probably belong to people like my brother in law who was deported back to Mexico as child apart from his family and had to survive on his own until he was able to get reconnected to them. He has several burns on his body from this time period (He was 12 when separated).

The face of illegal immigration here in America as been the Mexican, never mind the Canadians, or Asians, Latino (particularly those from Mexico) have been singled out and vilified for seeking a better life.

To make a game out of catching them is disgusting, without saying the ethnicity of the "illegal immigrant" in this game, the person most likely to come up in peoples mind is a Latino. and to make a game with them that singles them out cause they are not "one of us" does nothing to open discussion but rather re-enforces an air of superiority these fuckers have over who belongs where.

the illegal immigrant could just as easily be from Canada or Europe.

yes, but how swarthy are they?

too bad Miss Sarah did not have the PR skills to point out that illegal immigrants come in all shades.

Not to get off the game subject. But have you noticed in Toronto that immigration officals have been going after the portuguese community alot it seems. Or atleast in the media.

Anywho,

Have you been out at all for winterlicious? We must eat soon. Our friend has been teaching me more words....

no offense to you or your plight with immigration status, but I think the "worst ever" type moments probably belong to people like my brother in law who was deported back to Mexico as child apart from his family and had to survive on his own until he was able to get reconnected to them. He has several burns on his body from this time period (He was 12 when separated).

The face of illegal immigration here in America as been the Mexican, never mind the Canadians, or Asians, Latino (particularly those from Mexico) have been singled out and vilified for seeking a better life.

To make a game out of catching them is disgusting, without saying the ethnicity of the "illegal immigrant" in this game, the person most likely to come up in peoples mind is a Latino. and to make a game with them that singles them out cause they are not "one of us" does nothing to open discussion but rather shows an air of superiority these fuckers over who belongs where.

Oh no doubt. I wasn't trying to suggest that my problems were anywhere near the level that others have gone through.
    Just that I, have had issues also.

But anywho,

Making a game of something as serious as this issue wasn't a good look.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    College Republicans and similar orgs have been doing this for a couple years now. Their other favorite is the "Affirmative Action Bake Sale," in which each item is differently priced based on the race of the buyer.

The only reason they do this shit is to stir up controversy and get ink in papers and whatnot. Even though they try to position it as "an attempt to open up a dialog" or "an illustration of point," it's just a publicity stunt. See this article for further explanation about CRs and their offshoot groups.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    wheres all the resident strut republicans to defend this 'open dialouge'?

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I think that you posted this because - at some level - you like how angry it makes you feel.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think that you posted this because - at some level - you like how angry it makes you feel.

I think I posted it cause this is a website that discusses a lot of issues similar to this and I enjoy the discourse.

its a story thats made a lot of national publications today and I thought it was worthwhile to post.

My anger is better focused on more trivial soulstrut postings and production assistants

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This wouldn't be much a sport in san diego. I think the term is "shooting fish in a barrell".

The weird thing is, I was in the desert this weekend and saw 2 coyotes saturday night. If you aren't sure whether I saw animals or people, you probably live near the border.